Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:29pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    My defense is ok, but I spend too much time on the defensive side in sparring. I'll block 3 or 4 shots in a row, then get hit with one, unsuccessfully try to land a combination, etc. It seems like I can only really handle sparring people who are 6 inches shorter than me and 40 lbs lighter, when I face guys close to my size or bigger(whose ability and experience is a lot higher), then I go from either really defensive, only doing a couple shots in a combo, to receiving 4 or 5 shots in a combination, or just blocking the entire time. As far as agressiveness, I feel like people are going all out (or close to it) against me, and I can can't keep pace with it, I feel like if I go harder I am just going to get hit worse ("give as hard as you get..."), so there's no point. I am not a small guy (6"3, 190), but I really feel the shots that I am taking, even from someone who weighs less.

Here's some wisdom from me

Grow a set

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:29pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have too much anger and aggression to quit.
    I don't vent my issues by being emo or by taking them out on other people.
    if i didnt have MA. I'd have 500x more holes in my walls, doors, fence, etc. from holding everything inside.

MA gives me a place where I can express and burnout my aggression, anger and frustration without feeling guilty about it and without having to talk to people about it.

You don't seem to have any kind of emotion when you fight.
    Contrary to popular belief. I think emotion or passion is one of the best things to have when you fight.

It keeps you comitted to your strikes and keeps you focused and locked.

Stop being a ***** and express yourself as my teacher told me when I first started.
    Last edited by variance; 10/14/2007 3:33pm at .

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:33pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    I have too much anger and aggression to quit.
    I don't vent my issues by being emo or by taking them out on other people.
    if i didnt have MA. I'd have 500x more holes in my walls, doors, fence, etc.
    from holding everything inside.

MA gives me a place where I can express and burnout my aggression, anger and frustration without feeling guilty about it and without having to talk to people about it.
    Seriously? I don't get that, man. Every time I step on the mats, I just leave all my real-life **** behind and get this big fucking goofy grin on my face. I can't roll when I'm angry, because when I'm rolling I'm always happy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Xingyi, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal belief is that you should try taking a break, as opposed to quitting. Mentally it seems daunting to quit, but you can always try checking out other, less injury prone stuff. High impact training is a lot of fun, but the human body can only take so much. Maybe you just need a few months off. Especially if you're in the crowd that needs aspirin, etc. on a regular basis. Long term use of that really can screw up your body. You can always start doing tai chi, and then post on how great forms are. That will open up a really fresh and interesting discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:58pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well since one of them is a millionaire with boxer's dementia and one of them is just a millionaire that's kind of a trick question.
    Of course, Don King has a sordid past, but that doesn't mean that fight promoters need to follow in his foot steps. It's still unbelievably tragic what's happened to Ali though.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 5:54pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milquetoast
    My personal belief is that you should try taking a break, as opposed to quitting. Mentally it seems daunting to quit, but you can always try checking out other, less injury prone stuff. High impact training is a lot of fun, but the human body can only take so much. Maybe you just need a few months off. Especially if you're in the crowd that needs aspirin, etc. on a regular basis. Long term use of that really can screw up your body. You can always start doing tai chi, and then post on how great forms are. That will open up a really fresh and interesting discussion.
    The only MA's I have any interest in are MT, boxing, BJJ, and kyokushin. I have trained long enough to know that people do get injured training this stuff regardless of skill, and as of today I can barely walk on my left leg because of the damage it took yesterday from only a few hard low-kicks.

To another response, no I don't have any emotion when I train. I don't feel any malice towards my sparring partner, and it is a training drill, so I don't have the feeling that I would in a fight. Dunno how to rectify this conundrum.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 6:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eldarbong, I'm sure that thought crosses the mind of anyone who pursues a sport/activity at one time or another.

1. Stop looking at other people and comparing yourself to others. Find confidence in your own style and work with your strengths. Sounds cliched but it actually works if you make the small effort to do so.

Some of our BEST fighters in class are what you might term 'non-aggressive'. I love what Vicious Flamingo said about putting everything aside and rolling/sparring/training (the concept of 'no mind' :D). Just like on the other side of the spectrum there are those who are more aggressive and might show their emotion. Neither 'type' of fighter is more passionate than the other. What counts is that they are both there.

2. You're f-ing huge. I am the shortest and lightest person in my class (you've got about 75 pounds on me and 8 inches in height). Please don't complain about how much it hurts, that pisses me off no end.

3. That being said, you're a grown up capable of making your own choices. You can leave MA and try something different, good luck. Its what I'm willing to give, not just what I'm going to get out of MA that keeps me training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 6:20pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'no mind'
    Lolzies, mushin no shin for the win. Seriously man, if your legs hurt from kicks, take a break for a while.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast