Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bono's JKD & Kajukenbo?

This seems to be a good place for Kajukenbo in Santa Clara County. Is it a good school? Are there better options for Kajukenbo around? I really like the idea of Kajukenbo, but I don't know if it's as good as it seems on the surface (if it has alive training, practical techniques, etc.).

I ask because there's plenty of good options in the area where I live (i.e. Fairtex's Mountain View branch is about 12 minutes from my home) and I really want to choose the one that has what I'm looking for.

That video of one of Bono's students fighting someone else also has me intrigued, seems like the right things are being taught there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 10:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monosodium,

From what I know of Professor Bono, he is a great guy and he seems to produce excellent fighters and his training consist of very little B.S. I doubt you will find a better gym, in that area. BTW...in case you didn't already have it, here is his website: http://www.bonosjeetkunedo-kajukenbo.com/

I personally never been to his gym (I wish I could though), but I have discussed other martial art subjects with him privately and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. Do yourself a favor and at least go check out a class, I doubt you will be disappointed.
    Last edited by fivestar; 10/16/2007 2:35pm at .

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 12:03pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Professor Bono is a great guy. He has a reputation for being very alive, and having very intense, realistic training that covers all ranges. You'll probably be very happy there.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Professor Bono is someone I would like to one day train with. He holds an 8th Dan in Kaju, and also trained JKD under the late Larry Hartsell. From what I know, his training contains a healthy balance of striking and ground grappling, along with the "punch'm in the face" Kaju attitude. I wouldn't worry too much about not having enough live training. If you go, be sure to let us know how class is.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the advice.

I've heard that Kajukenbo is "less than the sum of its parts" from some on this board.

From your feedback I think it's safe to say that this school is one of the good ones (aliveness over LARPing, hard contact over slap-fests) ... But is it better than other nearby schools such as Fairtex?

Fairtex, as you probably already know, offers Muay Thai and BJJ, but I really like the idea of combining both striking and grappling disciplines into a single cohesive system. Other arts I am currently interested in are Muay Thai, Judo, and BJJ, and it seems the (good) Kajukenbo schools have many of the best elements of each. I am making arrangements to observe a class now; any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monosodium

Other arts I am currently interested in are Muay Thai, Judo, and BJJ, and it seems the (good) Kajukenbo schools have many of the best elements of each.
    This is almost exactly what my Kajukenbo school teaches along with self-defense (ie. what do you do if someone bear hugs you from behind, tries to choke you from the front or the back, etc) as well as knife + stick (Escrima) training. One of the things that differentiates us from MMA gyms is we are ALSO taught what some may consider dirty fighting (head butts, eye pokes, groin strikes, strikes to the back of the head, etc.). If your goal is to win an MMA match, they an MMA gym may be a better choice (although Bono has some great MMA fighters), but if you are not interested in competing, but want to learn how to fight regardless if it goes to the ground or not, then Kajukenbo is one of the best.
    Last edited by fivestar; 10/17/2007 11:43pm at .