Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 1:53pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you ever think about quitting MA's?

Lately I have been wondering about this myself. When I add up my injuries/stress on my body(which has been increasing over time), the time and energy consumed, and where my training is "going," I can't help but wonder if I would be better off just training one art, or none at all. Many of the people I know who fight seem very naturally agressive, and this translates into how they train. They just seem like they were made to scrap and fight. Then there's us quiet internet types, who have been training quite a while, and watch all the fighting we can, but can't seem to have the competence needed in fighting to really do anything with it. Sometimes I feel like I am not the right "type" of person for MA's, and I should either cut it down to just minimal training for fitness, or just choose a different way to get fit.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 1:58pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loser. Jus' because your daddy hugged you too much as a child isn't a reason to quit.

yes....

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 1:59pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when it stops being fun for me, i'll stop.

that's how much thought i've put into quitting.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Loser. Jus' because your daddy hugged you too much as a child isn't a reason to quit.
    You do Wing Chun.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 2:07pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    You do Wing Chun.
    You don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 2:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started with Judo, since may added BJJ to the repertoire = 6 days a week of training.
    I managed this for around 4 months and with my new school schedule shifted to 3-4 days a week of BJJ since their training times are more flexible (Renzo Gracie Academy has an awesome schedule). I don't think I quit Judo though, just aren't able to both in my last year of university.

Honestly I've never contemplated quitting, maybe because I haven't been doing it for terribly long maybe because I am relatively young (20yo) but I don't see ever actually quitting, its too fun.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 2:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    Lately I have been wondering about this myself. When I add up my injuries/stress on my body(which has been increasing over time), the time and energy consumed, and where my training is "going," I can't help but wonder if I would be better off just training one art, or none at all. Many of the people I know who fight seem very naturally agressive, and this translates into how they train. They just seem like they were made to scrap and fight. Then there's us quiet internet types, who have been training quite a while, and watch all the fighting we can, but can't seem to have the competence needed in fighting to really do anything with it. Sometimes I feel like I am not the right "type" of person for MA's, and I should either cut it down to just minimal training for fitness, or just choose a different way to get fit.
    Why do you think you aren't naturally aggressive? Why does this have so much to do with your training? You can be a great defensive fighter.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:17pm

Style: Oyoma Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember man, the guys you see in Pride, UFC, K-1, **** even the people who successfully compete in more amateur venues, are freaks (no offense fight crew, you guys are the good kind of freaks, like the X-men or Gary Coleman.) They have the natural kinesthetic ability coupled with a mindset that is conducive to being successful in competition. You can still train and enjoy your sport/art, as long as you're still having fun. Also, since this is a burgeoning sport, think of the possibilities for someone who loves MMA, knows the ins and outs of a great fighter, and has some knowledge of how the industry works. The question is who would you really rather be today, Don King or Cassius Clay?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well since one of them is very sick and one of them isn't that's kind of a trick question.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Why do you think you aren't naturally aggressive? Why does this have so much to do with your training? You can be a great defensive fighter.
    My defense is ok, but I spend too much time on the defensive side in sparring. I'll block 3 or 4 shots in a row, then get hit with one, unsuccessfully try to land a combination, etc. It seems like I can only really handle sparring people who are 6 inches shorter than me and 40 lbs lighter, when I face guys close to my size or bigger(whose ability and experience is a lot higher), then I go from either really defensive, only doing a couple shots in a combo, to receiving 4 or 5 shots in a combination, or just blocking the entire time. As far as agressiveness, I feel like people are going all out (or close to it) against me, and I can can't keep pace with it, I feel like if I go harder I am just going to get hit worse ("give as hard as you get..."), so there's no point. I am not a small guy (6"3, 190), but I really feel the shots that I am taking, even from someone who weighs less.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast