Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 9:31am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Hand Care: Callus Problems

I try to get most of my weekly resistance training out of kettlebells anymore. I love that it's something different and the total body workout you get during a class. The only problem is that I seem to be prone to large callus build-up on my hands and eventually I tear them. I haven't found a good system for sanding them down that seems to work nor am I sure what exactly I should be supplementing my hand care with (e.g. some RKC's recommend Cornhusker Lotion, but I haven't tried it regularly). I have learned that chalking up regularly for really hand intense movements like snatchs helps, but lately even just cleaning the bells hurts.

Any advice out there or product recommendations. It gets to the point where I have to take days off of training because my hands hurt so much. I have thought about getting some gloves just for days when my hands are really bad, but I'm not a fan since they change your grip.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All that I've tried is chalking.

From what I understand, calluses need moisture to form. I'd assume you could also just wipe your hands off frequently and interupt he hell out of your workout...
    Last edited by Fishgod; 9/23/2008 11:40am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 11:40am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I just chalk before every exercise at this point?

I definitely sweat a lot during a KB class so the moisture thing seems to hold validity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 11:43am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um

Stop masturbating

No seriously

Wear gloves

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 11:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's basically what I do but I usually work out at home so I can do stuff at various times throughout the day, without worrying about dealing with a class's time constraints.

I just have a little tub of chalk under the bench that I put my hands into if they're getting moist.

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 2:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't even lift much but i have huge calluses the size of dimes on both my hands at the joint of both middle and ring fingers, probably from riding bike. oh and doing pull ups. i always wear gloves. i don't think it really matters.

i ripped one off a few days ago and pulled off skin partway up my middle finger. have you ever exposed the flesh under the joints? it burns!

i usually just cut them off with a utility knife.
    :new_all_c

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 3:36am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pick mine off...

Wear weight lifting gloves, they've worked for me when I remember to bring them with me.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/24/2008 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    calluses are the human body's way of protecting itself from idiots who won't fucking wear gloves. pick one.

even a pair of thin, tight fitting gloves will help. anything that reduces/relocates the sliding pressure against your skin will slow the formation of calluses while still providing the protection your hands pretty obviously want, and not changing your grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 3:39pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's too bad kettlbells aren't made with rotating handles like some barbells are, it'd be a neat kinda variety, though probably too unstable for a lot of people... the thing is, the friction provided by your skin, though uncomfortable and stuff, does help you to control the rotation speed so it isn't too rapid and smashes into your or something. It will go faster with less friction. That can be interesting too since it requires more awareness to control it, but might be dangerous too...

Is there some truth behinds hands getting thicker over time when exposed to this kind of stress? As in, they become tougher and do not callus as much because the cells divide faster or something in response to the activity? I don't really know since I don't have a lot of experience with this.

It's probably a lot due to the immobility and smallness of the stuff we grab, be it handles or bars or whatever. Compared to grabbing something soft that you need to really 'squeeze' to anchor yourself too, like hair or an animals' hairy loose skin or something. I wish there were something to simulate that, I bet if we were doing chinups on lion manes we wouldn't get calluses and we'd have thick forearms to boot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2008 12:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some might disagree, but I actually prefer to workout without the gloves. If your gym allows it, use chalk every session. If you aren't able, one thing you might consider is soaking your hands, grabbing a pumice stone and something to scrape with, and using the stone and scraper after soaking your hands in warm water. Try to even he callus to the shape of your hand. It shouldn't hurt a bit, if it doeas at all, stop and move to the next one. Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast