Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 10:51am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Have gun – Will travel?

I am a concealed weapon license holder here in Oklahoma and carry a firearm on a daily basis.

Within the next 9 months I will be traveling out of state twice, both to attend weddings. I will be flying both times. One trip is to Michigan and the other one is to Oregon. Michigan acknowledges and accepts my Oklahoma concealed weapon license while Oregon does not.

Here is my question. In your own personal opinions what would you do in these 2 situations?

Michigan trip: deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm and carry concealed while in Michigan (completely legal), or just leave the weapon at home and go unarmed.

Oregon trip: deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm and open carry while in Oregon (completely legal, but likely to freak out extended family), or just leave the weapon at home and go unarmed.

This is a serious question. I hope to hear from concealed carrying like minded brethren.

Please don’t bother posting if your comments include things such as: “Why do you feel the need to always be armed” or other such comments. Such trolling will be ignored so don’t waste your time. Go start a post in Sociocide.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 11:53am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By all means, carry concealed in Michigan, since you're 100% in the clear on this matter.

As for Oregon, that all depends on whether or not you want a harmonious relationship with your family members. If you want to keep things quiet, then don't carry openly or concealed. Bring it with you, though, since it's better to have it near you and not need it, rather than to be caught by the alternative.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 1:45pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry in both instances, just leave the weapon behind and carry a knife when you have to deal with the inlaws. A small one would do, as it would also function as a tool.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're on private property on Oregon carry concealed. During car trips, or public crap, store it lawfully but still accessibly.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 3:02pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is slightly off topic but I was curious. How did you go about finding out if it was legal to carry in your destination, and can you elaborate on "deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm" as in would you carry on the plane? would the gun be checked? in your carry on? etc. If you feel it more appropriate to answer via PM that would be fine.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Each airline has rules and regulations for flying with firearms available by calling their information line. For the most part they are set up for hunters transporting rifles. The same rules will apply for pistols.

Usually you need a lock, and an actual firearms case. You should be prepared to arrive at the airport earlier than you would normally show up as you can not curb check firearms. I believe that you are not allowed to transport ammunition as it is classified as an explosive.

I have known airport workers in the past, and they have told me that pistols disappear not too infrequently. This may be bullshit, but it is something to consider. I usually try not to check anything of value when I travel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 3:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    Carry in both instances, just leave the weapon behind and carry a knife when you have to deal with the inlaws. A small one would do, as it would also function as a tool.
    I am digging the knife idea. I carry one on a daily basis anyways.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61333

Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    If you're on private property on Oregon carry concealed. During car trips, or public crap, store it lawfully but still accessibly.
    Good idea. BTW are you an Oregon LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    This is slightly off topic but I was curious. How did you go about finding out if it was legal to carry in your destination, and can you elaborate on "deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm" as in would you carry on the plane? would the gun be checked? in your carry on? etc. If you feel it more appropriate to answer via PM that would be fine.
    I look at the various states web sites (State Police, State Bureau of Investigation). Websites that are created and managed by government organizations are very accurate and trustworthy. Just go to their websites and read the laws.

When flying you need to have your weapon inspected and check in with your luggage. This info can be confirmed through TSA and the specific airline (NWA in my case).

Anyways, thanks for all of your input. I look forward to hearing more suggestions.
    Last edited by AMH; 10/15/2007 3:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by deaddeaddead
    Each airline has rules and regulations for flying with firearms available by calling their information line. For the most part they are set up for hunters transporting rifles. The same rules will apply for pistols.

Usually you need a lock, and an actual firearms case. You should be prepared to arrive at the airport earlier than you would normally show up as you can not curb check firearms. I believe that you are not allowed to transport ammunition as it is classified as an explosive.

I have known airport workers in the past, and they have told me that pistols disappear not too infrequently. This may be bullshit, but it is something to consider. I usually try not to check anything of value when I travel.
    Ammo must be shipped in a container designed to store ammo or the original packaging. I have flown with guns a million times and have never had a pistol or any other luggage disappear.

See:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    carry a knife when you have to deal with the inlaws.
    Jeez, most people just go to counseling, but if your wife is cool with it then "go nuts".
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 4:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH
    Ammo must be shipped in a container designed to store ammo or the original packaging. I have flown with guns a million times and have never had a pistol or any other luggage disappear.

See:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Good to know about the ammo. I have had **** go missing at the airport. Nothing really important, but still super lame.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast