Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 12:14pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing for MMA?

OK, i've done Muay Thai for around 8 months but tend to notice that i'm not throwing many kicks in sparring. I think part of the reason for this is that i've never done wrestling, so am wary of being taken down, hence wanting to keep my feet planted to reduce the risk. I also do BJJ so am ok off my back but prefer to fight from the top.

I'm thinking of dropping the Muay Thai and focusing on boxing instead, to really get my hands going nicely. I can throw a decent kick now and can defend that pretty good but my hands are lacking quite a lot.

What i want to know is how much of boxing can you apply to MMA and how much should be left out of the ring/cage? I notice Randy trying to bob and weave against Gonzaga and ended up eating a pretty hefty kick to the face for his efforts! The stance seems to differ quite a lot to, as in MMA you need a more square on stance to kick, defend kicks and set up takedowns.

For those of you that have transitioned to MMA from a boxing background, what have you had to adapt in your game?

I like the style of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, he also uses a boxing and BJJ combo.

Also, if i went to a pure boxing gym and stated that i wanted to adapt it to MMA, would they get offended? For example, they are telling em to stand more side on but i explain that i don;t want to get into this habit, do you think they'd look down on me? There are no MMA gyms local to me that have a good boxing coach so that seems out of the question.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta tell you, there is a lot of hate for mma in the boxing world and some purists would hate if you tiold them what you were going to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah that was exactly one of my concerns! Trouble is, as i live in the UK good MMA gyms are few and far between and even less have a dedicated, top level boxing coach.

There are loads of ABA clubs around though, and they're dirt cheap to train at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody on here made the transition then?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are having trouble with kicks why would you give up MT? There are no knees or elbows in boxing. If anything, lack of training for a takedown is what is going to lead to you being taken down. You should throw more kicks and learn how to follow up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:37pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M.T. fights more like MMA than boxing does. Why don't you tell your trainer you want to focus on your hands more? You might also try Joe Lauzon's videos on boxing for MMA to get some ideas.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Nobody on here made the transition then?
    I went the other way.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 3:53pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't transition from Muay Thai to boxing, but I trained boxing along with kung fu, then practiced Muay Thai. Basically, certain techniques work better for different rules. If you are going to use boxing for MMA, you really have to adapt it to the cage well. I think most boxers are only concerned with the rules of a boxing match when they teach it.

I would say the best thing to do is just to continue the training that you are doing now, I think Muay Thai punches are more suited to MMA than boxing punches.

Of course you see good examples of MMA fighters using boxing punches well, but I think you have to have a coach that specifically trains it for MMA.

Takanori Gomi is probably one of the better examples I can think of in MMA, but he takes a lot of punches. :biggrin:

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:52pm

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez

Also, if i went to a pure boxing gym and stated that i wanted to adapt it to MMA, would they get offended? For example, they are telling em to stand more side on but i explain that i don;t want to get into this habit, do you think they'd look down on me? There are no MMA gyms local to me that have a good boxing coach so that seems out of the question.
    I just started taking boxing classes from Robert Crawford. Yes, you will get yelled at if you try to avoid the typical boxer's stance. You'll learn great foot work but remember that bobbing and weaving can lead to knees and other less than pleasant strikes. I still can't get accustomed to the way you punch in boxing..the rotating of the shoulder and punching with the last three (weakest) knuckles. And you are not supposed to rotate your body when you throw your jabs (which is something i was taught to do for more power).

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did dinnerpig just say that boxing teaches you to hit with your pinky, ring and middle knuckles?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast