Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 3:33pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies. Did you get anything from your training, aside from the mountain of crap that was apparently heaped upon you? Maybe a kick, or even a good workout?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:59pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    Kempofist, I did Parker's American Kenpo, Parker-Planas lineage, under a 5th Black. Yes, there is a main difference between what I see in videos on the web, and what I trained, in that I trained with actual contact, we sparred a lot (and not just point sparring), and My instructor, as well as his first partner in the dojo, had Judo training which they incorporated into our training. It wasn't about the flashy moves and looking good moving fast, it was about actually trying to train for SD.
    bushi,

Any chance your teacher was Martin Wheeler?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 11:12pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, first it was Gordon Buck, then Al Myrtle of Northern California.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everybody, Iím new here and would like to try and answer some of the questions some people have with trying Kenpo or any other karate techniques. I myself have 4yrs. Training in Kenpo as well as some training in Okinawin Kempo. The thing for people to remember is that ALL of the arts take years to perfect. At first very few techniques will work. There are so many quirks that are in these techniques that you just donít know are there. TRY NOT TO THINK OF THEM AS TECHNIQUES, THIER JUST IDEAS THAT CAN AND WILL CHANGE DURING COMBAT. There are techniques that you can learn for street that donít require that much training to use, palm strikes to the head, kicks to the shins or groin, head butts etc. All systems are legitimate. The sad part for me was that after being verbally abuse by my instructor for all of 4yrs. I ended up quitting. Training by myself w/ dvdís , learning techniques, but not having a partner I am limited in my progression. I am 49 yrs. Old, I really would rather train at my own pace, as I am 50lbs overweight, I remember when I started back when I
    Was 34yrs. Old , it still almost killed me to keep up the pace day after day, the best I can do is stick w/ the dvd training and look for a partner to work with. Not that many Kenpo schools where Iím at and I donít think I need these places anymore, although I highly recommend for beginners. At some point you will know what to look for in the techniques and katas, itís not better than training w/ a master, but it keeps me going.
    Last edited by pama42; 10/17/2007 1:02pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to the site
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:14am

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    I am 49 yrs. Old, I really would rather train at my own pace, as I am 50lbs overweight,

You might be a little out of touch. There's no such thing as being 50 lbs overweight in kenpo. Judging from some of the kenpo masters I've seen, you might actually be underweight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 11:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are the ones that watch & teach, but do little, so that is right, but unless your in the click, they will work you to death and if something were to happen, guess what you did it to yourself by being there, thats what they would say. After the age of about 40, you should train, but train w/ some common sense. How long does anybody want to train if everyday is a brutal workout, you've got to pace yourself, I just don't believe in all that huffing & puffing anymore, weight loss happens with diet, low carbs, get on the carbs, guess what?
    you get heavy again, like me.
    Last edited by pama42; 10/17/2007 12:51pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah! forget cutting the carbs! You know what tou need Pama?

why the Bas Rutten Workout of course! http://www.guba.com/watch/2000918173
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 12:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't open the page from where I'm at , but I assume knowing Bas Rutten it's gotta be rough, hey he's a tough guy, but a lot of those MMA guys will being paying the price in the future, just too much damage to the body and brain. Everybody's system is different, you know that I'm sure, what works for me is low carbs, NOT NO CARBS, thanks for the advice though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 12:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :sad3: I will tell you this a lot depends on weight, I am using the age excuse, but really I seen people older than me do very hard training, I would say it's more the weight, I know for sure I could train harder if I were 195lbs instead of 245lbs. I would feel light as a feather.
    I've just started this diet, I plan to stick w/ it, but hey who wants to talk about diets, its Kenpo and I really believe in it. After doing other arts, I just believe that you can use kenpo earlier in the game to defend yourself. What I'm saying is I'd like to be able to defend myself within my own lifetime, this has been my experience
    Last edited by pama42; 10/17/2007 12:57pm at .
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast