Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 11:36pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually trained in Thailand for a while, and even they didn't play that godawful music while sparring. Only at their fight shows, and even then only during the fights. The rest of the time the music was hip-hop or dance music. Except at Lumpinee where there was actually a band playing the crap. But still at the gym, it was mostly hip-hop. I'm not saying this is entirely representative of every gym in Thailand, but that gym was definitely Muay Thai proper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    They should be able to tell you the names of the techniques in Thai and how they translate and why.(A lot of the more traditional techniques are very animalistic in nature)
    Also not true. In Thailand, they still used the same names for techniques as we do. Jab, cross, etc. Only one of the trainers knew what all the weird Muay Boran names were for various techniques, and he wasn't the best fighter there, so definitely not necessary.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leec123
    I know what you mean about the music, but the world is a wonderful place when it stops.

We never really had any bags where I have trained, normally just rented halls etc.
    We were always the guys leaning into the pads and using it as blocking/conditioning practise so thats what I have been used to.

My Sit Kru was European and 3 rings champion, so I wasn't going to argue with him when he said to try and KO the guy with everything
    im not going to pull out the "my dad can beat up your dad" here but i disagree with your coach, you try to KO someone with every hit you are gonna be fucked after the first round. same as punjching with anger. surely your blocking practice should come from sparring? we do drills with pads as well working in blocks etc as part of combos as well though.

I had an old thai dude tell me with a dead serious face that they play the music to try and get the fighters to end the fights earlier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 6:14am

Style: MT,full contact JJ,Sudoku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    im not going to pull out the "my dad can beat up your dad" here but i disagree with your coach, you try to KO someone with every hit you are gonna be fucked after the first round. same as punjching with anger. surely your blocking practice should come from sparring? we do drills with pads as well working in blocks etc as part of combos as well though.

I had an old thai dude tell me with a dead serious face that they play the music to try and get the fighters to end the fights earlier.
    hahaha, i hadnt heard the one about finishing the fights early before.

i wasnt trying to say anyone else is wrong, just putting in my experiences of how i was taught MT. i have been to a couple of places where they were advertising as MT, but were actually doing kickboxing- was just trying to provide the OP with some info.

On a lighter note, think I am going to Thailand for 10 days training in April. Yay!!!!!

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 2:13pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex

Rob Kaman once said in an interview that you should throw every strike in a fight full power.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    Rob Kaman once said in an interview that you should throw every strike in a fight full power.
    Does "full power" mean to try for a knock out with every punch?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 2:25pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but I guess it depends on peoples style. Those who are more technical and prefer outboxing their opponent might not want to tire themselves early. Kaman was a KO artist so he commited to each strike.

Mike Tyson is a guy that I doubt ever put anything less than everything he had into every punch he threw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conditioning issues aside, if you fight a good counter-puncher and sit down on every punch trying for a knockout, you're pretty likely going to take some punishment. If the guy doesn't want to stand in front of you, you'll need to set things up a little more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't....edit.....

Wanted to add that some people, like Tyson when he was good, could get away with knockout power behind everything, but this might not make it a hard and fast rule.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 12:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    I disagree whole heartedly, again, conditioning issues aside, if you toss everything you've got into every punch you've got, your going to over compensate. you throw your grandkids into that right cross, and he slips? Oh man, thats a world of pain for you.

In my opinion, wouldn't it be better (and less tiring) to use your jabs, your crosses, your hooks, to open up his defense for that knockout punch?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast