Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:34pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you see the future of your art?

With MMA and other more alive "modern" arts becoming more popular what do you see happening to your art in the future?

Judo - Judo was already plenty popular (except in America) and alive before the MMA age. I don't see the art changing too much as far as rules (maybe more time allotted for groundwork but there will probably never be a no-gi division or any other drastic rule changes). I do think as more and more people notice the effectiveness of Judo in MMA it will start to attract a few more people of that ilk and you will start to see more Judo offered in MMA gyms and such.

Aikido - We all know that most Aikido is complete crap. But it seems that the alive portion (Shodokan and others) is getting slightly more popular. However, it will pretty much always be a fringe element as most of the students will still be comprised of the old and wussy. Hopefully soon however, with the crosstraining renaissance going on right now, maybe more Aikido people will get into that and start cross competing.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeet Kune Do Concepts--- depends on who is teaching it. Certainly, once Dan Inosanto passes, there shall be Inosanto wannabes who dress like him, talk like him and try to fight like him (much the same as with Bruc3 L33). There will be two camps---those who train in as many arts as possible, trying to train in the "spirit" of JKDC....absorb what is useful (BJJ, MT, stickfigting) and discard the rest. The other camp will be called the Jeet Kune Do Concepts Nucleus---and their job will be to make belt levels, argue over who has the highest rank certificate from Dan Inosanto, they will only practice techniques taught by Dan Inosanto and then say to those who do add to it "that's not JKD! If Dan Inosanto didn't teach it or do it, then you can't call it JKDC!"

Those who get tired of this game will quit using the term Jeet Kune Do Concepts. Rather, they will train by those concepts and train in functional arts with aliveness. Oh wait! That's already happened.

Seriously, it shall always be as it has always been: Two grades of JKDC schools. One is full of clowns who have never really trained, but have been to seminars, bought DVD's and look pretty when they drag tons of flow drills out of their notebooks. And then you'll have the other group of those who train hard, roll, kick box, stickspar and meet every week and work hard on perfecting what they know.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isshinryu: there will always be karate, and lots of traditional karatekas watch UFC, even if they don't compete in MMA. Unfortunately, very little has changed, but one point sparring league (GSKA) has added a continuous sparring division in a few of its tournaments. Hopefully, a few more leagues, associations or circuits will follow suit.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:17pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The future of BJJ:

Gracie Combatives Licensing Program Online

There will always be people who train hard, and wont settle for buying a belt.

But there will always be those who pay.

In the broader Jiu-Jitsu world, the SD side will continue to add more and more Boxing, Wrestling and BJJ until there will be clubs where you just cant tell the difference between Trad JJ and MMA. But there will also continue to be JJ clubs that conduct 2-man kata as SD.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San da I think will keep growing at a steady pace. If Cung Le sorts himself out and starts fighting more then we could see it take off. But I think to much growth to fast can be bad. I think BJJ is starting to feel the brunt now.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:48pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think as the OP said, that newaza time will actually increase once the newer generations start taking control. Grip rules, training with no gi, and leglocks will never change.

Oh how I wish we did leglocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 7:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    I think as the OP said, that newaza time will actually increase once the newer generations start taking control. Grip rules, training with no gi, and leglocks will never change.

Oh how I wish we did leglocks.
    I would love to see this happen, unfortunately from what I've seen we face the very real possibility that Judo will follow a trend that nearly eliminates groundwork (especially thanks to the minimal time on the ground before they stand you up) to the point that it becomes exclusively throw oriented.

I would hate to see this happen and wish everyone was like my sensei who devotes an exactly equal portion to stand up and ne waza but from what I have seen in tourneys this is not the case.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rainy, we gotta get your ass down to a throwdown! What you been up to man?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Powerlifting-As more and more assistance gear is being utilized, less and less people will actually be able to understand what the hell is going on, and powerlifting will continue to become more and more obscure.

Strongman-With the recent death of Jesse Marunde, strongman has lost one of it's greatest competitors, and will be hurting for great competition from America (barring Phil Fister of course).

****, I need to get back into the boxing gym.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing:
    With the absolute abomination of a professional heavyweight division, horrible promoters etc. I see boxing becoming more of the fringe and hopefully the best boxers and boxing trainers going over to MMA. And hopefully amateur boxing competitions being a talent pool for MMA.

Judo:
    I see Judo schools actually going in the direction that Josh's schools and my Judo school have gone in teaching Judo, subgrappling etc, and competing in as many different competitions as possible. Of course there will be holdouts, people saying x isn't in the spirit of judo, but I think most will change with the times.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 10/18/2007 10:13pm at .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast