Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 5:04am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Because the formula doesn't include rolling or competition, and there is no one who knows what they're doing to supervise it.

I train at a Academy where they teach the Gracie combatives to beginners, sure you don’t roll or do competition but that’s only for maybe the first three to four months, once you have gone through the combatives a few times you join the advanced guys and then it's business as usual. Sure I would have liked to roll from day one but at least by the time you get to roll you know a few things.

Now if my instructor was someone who got a blue belt over the net I would not feel the same way, but my instructors are brown belts and have studied BJJ for about 10 years.

So my point is Gracie combatives from a legit instructor, in my opinion is not a bad way to learn BJJ in the beginning, but learning from a guy who got his blue online, I don’t think so.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
    I train at a Academy where they teach the Gracie combatives to beginners, sure you don’t roll or do competition but that’s only for maybe the first three to four months, once you have gone through the combatives a few times you join the advanced guys and then it's business as usual.
    This is perfectly fine in my book. I suppose you could argue about how much time to spend doing just drills before you get to rolling, but that's a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that this thread started with the following quote:
    Attention All Martial Arts Instructors

Become an official Gracie Family Representative

Get Certified to Teach in 2 Weeks

No Previous Grappling Experience

Turn your school into a (image of Gracie Combatives Certified Training Center)
    This is total bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 6:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is perfectly fine in my book. I suppose you could argue about how much time to spend doing just drills before you get to rolling, but that's a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that this thread started with the following quote:
    This is total bullshit.
    Agreed

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 7:01am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that this thread started with the following quote
    Although that is an old version of the program: it is no longer two weeks. Instead, they now require a 90/100 or greater score on the blue belt test, followed by that 52 lesson online course, five videos and finally a two-day live evaluation.

On balance, that should work out rather longer (I would assume several months of training, to first get the blue belt then to go through the instructor course). On the other hand, this new version has even less physical interaction with qualified instructors than the previous two week incarnation.

I'm assuming Like_A_Boss trains with Gary 'sapateiro' King, who is teaching Gracie Combatives the right way (i.e., also has his team enter competitions, spar etc), judging by King's posts elsewhere. Although I'm sure King learned how to teach through hands-on practice, not online learning followed by a two-day evaluation. I could be wrong, though: would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the new Instructor Certification Program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 7:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    I'm assuming Like_A_Boss trains with Gary 'sapateiro' King, who is teaching Gracie Combatives the right way (i.e., also has his team enter competitions, spar etc), judging by King's posts elsewhere. Although I'm sure King learned how to teach through hands-on practice, not online learning followed by a two-day evaluation. I could be wrong, though: would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the new Instructor Certification Program.
    You are correct sir, though I have been bunking lately. Need to get my ass back on the mats.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever the exact technical requirements are, on the ground the only Gracie Combatives place near me is a hapkido school that has zero interaction with any of the local BJJ schools.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 9:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recently we had a seminar with Ryron at our academy. He is a really good instructor and I can tell you it was a great learning experience watching him teach. I have been teaching MA for, sigh, 20 years and I learned and relearned some great things.

Without a shadow of a doubt these guys are great salesman also and I can tell you that the Gracie name carries a lot of weight. So much so that we are considering this program for our academy.

I have always been a fan of the Gracies. Royce is the reason I started Judo. This program has much to offer the experienced instructor but as previously stated I don't think they should give a certification to just anyone who pays the fee.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 10:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Recently we had a seminar with Ryron at our academy. He is a really good instructor and I can tell you it was a great learning experience watching him teach. I have been teaching MA for, sigh, 20 years and I learned and relearned some great things.

Without a shadow of a doubt these guys are great salesman also and I can tell you that the Gracie name carries a lot of weight. So much so that we are considering this program for our academy.

I have always been a fan of the Gracies. Royce is the reason I started Judo. This program has much to offer the experienced instructor but as previously stated I don't think they should give a certification to just anyone who pays the fee.
    Rener is coming down to our academy in April, looking forward to it.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 10:18am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh
    This program has much to offer the experienced instructor
    That's a good point: if you already have the teaching skills, so you have a solid understanding of how to relay information successfully to a large group of people, then a well structured Instructor Certification Program could be of real benefit in refining and adding to those skills.

IIRC, there was previously a requirement that you had to already be a martial arts instructor before enrolling, which makes a lot of sense from that perspective. Now, anyone can do it, meaning that they potentially have to learn all those complex and challenging teaching skills from scratch.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    The Gracie Combatives program does contain stuff that most sport BJJ schools don't, how to defend punches.
    Yes, and I believe that is a good thing. My instructor will have classes dedicated to self defense such as defenses against punches, weapons, etc. He also will use normal, BJJ/Judo movements and techniques and show you how they are applicable to self defense. It's not down like it's some sort of completely separate martial art.

The thing is, it isn't being advertised as a "supplement" to what you are already doing but as what you "should" be doing instead. I spoke to a guy who is doing the combatives program even though there is a BJJ school 20 minutes away from this person. Eventually, you are going to see guys who are only 10 minutes, or 5 minutes away from quality BJJ training, deciding that they would rather do Gracie Combatives out of the comfort of their home.

I don't care how good the instruction is, nothing beats having that instructor/student interaction as well as having a diverse group of training partners to provide different experiences.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast