Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Littleton, CO: Premier Martial Arts - avoid at all cost (unless you enjoy it there??)

Once I saw this forum, I felt compelled to post a thread about "Premier Martial Arts." About a year ago, I was deciding whether or not I wanted to get back into martial arts. I happened to see a Craig's List add for martial arts instructors (with no prior experience). I had taken several years of taekwondo and other martial arts when I was younger and thought, "why not?"
    I came to the interview and found that it was sort of the Mcdonald's of martial arts academies. They were searching for eager "students" that wanted to recieve a black belt in five months and then start teaching for this chain of schools. The first thing the instructor asked me was what I was doing at the time. I told him that I was going to college. His response was, and I quote, "If I were you I would drop out. Why throw away four years when you could start earning money in 6 months." I was a bit skeptical but decided I'd give it a try. For the next three weeks, we would recieve an hour of private martial arts lessons, followed by a two hour money making seminar on how to exploit as many customers as possible. Personally, I wanted to teach martial arts because I felt I could help kids and grown ups in their lives. I told them that I thought it would be great to open up a school near some lower income neighborhoods. The instructor laughed and said that you can't make as much money off of those guys. Near the second week. I witnessed an unsatisfied customer walk in, furious because he wasn't satisfied with the martial arts training his son was recieving. In a addition, due to the customers work schedule conflict, he was no longer able to take his son to classes. He asked if it was possible to terminate the contract, in which case the instructor started arguing with the guy, told him that he signed a contract, and threatened to call the police if he wouldn't leave the school.
    At this point I quit because I felt that just being a part of such a corrupt group of bastards was detrimental to my spiritual well-being. I can truelly say that I've never seen a greedier, more power hungry group of assholes in my life. What's more offensive is that they were bastardizing the name of martial arts, an activity which I hold very dear.
    Luckily, I eventually returned to a pretty good tae kwon do school. I've almost got my black belt at this point. Also, I started doing Aikido and plan to start BJJ in the near future.
    So to anyone considering sending your kids to Premier Martial Arts. I would say avoid that chain at all costs. They're mostly a bunch of brain washed liers with no desire what so ever to help you or anyone for that matter. In the mean time, I wish everyone luck in their martial arts path.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 6:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

poser

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 6:06pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember also that PMA is a franchise, and that each school is run differently.

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 6:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok... Good point. I've looked into it and found out that some of the schools are ok. The one I went to was in Littleton, CO. So maybe not the best example of their schools. In the end, if someone enjoys learning there, that's cool with me. I just felt like I had to at least put in my oppinion after my experience with those guys.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 7:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zathurious
    Once I saw this forum, I felt compelled to post a thread about "Premier Martial Arts." About a year ago, I was deciding whether or not I wanted to get back into martial arts. I happened to see a Craig's List add for martial arts instructors (with no prior experience). I had taken several years of taekwondo and other martial arts when I was younger and thought, "why not?"
    I came to the interview and found that it was sort of the Mcdonald's of martial arts academies. They were searching for eager "students" that wanted to recieve a black belt in five months and then start teaching for this chain of schools. The first thing the instructor asked me was what I was doing at the time. I told him that I was going to college. His response was, and I quote, "If I were you I would drop out. Why throw away four years when you could start earning money in 6 months." I was a bit skeptical but decided I'd give it a try. For the next three weeks, we would recieve an hour of private martial arts lessons, followed by a two hour money making seminar on how to exploit as many customers as possible. Personally, I wanted to teach martial arts because I felt I could help kids and grown ups in their lives. I told them that I thought it would be great to open up a school near some lower income neighborhoods. The instructor laughed and said that you can't make as much money off of those guys. Near the second week. I witnessed an unsatisfied customer walk in, furious because he wasn't satisfied with the martial arts training his son was recieving. In a addition, due to the customers work schedule conflict, he was no longer able to take his son to classes. He asked if it was possible to terminate the contract, in which case the instructor started arguing with the guy, told him that he signed a contract, and threatened to call the police if he wouldn't leave the school.
    At this point I quit because I felt that just being a part of such a corrupt group of bastards was detrimental to my spiritual well-being. I can truelly say that I've never seen a greedier, more power hungry group of assholes in my life. What's more offensive is that they were bastardizing the name of martial arts, an activity which I hold very dear.
    Luckily, I eventually returned to a pretty good tae kwon do school. I've almost got my black belt at this point. Also, I started doing Aikido and plan to start BJJ in the near future.
    So to anyone considering sending your kids to Premier Martial Arts. I would say avoid that chain at all costs. They're mostly a bunch of brain washed liers with no desire what so ever to help you or anyone for that matter. In the mean time, I wish everyone luck in their martial arts path.
    And use the enter key on your fucking keyboard once in a friggin' while.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler