Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 8:46pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those seem tp be posted by the UFC; so if you don't see it their, then it is not up.

...and yes, as sad as it is I have been looking for it all day :(

Still not their as of this post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:20pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between Matt Serra's coaching in the corner and Matt Hughes:

Serra: "Posture up and start using short elbows. Don't put your hands on the ground, put them on his shoulders and use short elbows!"

Hughes: "For God so loved the World that He sent his only Beloved Son, that whosoever should believe in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life! Remember that I'm the Queen! Don't tell them about 'doing this' before the fight!"

I also second the opinion. The guy from Hughes team tried to take it on the ground and keep it there. He got dropped almost as soon as they were standing again, and he almost got dropped the first time when they had a short exchange. He's a guy with good jujitsu but very weak wrestling, (judging by the way his only takedown was a guard jump, which is not something people do in MMA with elbows allowed), and decent standup. But, he was dealing with a family death, and the other kid hits really hard. My only complaint about Serra's fighter is he needs to learn how to strike in the guard.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tortelli, I actually just bought the Season 2 DVD set. I'm not all the way through it yet (and I'm watching it for the first time) but so far, Matt Hughes looks like an idiot. Some of that is editing, but the way he treats his fighters is enough to piss a person off.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett
    I must have been watching a different fight then everyone else. It looked to me like Paul did everything he could to keep the fight on the ground. They were only standing for about 30 seconds before he grabbed Troy and basically dragged him down into his guard. He then made several good sub and sweep attempts and it looked to me like he probably would have pulled one off if Serra hadn't been calling out counters from the corner. When Troy backed out and they stood again he just didn't have another chance for a takedown before the knockout.

I was looking at Hughes' blog (he posts his blog on ufc.com and elsewhere) and, in addition to being praised for being an amazing christian role model, there was a fair amount of comments condemning Serra's coaching.

One of the comments was slagging serra for his obvious comments while cornering. For instance his "Breathe, breathe" comments. Frankly that's one of the best thing Serra does, reminding people to breathe is surprisingly necessary and been a big assest to the guys on Serra's team. There have been several occasions where those comments have gotten the fighters to stop, breathe and assess their position.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having once been "coached" in a rolling session by someone, ala Matt Serra, I can say it was hugely helpful. There was a lot of stuff I was able to pull off physically, but due to my inexperience wouldn't otherwise have noticed or been able to think of. It was like being possessed by the soul of an experienced grappler. Sounds wierd, but the stuff works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 2:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKtheTANK
    btw, anyone have a link to serras blog?

don't see it on UFCs site
    http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/sp..._6_4.html#more

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Having once been "coached" in a rolling session by someone, ala Matt Serra, I can say it was hugely helpful. There was a lot of stuff I was able to pull off physically, but due to my inexperience wouldn't otherwise have noticed or been able to think of. It was like being possessed by the soul of an experienced grappler. Sounds wierd, but the stuff works.
    I've been on the other side of that situation in a BJJ tournament, and I've got to say it sucks like hell when you're opponent's coach keeps yelling out every goddamn thing you're about to do. I actually felt bad for Hughes' fighter in that fight because I didn't think the other guy looked very good at all on the ground, but Serra's coaching just shut him down.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    One of the comments was slagging serra for his obvious comments while cornering. For instance his "Breathe, breathe" comments. Frankly that's one of the best thing Serra does, reminding people to breathe is surprisingly necessary and been a big assest to the guys on Serra's team. There have been several occasions where those comments have gotten the fighters to stop, breathe and assess their position.
    The first time I cornered somebody in a fight I cringed watching the video afterwards, because practically all you can hear is me bellowing "RELAX AND BREATHE" over and over like a retarded mantra.

Marc Laimon gets a lot of flack just like Serra for loud coaching, but everyone I've talked to who's actually been the recipient of either says it helps a lot.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:58pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best coaching occurs when both guys speak a foreign language. They can shout out instructions all day on how to escape moves and the opponent doesn't know, so there's no counter-attack waiting. Seen it with the Brazilians a bunch of times when they get someone into their corner. I've only cornered in boxing, but it's tough to get instructions. You got a small amount of time, so you really can't get much more than one key point across, so it ends up being, "you're doing fine, watch the right hand, he sets it up with the jab, breath and move around" stuff someone should know anyway.

God help the poor Thais fighting. When they go to the corner, a hundred people start shouting instructions and giving them advice. It's hard to remember more than little stuff anyway.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 6:15pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hughs isn't even actively corning his guys; from his blog:
    "I stopped yelling at my guys when I’m cornering them and I sat behind Robbie, and whenever I told Robbie to say something, he said it. So before my guys went out there, they knew this and they were concentrating on Robbie’s voice and not mine."

He needs to come down off his pedestal and start making sure his guys here what he is saying. Stop being God..huh..the Queen.. huh Emo...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast