Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 1:40pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I think would be the best progression sequence:

Kickboxing- stand up striking (very basic)
    Wrestling- from stand up, going into clinch situtation, and going to the ground, gaining or maintaining dominance on the ground.
    BJJ or Submission Wrestling- finishing off on the ground.
    More complicated things on all ends after that, ie real kung fu or karate, more complicated JJ of any variety, etc.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though cross training would certainly make you more rounded, would it be to much to quickly?. There own curves might actually hinder each other. Or could they compliment?, I.e learning breakfalls in one art will allow you to skip it in another? i.e a judo, bjj and san da combo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jadonblade, basically, yes. Also, look at the progression I present. You start with a simple standup striking style, move to clinching and going to the ground, and then you move into groundfighting. After you've spent a year working on the basic rounded game, you go into the more complicated training in all areas.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You only have a month :O

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked Krav for quickly getting students up to speed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:31pm

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo in December of 06 and ended my 4 year tenure of Aikido in 07, and then I added Muay Thai four months ago.

BJJ to me is too expensive(I would love to add it on), but it's 125, so I'm doing Judo + Muay Thai for 120, so you can't beat that with a baseball bat with a nail through it.

However only after 4 months of striking I feel alot more comfortable in a striking situation(not enough to take on a UFC guy or something), but it actually it feels alot more natural and less exhausting to me than Judo Randori.

4 Years of Aikido ukemi saved me greatly for the switch to Judo(and money on car insurance too lol), don't get me wrong, when big guys hit me with a crazy Tai-Otoshi or footsweep from hell, it still hurts, but I dissipate most of the energy by falling correctly.

Standing Randori, it's very challenging, but I'm happy to start getting some throws in (normally Harai, uchi mata), it's not often, but it occurs. I'm focusing more on grip control, hip placement (getting low as I can), foot placement, etc. so I guess I have to go and do more uchi-komis...

Definately, I'd recommend MT for anyone in terms of learning, I can't imagine where I'll be in a year or two from now.
    Last edited by Sith_Lord; 10/17/2007 3:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jadonblade, with a month, I could produce someone adequately able to survive a confrontation. With a year, I could produce a fighter capable of fighting hard. I'd want two years of that progression to produce a fighter that was competition grade and capable of fighting on the street with a high chance of surviving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 5:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    Definately, I'd recommend MT for anyone in terms of learning, I can't imagine where I'll be in a year or two from now.
    I'm going through a MT beginner's course, and it's not too difficult to pick up. Judo, in contrast, takes forever to learn. My basic throws are still complete ****, and I started early last year. Throwing people is very difficult.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 5:35pm

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ergo
    I'm going through a MT beginner's course, and it's not too difficult to pick up. Judo, in contrast, takes forever to learn. My basic throws are still complete ****, and I started early last year. Throwing people is very difficult.
    I feel the same way man in regards to Judo, just give it time and dedication, and it'll work out.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234