--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

starting the kids, and maybe myself

hello all
    I found this site while doing some research on Steven Oliver's Mile High clubs. they came to the kids school this past week and offered a one month after school program for a very low cost, of which 100% went to the school. I have been wanting to get them into a form of the arts but was not sure how to get started. I was warned that the cost was going to be high which for me is a bit of an issues as my wife is a stay at home mom of 3 kids. my boys are 5 and 6 BTW.

so, we started going to their gym this week as well as it was part of the free month, and the boys really like it. in fact I really liked it and would also like to get a late start into it (I am sure this older dog can learn a new trick), and it is something I can to to bond more with my boys.

I can pay some $$, but from what i read, I am looking at a start of $600 a month for us to go to Oliver's school, and that is just too much for me to justify right now.

as I am not sure where to look, can anyone help point me in the direction to find other schools in the Littleton/ Denver area that are a bit less?
    I know that is a open question as i did not say what type of school, but I really am not sure, I am open to a lot of the options really.

I know I can look in the book for names, but I thought I would look to people that know this and can give me some educated options, not fancy ads on line.

thanks in advance for any help/advice/direction you all can offer me.

KungFuBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! co_alpine posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    600 dollars a month, even for 3 people, is mind-bogglingly high. Looking around, I found this thread on bullshido- http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50220 . Unfortunately, the first school you found is trying to rort you, but you will be able to find something for much cheaper. For your standard 2 lesson a week karate, I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $50-75 a month in Australia for an adult, and I wouldn't think it'd be much different near you.
    Last edited by stealth_monkey; 10/26/2007 12:34am at .

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by co_alpine
    hello all
    I found this site while doing some research on Steven Oliver's Mile High clubs. they came to the kids school this past week and offered a one month after school program for a very low cost, of which 100% went to the school. I have been wanting to get them into a form of the arts but was not sure how to get started. I was warned that the cost was going to be high which for me is a bit of an issues as my wife is a stay at home mom of 3 kids. my boys are 5 and 6 BTW.

so, we started going to their gym this week as well as it was part of the free month, and the boys really like it. in fact I really liked it and would also like to get a late start into it (I am sure this older dog can learn a new trick), and it is something I can to to bond more with my boys.

I can pay some $$, but from what i read, I am looking at a start of $600 a month for us to go to Oliver's school, and that is just too much for me to justify right now.

as I am not sure where to look, can anyone help point me in the direction to find other schools in the Littleton/ Denver area that are a bit less?
    I know that is a open question as i did not say what type of school, but I really am not sure, I am open to a lot of the options really.

I know I can look in the book for names, but I thought I would look to people that know this and can give me some educated options, not fancy ads on line.

thanks in advance for any help/advice/direction you all can offer me.
    Run FAR, FARFARFAR away.

WAAAY too expensive for three people. Even your high and mighty McDojangs down here run about 375 for three people (independant, that is to say without family plans which are cheaper).

Stay away from most Karate, TKD, and TSD schools. Look for Judo or BJJ, as they're generally more effective, and Judo is generally dirt cheap. Find somewhere that competes in OPEN tournaments. NOT closed tournaments. Closed tournaments just lead to a circle jerk of the style.

Aikido may look cool and everything, but you have to be very wary of where you train it. Make sure if you take Aikido that it is Tomiki Aikido. For karate, look into Kyokushin Karate. It's better training, and they won't feed you bullshit about your kids being able to take on the school bully.

Look for sparring/rolling. If the school wears a bunch of gear in the younger classes, that's fine, but if the adult classes have a lot of gear on (Head, chest, shins, feet, gloves, elbows is a lot. Cup, mouthpiece and headgear with light gloves and shinguards is better). Make sure that they have seperate classes for adults and children. There's nothing wrong with training with your boys, just know that either it won't be a workout for you, or it'll just be technique based classes.

Make sure there's an emphasis on conditioning in striking schools.

This is a good checklist to get someone started on looking for a decent school. Please, send the websites to noobietown, and give us a chance to look at the schools, some senior members from the area might be able to help you out as well.

Finally, MMA. Anything that does MMA and competes is generally alright. I can't stress how important competition is for a school.

Remember: You wouldn't sign your kids up to swimming lessons if they didn't get in the water, and you wouldn't sign your kids up to fight if they didn't fight.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo I think is key for kids. it is usually inexpensive, there is alot of reistance training and there are no fancy punches or kicks that will get your kids in trouble. Most schools retain some formality like your average Karate,TKD,etc schools but the instructors can usually walk the walk and not only talk the talk.

I don't have any kids, but I personally wouldn't teach my kids to punch unless I knew they were old enough to really hit someone and know when it was appropriate, but that's just me. Judo allows you to control your opponent. If you need to, you can throw them and run away to get help (tell an adult,teacher,etc.)

http://www.judoinfo.com is probably the best place to start.

Cyril,
    Alot of parents don't want their kids fighting. I know what you mean by your last statement, but it could be miscontrued. The idea is totally correct though. If you children don't actually work technique with resisting partners, there isn't much hope in the techniques working in a self-defense situation.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 10/26/2007 9:53am at .