...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me research statistics relating to accuracy in firefights

So on and off and little by little I'm working on my personal project "80s Run", where I'd use the framework of the Shadowrun 3rd edition dice system to make a game for role playing in the 80s. Since there wouldn't necessarily be magic I figure that firearms would be more important and I can go about trying to make firearms as realistic as possible for the purposes of a tabletop RPG or tabletop strategy game.

I figure that a good point to start would be police firearms accuracy statistics. This would give me at least a vague idea of how often people with basic levels of training should be able to hit their targets in a real combat situation. By analzying statistics I could come with a certain range of ballpark probabilities that should be hit by the rules under what would be considered average conditions with average participants.

I've been finding some articles about how the NYPD has overall crap accuracy but no systematic tables of various police departments over the years. Does anyone know where such tables might be archived?

Here's a Post article that said in 2005 the NYPD only hit 8% of the time when engaged in a firefight: http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232007...d_robinson.htm
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 7:46am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don’t know where you would find this stuff. (I know, I am a huge friggin help!)
    I have heard through the grapevine however that in real combat situations (military combat situations that is, I work for the DoD) the average hit rate is only 20%. I don’t know if this is really true or not.

Some places I would look:
    Google
    NRA
    US Center for Disease Control
    FBI

I will ask around for you though and see if I can point you in a better direction.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: IDPA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gun stats

There's a lot of good stuff on this site: http://www.guncite.com/ I read an FBI report on the subject a short while back and I think I got it from this site. You'll have to drill down through some links in the related stories to find it though. I don't have time to datamine it right now but I'll browse around for a direct link later.

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:51pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    So on and off and little by little I'm working on my personal project "80s Run", where I'd use the framework of the Shadowrun 3rd edition dice system to make a game for role playing in the 80s. Since there wouldn't necessarily be magic I figure that firearms would be more important and I can go about trying to make firearms as realistic as possible for the purposes of a tabletop RPG or tabletop strategy game.

I figure that a good point to start would be police firearms accuracy statistics. This would give me at least a vague idea of how often people with basic levels of training should be able to hit their targets in a real combat situation. By analzying statistics I could come with a certain range of ballpark probabilities that should be hit by the rules under what would be considered average conditions with average participants.

I've been finding some articles about how the NYPD has overall crap accuracy but no systematic tables of various police departments over the years. Does anyone know where such tables might be archived?

Here's a Post article that said in 2005 the NYPD only hit 8% of the time when engaged in a firefight: http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232007...d_robinson.htm
    How bout you put all this time and effort into getting laid?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Axelton - right now would not be an appropriate time to attempt to get laid. Long story short very high prevalence of STIs in this area.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three things:

!) you are a nerd
    2) realistic firearm rules =/= playable RPG
    3) read "On Killing"
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."