Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 7:31pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your going to fly with a firearm here are some tip's.

1. make shure you have solid locks on a gun case i suggest masterlock padlocks.

2. get a soilid ammo case that can be locked and make shure all ammo is in the ORIGINAL ammo box,and you have a lock for the ammo case.

3.check with the airline your flying on about there rule. some will allow you to transport the ammo in the same gun case as long as it's in it's own original box and under 50 rounds.

4. MAKE shure you comply with the airlines rules and call the airline at both places your arivial and destination for the flight there and back.(haveing to surrender your amunition to a local LEO because they would not let you transport it on the way back because it's not in a valid container sucks.)

3 and 4 are similar but will save you lots of headaces once you arrive. also keep the keys on hand since you have to place the transport slip inot the gun case with most airlines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:44pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you elaborate on the Oregon trip a bit? Are you talking about open carry while walking about town? (Which has a whole host of problems of it's own, regardless of it's legality.) Or just while on property owned by family?

Michigan, the choice is clear. You carry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 10:15pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesinger
    Could you elaborate on the Oregon trip a bit? Are you talking about open carry while walking about town? (Which has a whole host of problems of it's own, regardless of it's legality.) Or just while on property owned by family?

Michigan, the choice is clear. You carry.
    Oregon:
    My wife's sister's (sister in law) wedding.
    In the Portland (Hippy Villa) area.
    The in-laws are mostly art-se, liberal, anti-gunners.

I was considering open carrying everywhere, around town and on private property.

It is legal, but I don’t really like the idea. I am well aware of the many problems (dirty looks from in-laws, unwanted attention in general, harassment from LEO's, gun retention, gun grabbers, being first target during criminal activity, etc.) associated with open carry. But do the Pro's out weigh the Con's?

I agree, the Michigan trip is a no-brainer. But the Oregon trip has really got me thinking.

I have even contemplated just illegally carried concealed, but I really don’t like the idea of breaking the law. But again: do Pro's outweigh Con's?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 12:07am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH
    But do the Pro's out weigh the Con's?
    Quote snipped for ease of reading.

Wow....tough call. I think if it were me, I'd back down a bit and go with the knife as someone else mentioned. Saves the drama open carry can create, and removes the temptation to illegally carry concealed halfway through the trip to avoid more of said drama.
    No fun if that's the time you get caught, and then all the hippies get to point and whine about you now being a non-law abiding gun owner.

Maybe open carry a bar of soap in a holster, that'll keep them damn hippies in line.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesinger
    Maybe open carry a bar of soap in a holster, that'll keep them damn hippies in line.
    LOL.
    Seriously, funny as hell.

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 9:27am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH
    Please don’t bother posting if your comments include things such as: “Why do you feel the need to always be armed” or other such comments. Such trolling will be ignored so don’t waste your time. Go start a post in Sociocide.
    If anyone posts that kind of crap here they'll get a foot in their ass.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mace or pepper spray?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    mace or pepper spray?

I am not a fan of chemical weapons.

The slightest bit of wind can make their use too unpredictable. Just my own personal opinion based on past experiences.

Also, I don’t think they are very effective at stopping a determined attacker. I have been sprayed many times by several different types of chemical weapons.

When I was sprayed with the store bought stuff available to civilians it did nothing more than piss me off. When I was sprayed with the military grade stuff it was much more effective but it didn’t stop me.

I am not saying this to sound like a badass; I am just your average Joe. Consequently I don’t know how effective this stuff would be on a highly motivated or doped up assailant.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fair enough, i've never used or been sprayed with it but i have carried the little pocket size pepper spray with me a few times.

i've only ever thought of it as a good enough weapon to give me an opportunity to deliver a serious follow up to a momentarily stunned attacker. maybe i'm overestimating my own ability.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    fair enough, i've never used or been sprayed with it but i have carried the little pocket size pepper spray with me a few times.

i've only ever thought of it as a good enough weapon to give me an opportunity to deliver a serious follow up to a momentarily stunned attacker. maybe i'm overestimating my own ability.
    If that is what you want from it then you are probly good to go.

You should practice with this weapon just as you would with anyother weapon.
    Test fire this stuff, see what it does in the wind. See first hand what the range of it is. Does it mist or stream. Also, get a partner that you trust and respect and spray eachother with this stuff. It is important to know what it feels like.

If you carry this weapon and dont practice you may be setting your self up for failure.

I dont mean to lecture, but this is just my own .02
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast