OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this feasible?

I find it hard to devote a solid two hour block of time to do a good warm up, upper body lift, leg lift, and then something for the back, then get tired as a dog and have to recuperate for a while.

So I was thinking of doing a bit each day instead. For example, a small warm up, then just do bench press. Next day, small warm up, squats. Etc. Would that work? I'd do a different body part each day. My main fear is that "a small warmup" won't cut it. Right now I take a short 5 min bike ride and some loosening up exercises like cherry pickers and knee rotations, etc. Then my lifts increase in weight per set, and I do 5 sets total. Under the new scheme I'd keep everything the same.

This would be useful time-wise because now I have to schedule a day outright to train and if anything gets assigned in class that day I'll have to put it off till tomorrow. And tomorrow doesn't come for a week at a time.

If I can do it this way, would I have to lower the amount of weight I can lift, so as to not splode my muscles?
    Last edited by Poop Loops; 10/13/2007 8:02pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it taking you 2 hours to do 3 lifts? Maybe there is an issue to be found here?

But in either case, you could do 1 day of upperbody/1 day of lower body. Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards is set up that way.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be more beneficial for your body if you mixed it up each day. If your routine got too stagnant and you're not shocking your body, it'll just get used to the routine and you won't be getting results.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'd go back to doing several lifts per workout once school got out. But when I go to school, I also go to work, and there's just not enough time in the day.

It takes me that long to do 3 lifts because I take a long time to rest in between sets. Should I stop resting so long?

Also, I am now a fat bastard at 5'10" and 190, with belly fat that I need to get rid of. My diet is shitty, but I am slowly changing that.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Well I'd go back to doing several lifts per workout once school got out. But when I go to school, I also go to work, and there's just not enough time in the day.

It takes me that long to do 3 lifts because I take a long time to rest in between sets. Should I stop resting so long?

Also, I am now a fat bastard at 5'10" and 190, with belly fat that I need to get rid of. My diet is shitty, but I am slowly changing that.
    Pretty much. I do 3 lifts too, and it takes me maybe a little over an hour. Long rest is good, but if you don't have 2 hours to lift, the logical solution is to take only 1.

It would be more beneficial for your body if you mixed it up each day. If your routine got too stagnant and you're not shocking your body, it'll just get used to the routine and you won't be getting results.
    You don't need to mix up your routine each day, nor do you need to "shock" your body. This is just Muscle and Mythness propaganda. You get progress through progressive resistance. Everytime you lift, either do more reps or add more weight. If you do this, you won't get stagnant.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:37pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it hard to devote a solid two hour block of time to do a good warm up, upper body lift, leg lift, and then something for the back, then get tired as a dog and have to recuperate for a while.

So I was thinking of doing a bit each day instead. For example, a small warm up, then just do bench press. Next day, small warm up, squats. Etc. Would that work? I'd do a different body part each day. My main fear is that "a small warmup" won't cut it. Right now I take a short 5 min bike ride and some loosening up exercises like cherry pickers and knee rotations, etc. Then my lifts increase in weight per set, and I do 5 sets total. Under the new scheme I'd keep everything the same.

This would be useful time-wise because now I have to schedule a day outright to train and if anything gets assigned in class that day I'll have to put it off till tomorrow. And tomorrow doesn't come for a week at a time.

If I can do it this way, would I have to lower the amount of weight I can lift, so as to not splode my muscles?
    I apparently am not very smart as to the fact that I dont think I am understanding your question. At the same time I do not want to insult you.

But, if I am reading this correct, you are stating that your warm up is 2 hours ? If so, please clarify in order for myself and the rest of the Intelligent part of this forum can advise you.

Sharkonis

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're at it, what's a good way to work the back? I've been doing pull ups and chin ups, but damn, I don't have the energy to do 5 sets like with the other exercises.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonis
    I apparently am not very smart as to the fact that I dont think I am understanding your question. At the same time I do not want to insult you.

But, if I am reading this correct, you are stating that your warm up is 2 hours ? If so, please clarify in order for myself and the rest of the Intelligent part of this forum can advise you.

Sharkonis
    No no no, the warm up is like 10 or so minutes. The whole thing takes me like two hours.

Alright, I have some time now, so I am going to go work out and see how it works with less time in between rests. Naturally I won't be able to lift as much, but I'm doing this to get stronger, not to brag about numbers, amirite?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:49pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No no no, the warm up is like 10 or so minutes. The whole thing takes me like two hours.

Alright, I have some time now, so I am going to go work out and see how it works with less time in between rests. Naturally I won't be able to lift as much, but I'm doing this to get stronger, not to brag about numbers, amirite?
    May I ask your age, current weight and goals so as to further assist. ?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're at it, what's a good way to work the back? I've been doing pull ups and chin ups, but damn, I don't have the energy to do 5 sets like with the other exercises.
    You might want to consider evaluating your lifestyle, diet, sleep schedule, nutrients, etc. Someone your age shouldn't be encountering this lack of energy/need for so much rest.

But aside from pull-ups and chins, there's rows of all varities.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast