Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 5:32am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    So it's on tv now. Gracie combatives during Spike's mma programming. The official ad copy is something like "you can't win in mma without mastering gracie jiujitsu."

Which is far afield from the official line of the gracie combatives program decrying competition and sport jiujitsu.

I am guessing this is stemming from Ralek winning against Sakuraba.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 5:47am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 9:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: seido kai karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attended a Royce Gracie seminar this morning and asked him what he thought about Gracie Combatives and he basically said that the teaching was superb but he didn't like the video promotion part. He said someting along the lines of, "How can you promote someone when you can't feel their technique?" Before this was brought up he had mentioned several times that Jiu Jitsu was NOT a sport, and used the examples of what has happened to Karate and TKD, people manipulating the rules. When asked his thoughts on Jiu Jitsu in the Olympics he said it would be good for popularizing JJ but would ruin it as a martial art. He said the only reason he and his dad fought was to promote JJ but it wasn't intended to be a sport.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 7:32am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royce is spot on.

Obviously Rener missed the whole point of his grandfather wearing a blue belt for the last few years of his life.

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 8:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Premier Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gracie Combatives

As I am currently enrolled in this program here is my two cents....

The Gracie Combatives is a "street ready" program not a sport bjj curriculumn. That is the main difference. the program is designed to prepare an individual to defend themselves against a bigger opponent on the street not in a bjj match. if we remember this is where gracie jj came from... it was designed by the grand master as a way for a smaller person to defeat a larger person.....

the blue belt is in gracie combatives not bjj and allows an individual to teach up to that level... there is also a master program (purple and up)

educate yourselves...

the techniques are available on gracieuniversity.com....

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Premier Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    finally someone gets it... this is the roots of gjj!!

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 8:40am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's good to have someone currently in the program sharing their views on the thread. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgwsmith View Post
    educate yourselves...
    You might want to read the extensive thread on Gracie Combatives (here), as that alleged distinction between 'sport' and 'self defence' BJJ has been discussed at considerable length.

There's also the views of several high level BJJers to consider. For example, Renzo Gracie had this to say:

[...] when people call me, saying "this is the real jiu jitsu," the next thing they are going to say is "I cannot use it, because I could kill you!" [laughs] You know, that's what I heard my whole life, from those fake martial artists who claim they were better than everybody else. So believe it my friend, I live my whole life watching this and seeing this. We were always against that, and now suddenly one branch of my family is turning into that! It's claiming that, but doesn't go on the proving ground to prove it, does not step into the place where he should actually be representing jiu jitsu, to do it. [...]

The 'pure jiu jitsu', it's doing nothing but selling products on the internet. Again, trying to shove crap in American peoples' mouths. This is just claiming: go and prove it with acts, my friend! The jiu jitsu was good when nobody else knew any jiu jitsu. Now, everybody knows, so now, only those who are really good shine. If you realise Gracie Barra produce more champions than anybody else, go to the world championship and try to fight in there.
    When I asked Romulo Barral about the supposed 'sport'/'self defence' divide, he responded with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Romulo Barral
    I think itís just jiu jitsu, you know, because if you want to do self defence, you can go do krav maga. So jiu jitsu is like a complete art, you learn how to punch. People think in jiu jitsu, it doesnít have a punch, doesnít have a kick, but jiu jitsu is a complete martial art. You learn how to punch, you learn how to kick, you learn how to have good distance, if you need self defence. Itís a martial art that involves everything. I donít think they have jiu jitsu for self defence, you know, Gracie Academy, I think it is all the same. Everybody learns the same, at the end of the day, everybody is going to learn the same thing.
    My own thoughts on it here.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgwsmith View Post
    The Gracie Combatives is a "street ready" program not a sport bjj curriculumn. That is the main difference. the program is designed to prepare an individual to defend themselves against a bigger opponent on the street not in a bjj match. if we remember this is where gracie jj came from... it was designed by the grand master as a way for a smaller person to defeat a larger person.....
    Yes, as has been stated plenty of times here before, those are the claims they make.

In your opinion does the program deliver on these claims? What reasoning do you use to reach your conclusion?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 2:22am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari View Post
    Anyone have a list of the 34 techniques?
    I have s student that bought the DVD's and I checked it out. The techniques are called lessons. Some lessons have 4 moves to learn and some have only two.....so in reality there is more than 34 techniques. I think it would take the average person 3 months to learn everything on the dvd's.

I liked the way they broke down each technique...made is simpler to understand......I wish the dvd's were out when I was a white belt.

I am not connected to the Gracie Academy in any way and I am currently a 1st degree black belt in BJJ. I don't agree with getting the blue belt with out having to spar on a regular basis but who am I to say anything.
    Last edited by Team Python; 11/04/2010 2:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 2:33am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Yes, as has been stated plenty of times here before, those are the claims they make.

In your opinion does the program deliver on these claims? What reasoning do you use to reach your conclusion?
    There is some truth to what they say about BJJ. I have trained with Red & Black belts and Red Belts that are not Gracies who say that BJJ is being watered down. According to them a lot of schools are concentrating on just learning sport Jiu-jitsu and leaving out Vale-Tudo and self defense training out of their teaching. Being well rounded is the key and this is the way I learned BJJ from day one when I started in 1995.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast