Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2007 6:34pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing will help you in whatever martial art you intend to take up. There is very little negative associated with incorporating boxing technique and strategy into a well rounded game.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 11:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sweet science eight limbs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    in all honesty - i haven't the slightest clue what the difference is between ameteur and prof boxing. hell, i don't even watch boxing matches. i just started taking the boxing class as soon as the program was added so that i could learn actual footwork , angling and also to clean up my hands. i'm just a martial arts n00b who started out with Krav Maga and then took up Muay Thai ( about 4 months ago) in addition to some other stuff. I'm interested in competing in amateur MT fights once i get decent at this stuff. Boxing...not so much....but who knows?
    ok i think i'm somewhat like u...took up MT for 3 mths before hurting my knee trying to learn a spinning back kick from you tube. now i'm unable to carry on MT a while. hence decides to pick up boxing. my question is will the 2 styles be able to merge harmoniously or will it be conflicting? like say footwork, punching styles and posture?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2007 2:31pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plakat
    ok i think i'm somewhat like u...took up MT for 3 mths before hurting my knee trying to learn a spinning back kick from you tube. now i'm unable to carry on MT a while. hence decides to pick up boxing. my question is will the 2 styles be able to merge harmoniously or will it be conflicting? like say footwork, punching styles and posture?
    It depends on your style, and how you best throw your punches. Outboxers (a la Ali, Holmes, etc.) rely on a very angled stance that leaves very little open to hit. While defensively, this is a boon, the stance itself is terrible against leg kicks. Outboxers use their stance and positioning to their advantage, but this only advantageous in a situation without kicks or grappling.

Punchers and well rounded boxers, I've found, are generally more suited to MT and MMA, because once the stance is taken out, their style of punching is able to adapt to the more square MT stance. It's harder to throw "boxer" style punches from a MT stance than it is to throw "puncher" style punches (where you "sit" into the punch).

But all that stuff aside, the skills learned in boxing are so universally and fundamentally sound that they can be effectively incorporated into any art. One of my coaches was also a Goju-Ryu practitioner, and he had absolutely no trouble using boxing to his advantage. Another one of our fighters was a former MT fighter, and you could clearly see that his former MT training and no ill effects on his boxing (and vice versa).

In short - footwork may change (you can't really dance around as much when kicks are incorporated), punching styles may change (but really, it will be for the better) and so will your posture. But if you know how your body works, these will all be positive ways to improve your MT. It never, ever hurts to learn to punch better.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/08/2007 6:36pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub
    Generally, who punches better? Krava Maga-ists or Boxers? Also, no offense intended, but if you aren't able to throw a jab without hyper-extending your arm, then perhaps you have misunderstood some of the finer points of the punch?

edit: also see my earlier post regarding the potential misunderstanding between thumbs up hooks and palm down hooks.
    boxers disagree about which knuckles to use, though. The majority say big 2.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sweet science eight limbs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing here i come!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 2:36pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    boxers disagree about which knuckles to use, though. The majority say big 2.
    my vote is for the big two no matter what my coach says...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 11:03am

Style: Western Boxing mostly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shard
    Bobbing and Weaving aren't the easiest to apply to MMA. You'll get caught with knees and kicks or potentially be dragged into a clinch with your opponent initially getting the upper hand.
    I have seen enough MMA matches to know that this is just not true in any majority.
    Last edited by ThorsMitersaw; 12/28/2007 11:25am at . Reason: clarification
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456