Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyokushin in or around Phoenix, Az. ?

I'm moving there by the end of the year, and I'm interesting in starting a Kyokushin class. I took Shotokan for a little while in New Orleans before Katrina, and was working with a pretty solid/respectable Sensei by the name of Mikami, in assoc. with the ASKF.

However, I want to move to Kyokushin. I want to spar. I want full contact.

That being said, are there any good Kyokushin dojo in or around Phoenix Az. ?

Please help me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please help me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try the guys at www.kyokushin4life.com they helped me find a dojo not ten minutes from my front door that I never knew of (and even if I can't afford the time or cash to go there, it's nice to keep in mind).

They're a nice bunch, but you'd better come back here and tell us how it goes or we'll send Plasma and his Ninja Horde after you.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turns out there are two near me. Can any karateka speak for them? www.hiokidojo.com and http://american-kyokushin.com . Mcdojos? Authenticity? American Kyokushin is listed in the "Knockdown Dojos" under K4L's directory, but...

... Well, there's pictures of the sensei with a mean handlebar mustache and american flag print dogi... it reminds me of "Rex Kwon Do" from Napoleon Dynamite.

You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Fugghetaboutit....!

Anyway, any karateka can comment on this guys? Apparently "American Kyokushin Karate Organization" (AKKO) is a big deal, but I can find like... nothing on youtube of them... nothing about the school period...

Help! Thanks in advance.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to find out if it's legit or not is to visit it, get a lay of the land. You're not going to find out if a place is trash or not by their website (Well... so long at their name doesn't start with a Coda and end with a Scott).

Remember, tell us how it goes.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I was just hoping for testimonials to ease the process. K4L has two very distinct opinions:

1.) Don Buck sucks. Thus, his son sucks. Thus AKKO sucks.
    2.) Hioki teaches "traditional japanese karate". I can't wiki him or find any info, because I don't even know his first name. All I see is "Sensei Hioki". He also has a Shotokan background, so that makes me nervous.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kyokushinkaikan.org/en/ab...anization.html
    i hope this helps you out, i think here you will find the us organization and its clubs. good luck

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Kyokushin dojo in the US is hard to find. As Toku's link demonstrates, unless you live in CA, NY and a few other states, pickings will be slim. If you're intent on learning knock-down karate, widening your search to include Oyama World Karate, Enshin and Ashihara might give you more hits.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just did a quick search in google for Kyokushin Arizona. It seems that the IKO Matsushima (IKO3) school <http://kyokushinaz.com/> is the real deal. They seemed to sanctioned by Japan and teaching real kyokushin. The Hioki Dojo would be my next recommendation.

I will NOT recommend AKKO ( American Kyokushin Karate Organization ) because the current director of the AKKO is a BULLSHIDO dude. I was a student of his father ( the founder of AKKO ). As he passed away, he gave the organization to his son Fred ( current director of AKKO ) who knew very little kyokushin. All the Don Buck's good kyokushin fighters had left the organization. Donít believe me, ask AKKO. What I hear now is that he teaches a form of a semi-contact karate ( probably Kempo ) with some Kyokushin techniques and calls it Kyokushin. I am sure that the great Don Buck is not happy! God bless him!

A true Kyokushin practitioner would never be so out of shape as shown on Fred Buck's AKKO website. This is sad that he even has to take diet products now! I wish him the best. Here is the link:
    < http://www.akko.us/index.php?option=...=170&Itemid=84 >

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbornson
    I'm moving there by the end of the year, and I'm interesting in starting a Kyokushin class. I took Shotokan for a little while in New Orleans before Katrina, and was working with a pretty solid/respectable Sensei by the name of Mikami, in assoc. with the ASKF.

However, I want to move to Kyokushin. I want to spar. I want full contact.

That being said, are there any good Kyokushin dojo in or around Phoenix Az. ?

Please help me.
    www.kyokushinaz.com we are happy to train with You, Osu! Erno

Page 1 of 2 12 Last