Sponsored Links Spacer Image

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 12:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Power clean/clean and jerk/push-press/snatch/deadlift - who does them?

Just wondering who here does these kinds of weightlifting exercises at the gym? I've noticed that a lot of guys who are "serious" about working out don't do the olympic/power exercises with the exception of the squat and deadlift. I've found that regardless of goal (training for competition or not) these lifts help tremendously in building functional strength and hypertrophy. I haven't really been doing these since college, but I've started adding them back into my routine (and adding them to some applicable clients routines) with good results so far. I fucking love power cleans, IMO if you only have one exercise you could do, that should be it. Anybody else?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:33am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no you didnt just say functional strength

I do all the movements you have mentioned but dont do olympics lifts that much. I prefer to do movements with accomodated resistance on my power days instead of olympics lifts. I dont think they are devil juice like some which will automatically destroy your shoulders but just prefer other means of power development

Also as an additional note olympic lifts arnt known for the hypertrophy qualities. Obviously this depends on the rep range but traditionally they are more a power development movement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use powercleans as a warm up/gpp exercise occasionally, ill deadlift and push press looking at that list. While qualified to teach olympic lifts i hardly use them with clients for a number of reasons. Technical mastery takes too long to achieve a loading that will reap a benefit, olympic lifting is a sport in its self. So in terms of time vs productivty deadlifts/squats bench press can be mastered far quicker. now most guys riding the olympic lifts say "well what about triple extension?" I like to use unilateral lifts for this, lunges, split squats, sled drags etc. That said if i have enough time ill teach powercleans as a dynamic exercise or if i have enough time with athlete. Where as id take deadlift if i could only have one exercise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 4:44am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to do single arm variations of the snatch, clean and jerk and push press with dumbells. I prefer working unilateral strength to be honest as you have to engage the core a lot more.

IMO they're also easier to get better/good technique for someone who doesn't have a good coach to show them how to perform the movements correctly.

I do deads with a barbell though

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:46am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do all of these. But the classic olympic lifts less frequently (1 out of every 3 - 4 workouts will have some sets). Predominantly, I do deads and a hang clean/push-press combo every other workout. Recently I've started alternating cleans and snatches, but my form is less than stupendous so the weight is meh but I'm working on it.

Yes, of course, on squats although that wasn't in your list.

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 1:13pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was lifting regularly, I was a huge fan of power cleans and even hang cleans. For explosive power, there are few other exercises that are as good. Since they are so dynamic, good warmups are vital. I got little injuries on several occasions from doing them while too cold. Strained neck, back, and elbows tended to be the most common. So warm up well before jumping into them, or any lift for that matter.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't done any power cleans/hang cleans in a while since I've found them to be a bit hard (for me) to combine with deadlifts and squats (now more than ever that I got back into BJJ.) What I've done lately is high pulls and snatches with resistance bands as warm ups (or for HIIT). Completely different animals inspired by the same movements :) Either that or SDLs/high pulls.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No training in olympic lifts and a history of shoulder injuries keeps me from teaching myself, but I love the deadlift and work the push press on occasion.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No jokes about 'doing' a 'snatch'? where's ronin when you need him.

I do (did anyway) deads and power cleans. "starting strength" is a good resource to teach yourself the movements, but you'll need a partner or a camera to make sure your form is right.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:17pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regularly... all those lifts are great and help you get that explosive power. That's what I love about power cleans, if I hit them hard they can make me breath harder than being on a treadmill.

I also find it funny that you rarely, if ever, see the non-MA/sport gym rats doing these kinds of exercises. Probably the reason they have arms the size of british cars but can't lean over too far because they'll break their twiggy legs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast