Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 8:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Instructional - Morote Gari

Morote-gari is often regarded in judo as a "wrestlers throw" or a desperation technique. This is because most people will only attempt it from a distance, generally with no grip. This can and does work but morote-gari can be used from a grip very effectively. It was my main throw for quite some time and is still one I rely on heavily.

There is a big difference between a competition style judo morote gari and a wrestling double. The intent of a wrestling double is to plant your opponent on the mat in a controlled position to allow further progression on the ground. The intent is a judo morote gari is to throw the opponent with fairly high amplitude and land them on their back. Control on the ground afterwards is a plus but not required as if the throw is successful you will get ippon and the match is over.

Below is a vid of me demonstrating my morote gari in a situation where I find it is very effective. The situation is from a grip where you opponent attacks and you step off the attack. As the opponent is stepping backwards out of the failed techinque you shoot the morote-gari. I apologise for the video, it's not my best technique. We had a pretty hard class tonight so I was kind of bagged when we recorded this after class. The first throw is pretty sub-par but will give you the idea. The second is better and demonstrate the ideal for a judo competition, good amplitude and finish though I lose control at the end and roll off him. For this throw it's not uncommon for this to happen since you put a lot of force and momentum into it to generate the amplitude and forward kuzushi. For competition judo this is fine, since you'll get ippon and the match will be over. The last throw I tried to back off the momentum a bit and land in control (which would be preferable if you were to use this in BJJ/grappling). That's harder for this technique and you're probably better off using a wrestling double since it's more suited to control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5qpGuseMs

The other preface for the vid is that I'm also taking it a bit easy on my uke (partner) by letting up at the last minute. In a more competitive setting you'll bear down harder on your opponent with your shoulder and maintain contact on the descent. This will result in a much harder fall and usually land you in better control. Picture the last throw with a bit more height and force. I often did a front somesault over my opponent (with my shoulder square in the middle of his chest) if I hit it completely right on. Not really something you want to do on a regular basis with your training partners though.

So now to walk you through the process of the throw. Timing is a big part of this. When your opponent attacks, you defend and wait for him to step backwards. As he is stepping backwards you commence your attack. He can't counter you while he is moving backwards. Let go with both hands and step forwards, bending your knees slightly to lower your center of gravity far enough so that your shoulder is going to hit his sternum or so. Both hands grab your opponet's legs. You should be grabbing around mid-thigh or so, not at the knees like a double. Grabbing mid-thigh also allows you to block your opponent if he somewhat manages to catch his balance and tries to do uchi-mata which is the natural counter for this throw. If you have hold mid-thigh it gives you enough control of his leg to push it back if he starts turing into you (though if you've timed the throw correctly in this situation he can't since he's walking backwards). Once you've secured your grip,. drive forwards and upwards. Use your grip on his legs to keep his back pointed towards the mat. Once his balance is broken, change your push from upwards to downwards, using your contact on his chest to drive him down. Your momentum may roll you off him when you hit the ground but in judo competition that's fine since you'll likely get ippon. If you're in BJJ/grappling, try to pull back as you drive down to finish in a position of control.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. It's a bit higher level than a wresling double, and seems to rely more on speed and forward momentum. But it seems very workable as a counter. I like it, and may try it the next time I randori. You're doing it head outside, right?

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:49pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice. I have a stupid Judo-n00b rules question: is touching one's knee to the ground during a takedown a no-no? I'm thinking of the classic "duck walking" version of this move from freestyle wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClG2VGOt60c

... which is illegal in shuai jiao, while the one in your video is completely acceptable, and wondering if the judo rules are the same.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:56pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting a "no longer available" message when I click play :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    Nice. I have a stupid Judo-n00b rules question: is touching one's knee to the ground during a takedown a no-no? I'm thinking of the classic "duck walking" version of this move from freestyle wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClG2VGOt60c

... which is illegal in shuai jiao, while the one in your video is completely acceptable, and wondering if the judo rules are the same.

Thanks in advance.
    That would be okay in judo shiai as long as it was fluid. If there's a pause when your knee hits the ground you could end up with a shido or your throw not counting for a score (being counted as a takedown to ne-waza rather than a throw). The other problem with it compared to my version in terms of getting a score is that it looks pretty easy for the opponent to land on their ass which would only get you a koka.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Nice. It's a bit higher level than a wresling double, and seems to rely more on speed and forward momentum. But it seems very workable as a counter. I like it, and may try it the next time I randori. You're doing it head outside, right?
    Yeah, the head is on the outside. I try to maintain contact with my head on the body though to guide the opponent down and stop him rotating to his stomach if he tries to spin out.

Which reminds me of another important point. If the opponent tries to spin to his stomach, just rotate your shoulders counter to his spin. Just focus on planting his hips and lower back flat onto the mat by guiding that part down using your control of the legs. If you can maintain his hips and lower back hitting square onto the mat it won't matter what his upper body does, it'll be an ippon score.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    I'm getting a "no longer available" message when I click play :/
    That's weird, it's playing fine for me (just re-checked it now)

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 3:51pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you usually duck your head when you're going for morote gari, or rather, is it necessary to duck your head? If so, how do you prevent the guy from taking the guillotine?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:21pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoBum
    That's weird, it's playing fine for me (just re-checked it now)
    Hmm... it's working for me now :/

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Do you usually duck your head when you're going for morote gari, or rather, is it necessary to duck your head? If so, how do you prevent the guy from taking the guillotine?
    Taking the guillotine isn't really a serious problem since in judo if he lands on his back he loses via ippon (regardless of his guillotine attempt).

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have problems with doubles while wearing a gi because it is easier to stuff. How is this dealt with in judo?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast