Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:37pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arnis/Kali/Escrima - Will die a slow slow death unless someone can pick it up and fix the way schools are approaching it.

* Incorporate the Dog Brothers mindset of active pressure testing. (Throw in WEKAF armor or padded stick style as well for kiddies/less hardcore people)

* Better marketing better.
    With all the hollywood screentime FMA gets. It's a wonder it's not more popular.

My dumbass friends(read: general public): "Har Har Har. There's no such thing as Filipino Martial arts. Bourne Identity was Krav Maga. Now that's a REAL martial art."

* Get the WEKAF to include switch to a fencing helmet only or at least have the option to use the really really stiff padded sticks instead of wearing that godforsaken homosexual armor. We need a UFC/Pride of weapons fighting. Something that could maybe let those Historical Fencing types, the CMA weapons types, and the Kendo players join in too.

Format of a FMA class should be like this:
    * classes 3 - 4 times a week.
    * Each night focusing on a different aspect.
    One night is sticks, One night is knife, one night is empty hand, last night is pure sparring and mixing it up with whatever combinations the students want to do.

Format of each class should be similar to a Judo class.

Light/Medium warmup (MA Class isn't for getting in shape. It's for conditioning and learning, Get in shape on your own time goddammit) - consists of stretching, warm-up dead pattern drills.

Learning new fundamentals/drills/techniques/applications/footwork and refining technique.

Last part of every class should be similar to randori except with weapons. Not as hardcore as the night that focuses on only sparring/application. but It's important that application under pressure happen in every class. IMHO.

That kind of curriculum and outline for a FMA school would keep retention up.
    New recruits coming in. and Produce skilled weapons fighters.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need a UFC/Pride of weapons fighting. Something that could maybe let those Historical Fencing types, the CMA weapons types, and the Kendo players join in too.
    That's starting to happen, mostly on a small-scale, local basis. It would be a good topic for a new thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 3:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Why are you still doing t3h chun then? You on a contract or something?
    Nah, nothing like that. I checked out most of the other martial art classes near to where I live and which are at times that I can go to, and they where all pretty dire.

At least in my present chun class there is a bit of sparring sometimes, the teacher is a decent person, the other people in the class are all fairly normal (there are some right odd balls in some other chun schools that I have visited though), I do find stuff like Chi Sao to be fun and it is a good work out.

I have found that if I just look at it as a step above Tai Chi in the martial arts stakes and not the ultiamte deadly, then I can just enjoy it for what it is. The sad part is that some people do get so dogmatic about the whole thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    That's starting to happen, mostly on a small-scale, local basis. It would be a good topic for a new thread.
    Yeah, but since this is BS and not so much a weapons martial arts forum.
    I'd probably start it on the Dogbrothers forum
    since there are probably more FMA, CMA weapons, JMA weapons and Historical Western Fencing types there.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:53pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The serious kendo players don't give a **** about that sort of thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 2:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG
    I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind testing their skills against other weapons/arts.

Unless their scurred they wouldn't be able to compete.
    Which is probably the truth.

I could take your *****-ass argument and apply it to pure judoka or pure kareteka.

"Serious karate players don't give a **** about MMA."
    "Serious judoka don't give a **** about MMA"

Works for CMA too.

"Chunning is for the Str33t/D34dly"
    "Wushu players don't give a **** about MMA."

I wonder why? Maybe its cuz they get their ass kicked if they don't adapt?
    Im thinking so.

Is that why you wouldn't take on a FMAer? or a CMA weapons guy?
    Don't even try that bullshit that "you're too good" or Kendo is above that
    thats just some weak **** that the Chunners or TKDers would use.

I fail to see a legitimate reason why a JMA weapons guy wouldnt want to try his hand against a western sabre fencer or a FMAer double or single baston or a CMA weapons guy with a Dao or Jian.

Sounds bout right.

Are all kendo players ***** ass motherfuckers like you?
    I'm just curious.
    Last edited by variance; 10/27/2007 2:09am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 4:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind testing their skills against other weapons/arts.

Unless their scurred they wouldn't be able to compete.
    Which is probably the truth.

I could take your *****-ass argument and apply it to pure judoka or pure kareteka.

"Serious karate players don't give a **** about MMA."
    "Serious judoka don't give a **** about MMA"

Works for CMA too.

"Chunning is for the Str33t/D34dly"
    "Wushu players don't give a **** about MMA."

I wonder why? Maybe its cuz they get their ass kicked if they don't adapt?
    Im thinking so.
    It has nothing to do with being syperior or inferior to MMA. I've competed in pankration and have gotten destroyed on the ground. Do I train groundfighting like mad now? No, I take my other training pretty seriously and would rather bring my stand up and weapon skills to a high level. I don't really compete in the sport anymore, because I think its not for me. There's only so much time in the week, and some people would rather be outstanding at one aspect than mediocre at all ranges. Also, some people would rather spend their time doing what they like the most, instead of what is best for fighting. I've known people that just do muay thai, and I've known people that just do jiujitsu; they are serious players who really don't give a **** about MMA, and that's fine. Maybe a jiujitsu guy isn't too keen on being punched, so he doesn't focus on MMA. Whatever.
    I know a few wushu people. They don't give a **** about MMA, and its not because they know they'd get demolished in it. Its just not how they spend their time. They practice their martial arts because they enjoy it and find value in it, not to be the most badass. Can you fault them for that?

Applied to kendo, a lot of kendo people don't view kendo as a sword fighting method. They view it as a sport. Would you find it odd for high level fencing competitors to not be super fond of weapon MMA? They aren't exactly weapon fighters, they're fencers. They like fencing. Does that make them pussies?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 11:00am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG
    Looks like some do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfno9HUdymA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    some pretty cool ****.

I apologize for the inflammatory reply.

Its just I got annoyed by the "stuck up" or condescending nature of his reply.

I don't mean any real disrespect to JMA weapons guys.
    but to claim that all serious kendo players don't give a **** about that would be inaccurate was more of my point.

My point is that all serious Weapon MAers. regardless of style. a good amount of them would be interested or wouldn't mind trying their hand in a unified ruleset allowing different arts to cross wooden blades so to say.

of course some would have to adjust and couldn't remain pure. you couldn't do sport foil fencing in it for example. you'd have to do more of a historical/realistic fencing style.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    Its just I got annoyed by the "stuck up" or condescending nature of his reply.
    I think you read too much into his sentence. A lot of serious kendo players wouldn't be interested, but its not because they feel superior. They just like kendo. A lot off serious boxers don't want to compete in MMA. They don't think they're superior, they just like boxing.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast