225090 Bullies, 3686 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the story praetorian. I actually have some good things to say about my Kempo days. I'll get to that when I get back from training.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 10:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    You might be derailing your own thread Kempofist :P. Did a lil research on Kajukenbo and it seems very interesting though, some sources mentioned chinese boxing so I assume they mean san shou/san da or was it an excuse to steal there much cooler forms? :P. But otherwise I might try see if I can get some of that in england.
    The bo stands for Chinese Boxing/Western Boxing (one of the 5 founders, Peter Choo was a welterweight boxing champion), but now many schools also include kickboxing/Muay Thai. At my school the "bo" would be Western Boxing/Muay Thai. I would have to double check with my instructor, but I don't think we do any Kung Fu, but every Kajukenbo school is different. There is also a branch of Kajukenbo called Wun Hop Kuen Do that has a heavy Kung Fu influence.

I do not believe there is a Kaju school in England. I know there is one in Beligum, one in France, and one in Spain, and some in Germany.

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 12:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, the "Bo" stands for Bo Jackson

~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 1:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrmm...ok let's see....Kempo Kempo Kempo....jeez what fun that was.

Well I was going to outline my entire experience, but there's a lot of off-topic fluff in there, but I'll sum that all up by simply stating, I met a lot of great people there. Some very dedicated and passionate instructors, and some hard-working and genuinely fun students to have.

But to stay on topic on the "good" that I learned there, I can say first and foremost, they kept you in great shape there. My instructor had us run very heavy "warmups" (if they could even be called that) with loads of calisthenics, a variety of pushups and abdominal exercises, and whatever creative exercises we could use with the objects at hand -such as chairs, medicine balls, bo staffs etc...

At our school, even before I was instructing as a black belt, there was ample sparring -albeit a lack of proper training for such sparring...there was sparring nonetheless. An emphasis on trying to utilize the moves we learned in such a live situation was pushed, but as it turns out....Kempo doesn't work in a live situation, so more than anything it just led to comedy gold that I only regret not filming for future use :P

This is not in regards to the organization or style as a whole, but since my instructor was an ex-Marine, his focus was always on trying to find new and easier ways to take out and incapacitate an opponent in as brutal way as possible. I learned a plethora of interesting "de-escalation" (see: kill him before it escalates) techniques, that were outside of the main curriculum, such as choke/grab counters, efficient ways to divert ones attention to increase the likelihood of landing a sucker punch, and numerous ways to dupe an opponent into dropping their guard so you could unleash upon their head.

In addition to this, I learned countless RBSD-style drills and modified sparring sessions to use for self-defense minded training. Things like handicapped sparring matches, goal-oriented sparring, "no-mind" drills, chalk knife drills, and many other things I found both entertaining and educational. Although I am not on the best of terms with my old instructor for various reasons, I can't knock him for those specific things he taught me, and I'm grateful for that.

Anyway that's about it for right now.
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 3:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: the shaolin & wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the kenpo from hawaii is the strongest, and has the best styles....

Ed parker, James Mitose

its very effective, the hand speed is legendary

the grafting and checking is very useful

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 3:56pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian_
    Glad to hear that school worked out for you, are you still training in something now?
    Well, I wrestle for my high school.

The whole kenpo thing was a thing I did over the summer, when I had more time.

Wrestling season is coming up soon, though, so I've been hitting the wrestling room almost every day now.

After season, though, I plan on doing some sub. wrestling and BJJ at a club in U of M Ann Arbor. One Bullshido member actually trains there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2007 5:10pm

Style: many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by djchangster
    the kenpo from hawaii is the strongest, and has the best styles....

Ed parker, James Mitose

its very effective, the hand speed is legendary

the grafting and checking is very useful
    If the legends can be believed Ed learned lots of his hard core scrappin' from some rough boys in a bad hood(basically criminal types). Hense, it needed to work, and got tested out alot. To see him and his better studens in action, it sounds about right. Hell it migh be true.All I know is Ed was not above the swift kick to the balls thing as my instructor's teacher often told him, he took lots of shots there from him. In sparring they were always a legit target. (imagine everyone ball hunting instead of head hunting- makes me laugh/cringe). You needed a good can.

I think he was ahead of his time for sure. At least for the grafting and trying to make forms usefull, because they all encorperated self defences all grafted together in my style(more like extened shadow boxing). More than, "do the dance so you can get the chip, " stuff you see in some forms. And, they weren't so damn boring either. Also, not in some odd, renaissance stance you wouldn't re-inact in a Monty Python funny walk skit :lol:

I have taken both the Hawaii style and the old chinese boxing or "old pine tree" styles. The former is an evolution of the other for sure. Both can do some damage. We sparred hard in both- full contact, minimal gear. Kinda what I'm used to now.
    Last edited by praetorian01; 10/20/2007 5:14pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 4:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian_

And why do all the kenpo guys worship Ed Parker? It's frekin weird.
    Uh, we don't. Maybe the AK guys hold him in high esteem, but as Meex said, "He had to leave (Hawaii) because here he was just another idiot." As far as I can tell, in Hawaii there is NO American Kenpo, but plenty of Hawaiian Kempo, and all that I've seen has been good. Similar stuff to the bull in the ring video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6TI_3rdpg - that John Bishop (Kajukenbo) posted on youtube.

My work out with Prof. "Luna" Emperado's Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute is in my log (winter '05 somewhere). It's a great school. As Meex said, several friends went through to black and all are good fighters. Mostly sd drills at a very high skill level - class was mostly bbs - and sd and sparring goes from one on ones to five on ones. It doesn't hurt that people like Frank Ordenez (Kaju founder) stopped by.

I've worked out a few times every year or so for several years with Universal Kempo Karate in Kailua and Kalihi on O'ahu. Another good ma school; this is the one that has partnered shrimping and going from guard to side mount to full mount reversals, going the length of the hardwood floor of the basketball/cafeteria, every workout, as warmups (after jump-rope). Think that they might get comfortable on the ground? After doing this, I get real sick when the local karate class does fucking worthless jumping jacks and crapola for warmups. We did bjj type drills on fucking concrete one night - and the large strong Hawaiian kept telling me how good I was doing. Ha ha. Fucker could have killed me anytime. One night IProf. Guiyang stopped us while doing sd drills and dem'd the drill and smacked the opponent's groin (cups, head gear etc are manditory) hard enough to make a loud thump. He said, "I want to hear it everytime."

But then I even saw Aikido train live with added punches, kicks, counters etc in Hawaii. MAs are on a higher level there.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/21/2007 4:12am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 4:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: the shaolin & wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i heard that ed parker learned from bucksam kong as well, which attributed to animal techniques in his arsenal

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 4:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by djchangster
    i heard that ed parker learned from bucksam kong as well, which attributed to animal techniques in his arsenal
    EP is like Oyama for all the "legend" crap that's been built up over the years.

This isn't a thread about EP. This is: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22604
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/21/2007 4:26am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast