Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 6:15pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA in the U.S. of A.

Just a bunch of random, opinionated blibbets about MMA...

1. I know the UFC/PRIDE merger is ancient history by now. I know PRIDE doesn't have a chance of coming back (didn't they fire EVERYBODY?), but I'm tired of the general "UFC is MMA" mindset in America. (I don't like Zuffa)

2. I've heard the statements, "PRIDE has the most knowledgable fans in the world," and "The UFC has the most knowledgable fans in the world," during both UFC and PRIDE competitions, and IMO (and a lot of yours) PRIDE fans and supporters generally know what they're talking about (along with the more "obscure" leagues such as WEC or EliteXC).

While watching PRIDE events never once did I see a match where all through it fans screamed constantly- not actually cheering for anything in particular, but just for the fact that two muscle-bound beastmen were wailing on eachother in a cage.:eatbaby:

3. If MMA is actually the fastest growing sport in America why don't more people know what it actually is? Throughout news articles and forum posts it is referred to as "a bloodsport." If they want "bloodsport" they should watch the Jean Claude Van Damme movie!(Thanks a lot to Human Weapon. You'd think Chambers would at least try not to make his comments about MMA come out as total bullcrap)

4. I have to mention the American competitors. There are some very (very) stupid people in MMA.

As a fellow Memphian I'm kind of ashamed to acknowledge that Quinton Jackson was born a few miles away from me. And if you've seen the Ultimate Fighter then you know those guys probably didn't get honors in high school.
    There are a few exceptions, but most of them come from other countries. (Was it Gomi who dropped out of school?)

5. I hope "Tuesday Night Knockouts" on Spike don't become another "Monday Night Football" or something of the sort

A few things here have most likely already been said. Anyone got any other complaints?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:04pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PasleyPMT
    5. I hope "Tuesday Night Knockouts" on Spike don't become another "Monday Night Football" or something of the sort

A few things here have most likely already been said. Anyone got any other complaints?
    I don't really agree with number 5. As far as I'm concerned, any kind of regulation and publicity is good for ALL of the martial arts. I think it'd be awesome to have radio shows discussing the upcoming "Tuesday Night Knockout" and their predictions, along with experts in the field that know about the statistics. More effective arts would be promoted, and training would get more defined.

What's so terrible about that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril

What's so terrible about that?
    You're definitely right. I was sort of referring to the people watching, though.

But then again, the people watching Monday Night Football (no matter how greasy, slobbish, or unfit to comment some of them might be) usually know more about the football they watch than I know about the MMA world.

I didn't really have a good example.

I guess I hope MMA doesn't become a commodity that people don't take seriously as a sport (not that people don't take football seriously)

Really bad example.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:36pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I hope MMA doesn't become a commodity that people don't take seriously as a sport (not that people don't take football seriously)
    If I understand what you are talking about, then perhaps you don't want the sport to go the way of TKD. Where it becomes so over commercialized that McDojoism becomes rampant and the fighting becomes so diluted that the "real" MMA'ers are no longer taken seriously. That about it?
    Last edited by SgtDutch; 10/11/2007 8:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDutch
    If I understand what you are talking about, then perhaps you don't want the sport to go the way of TKD. Where it becomes so over commercialized that McDojoism becomes rampant and the fighting becomes so diluted that the "real" MMA'ers are no longer taken seriously. That about it?
    That's about it.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well **** that. I hope the sport does blow up because then the LARPing assholes out their (specifically the chunners, the aikidoka's, the JJJ fuckers [some, not all] the **** talking kick boxers/boxers) will get wiped out and schools will teach actual self defence and MA and actually 'compete' for students. Why is that LARP schools charge AS MUCH as real MMA/BJJ/MT/ Sambo, etc... school's? Or if not that then why do real MA schools charge so much fucking more?
    The Sambo school that I used to go to charged $30 per lesson. You try being a high school or college student wanting to train more than twice a week and see how fucking annoying it is to cover everything. YET, all the fucking Tae Kwon Doe school's charge no more than 40-50 a month and you still go 3 times more a week. WTF!? Quality intruction should be cheaper and school's should all openly compete and be realistically evaluated. If MMA doesnt get bigger, then it'll never happen and all the kids/adults out there that want to learn real MA will get fucked.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As a fellow Memphian I'm kind of ashamed to acknowledge that Quinton Jackson was born a few miles away from me.
    Racism! Ban plz.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:43pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    Well **** that. I hope the sport does blow up because then the LARPing assholes out their (specifically the chunners, the aikidoka's, the JJJ fuckers [some, not all] the **** talking kick boxers/boxers) will get wiped out and schools will teach actual self defence and MA and actually 'compete' for students. Why is that LARP schools charge AS MUCH as real MMA/BJJ/MT/ Sambo, etc... school's? Or if not that then why do real MA schools charge so much fucking more?
    The Sambo school that I used to go to charged $30 per lesson. You try being a high school or college student wanting to train more than twice a week and see how fucking annoying it is to cover everything. YET, all the fucking Tae Kwon Doe school's charge no more than 40-50 a month and you still go 3 times more a week. WTF!? Quality intruction should be cheaper and school's should all openly compete and be realistically evaluated. If MMA doesnt get bigger, then it'll never happen and all the kids/adults out there that want to learn real MA will get fucked.
    The point was that when it gets more popular, more people will want to do it = the more commercialized it will become = more McDojoism = more regulation in compitition = fighting skills get diluted = pussification. That is the fear, not that MMA takes over the world and makes it impossable for any other type of MA.

I know that was a gross over-simplification, but hopefully it gets the point across.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Racism! Ban plz.
    He's a stupid ass that just happens to be black, and for all you know I could be black. Racism? You should get banned for being a dumbass.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:12pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a stupid ass that just happens to be black, and for all you know I could be black. Racism? You should get banned for being a dumbass.
    Over-sensitivity! Thick skin plz.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast