Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be extremelly surprised if the Gracies turn this into a series of drills followed by a certification with no sparring at all. Let's knock on wood.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, and a bit off the tangent, but this rubs me wrong, too:

Although thousands of instructors claim to teach pure Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, over 95% of them actually teach the sportive based Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and simply use the Gracie name to add marketing value.

FWIW, BJJ instructors are quite vocal in distancing themselves from anything "Gracie". The claim above is plain bullcrap.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 4:54pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Also, and a bit off the tangent, but this rubs me wrong, too:

Although thousands of instructors claim to teach pure Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, over 95% of them actually teach the sportive based Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and simply use the Gracie name to add marketing value.

FWIW, BJJ instructors are quite vocal in distancing themselves from anything "Gracie". The claim above is plain bullcrap.
    I have to agree. I once wore an old GJJ shirt to ATT to pick something up, it was nearly ripped off of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys do realize that
    1- 80 hours of small group instruction is probably more than what most people will get in a year (if you weight for group size).

2- Many people get their bluebelts in about a year

3- Bluebelts (speaking as one) aren't actually that good, you're just comparing them to ****.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:07pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, we need a new tag for people who are 2-week blue belts. Wow, I could be a badass by Halloween!
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Official blue belt stuff aside, it's pretty dishonest for them to endorse people that have trained for only two weeks as good trainers. It's hard enough to learn something as deep as that in two weeks, much less teach it to someone else.

I could be wrong about this, but if someone trained jiu-jitsu for 80 hours over the course of 20 weeks, as opposed to 80 hours over two weeks, I think their muscle memory would retain the techniques better. Frankly, sometimes when I'm shown three new techniques during the course of a two-hour judo session, I usually retain only one well enough to try to apply it a week later. I know that I kinda suck, but I doubt that the people taking the course would be all that much better.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While overload may be a factor, your muscle memory comment is just silly.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:44pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignignokt
    Official blue belt stuff aside, it's pretty dishonest for them to endorse people that have trained for only two weeks as good trainers. It's hard enough to learn something as deep as that in two weeks, much less teach it to someone else.
    In their defence, they claim they are only allowing people who are already instructors to take this program.

If you are a club owner there is some assumption that you have some sort of teaching skill.

However well, or not well, that skill might be developed.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 6:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    3- Bluebelts (speaking as one) aren't actually that good, you're just comparing them to ****.
    Ditto. Also, Brazilians tend to care way less about handing out blue belts than Americans do.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much does it cost, again?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast