Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 8:12am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sprained ankle

2 days ago I twisted my ankle while jogging in the woods. Man, it ached, but I managed to get home on my own. I'm in excellent shape and I train on regular basis. It shocked me how easily you can get this kind of injury... I'm interested if there are some excersises for strengthening ankles and nearby ligaments. Maybe bjj practitioners could share something? I've been doing this excersise where you sit on your knees and then lie back, but that's about it.
    Last edited by white_flame; 10/14/2007 8:18am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skipping does wonders for your ankles. Also, it's not just a matter of strenght but also flexibility. I strongly suggest you check the exrx.net page that covers the muscles involved in ankle articulartions.

In that website (links provided her), study both strenghtening and stretching exercises for plantar flexion (gastrocnemiums aka calf and soleus) and dorsal flexion (tibialis anterior). Pay attention to the article on dorsiflexion inflexibility (linked here.)

Almost everything you need to know in ankle strenghtening are on those links. Every major muscle involved is linked to a page containing both strenghtening and stretching exercises.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 11:01am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have insurance, try to get to a podiatrist. Depending on how your feet are formed, you might be more prone to ankle injuries. Shoes, braces and orthotics can help, and they can recommend the best course of action.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 11:49am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have sprained my right ankle multiple times. First, you can't really strengthen ligaments. The best you can do is work on strengthening the muscles around the ankle and building up flexibility. But be very careful, after one sprain it becomes easier to re-sprain.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 4:27pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear an ankle brace when you run.

Thread over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the links Teh El Macho! Really good read...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just like to stress what Wolf said about re-injury. I sprained both my ankles playing tenning over 10 years ago and they have never been the same. However, the more I exercise my legs, the less I twist my ankle (I use the exercises on exrx.net that macho has already pointed out). But it does happen more than the average person (from what I can gather)

Make sure you have proper footwear and give the ankle proper rest.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 5:38pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** YO BITCHES WEAR ANKLE BRACES NUIFF SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!!! !!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear ankle braces everytime I roll. But that's just some extra insurance if **** happens, which it's always bound to. Strenghtening and stretching the ankles is the key.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to let you know that my ankle has only now recovered. As you can see it took almost 3 months. I started to train and sparr 2 weeks after the injury though. It's very possible that this might be the reason for the extended recovery. But then again I recall that the pain in my ankle was more severe when I hadn't been doing any workout for some time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast