Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:38pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll chime in. My training is mostly MT, but I supplement with one boxing class per week, which is fortunately run out of the same gym, by a true boxing coach who makes us change our stance and forget about kicks and takedowns. I'm not a serious MMA fighter, so perhaps cross training in pure boxing may have more of a confusing effect on your stance and habits than I appreciate, but I've found that boxing supplements my MT and MMA game pretty well with minimal confusion. I tend to take more of a sideways boxing stance when I spar MT, since my hands are my strength, and I've trained MT enough to watch out for the low kicks. If you're naturally light on your feet, you'll find it's not hard to plant and throw boxing style punches when needed and then back off with a more squared stance to check kicks (and avoid take downs in an MMA situation).

Bottom line from me is this: Don't be afraid to train boxing regularly, and completely (meaning use their stance, bob, weave, learn it in its pure form), as a supplemental part of your schedule. The benefits are great, and it's pretty easy to leave out/switch out of its weaknesses during MMA.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 2:09pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Did dinnerpig just say that boxing teaches you to hit with your pinky, ring and middle knuckles?
    Yes, and this is old school thinking as well. Just read some of the old boxing manuals.

Also, boxing has the best hand techniques, period. End of story. Scientifically proven.

By the way, Happy Halloween. Like my Avatar costume?
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 2:42pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only thing I can point out is the boxing stance is a bit lower on the knees and the lead foot is pointed inside a little more towards the rear leg than the Muay Thai stance. Nothing is wrong with training boxing, as it has the best punching methods, but if you're training in a boxer stance all of the time then thats how you're going to fight. The left leg pointing a little inside instead of straight out is going to give you some trouble with kicking, especially on teeps/front kicks and the lowered knees will make you easier to take down with angle kicks.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 2:52pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with training in a way that's not exactly the way you fight MMA. You just adapt it. Do you train BJJ exactly how you'd fight on the ground in MMA?

The biggest problem sounds to me like the fact that you can't wrestle. If you can wrestle, you'll be able to have a lot more say in what range you fight at.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The three "weakest" fingers thing has got to be a school of thought thing as far as modern boxing goes right? I know in the 19th century boxing manuals have a lot of WC like fists going on but all the boxers I've trained with hit with the first two knuckles.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:06pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knuckles thing has to do with breaking your hand.

Make a fist and push it up against the wall. First press your two big knuckles then push against your little 3. You have to point your wrist down to use the big 2 knuckles.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    The knuckles thing has to do with breaking your hand.

Make a fist and push it up against the wall. First press your two big knuckles then push against your little 3. You have to point your wrist down to use the big 2 knuckles.
    I've punched thousands of times at people and bags and never broken my hand while hitting with my two bigger knuckles. So, no just no.

I was specifically refering to boxing coaches who recommend punching this way. Who has a boxing coach that has recommended that punch and who doesn't.

So far Dinnerpig's boxing coach says 3 small knuckles and mine says 2 big knuckles.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing coach at Old School Gym down here says big two when he visited HC as a guest coach.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My original boxing coach said the big two as well. The reason was to line up the biggest bones with the force transmitting through the wrist/forearm. The angle was considered correct and desired.

Same thing with the boxing coach at my MT gym.

Anecdote FWIW: years ago I punched a plaster coated wooden slat wall full force (And no, she wasn't worth it). The force ended up being on the bottom three knuckles. I badly fractured the pinky metacarpal and it's crooked to this day. The fracture of that specific metacarpal is the old "boxers fracture".

I think that old boxing advice begat that name.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fracture I stupidly got on my right hand was when trying to learn how to punch with the three little fingers. Never, never, never again.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast