223617 Bullies, 3655 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 118 of 118
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. draygin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:43am


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Lol that's funny, because when I see Kenpo I see mullets, black gis with stupid patches, and long unrealistic drills.

    I also don't see any Judo, because Judo is defined by the training, not the techniques.

    Funny, I have trained in Kenpo for 17 years and have met no one with a mullet (Tatum is not EPAK he left as a 3rd dan and started his own ****) aside from TKD guys in Philly and the drills I have done have been boxing and grappling for the most part. Bagging on a style for wearing patches when half the grappling world wears wild colored gis with name branding all over it doesn't make sense either. If you have a problem with a person don't trash the style. Look online at Gene Labbell seminars and you will see a bunch of those black gis as Gene worked a lot with Parker students since an integral part of EPAK was judo.

    I wouldn't say we did it to the point of prep for the Olympics, but for self defense, come on, people have lives. I trained 5 hours a day when I was working full time and 15 when I was training full time. There still is not enough time to cross train enough to get ready to be in shape for top level competition in all things at all times.
  2. cuatro76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    928

    Posted On:
    12/23/2007 4:03am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by draygin
    I also don't see any Judo, because Judo is defined by the training, not the techniques.
    I disagree. The techniques and training of any martial art go hand-in-hand. I wouldn't watch a dvd on Wing-Chun and assume I know "sticky-hands" techniques enough to incorporate them into my martial arts. I wouldn't go to an Escrima seminar and think I have any proficiency in stick fighting.

    I've seen TKD, Kenpo, Karate guys come into Judo class to see what it's all about. A few of them actually stick around and appreciate the fact that they need mat time to develop good throws or newaza. But a lot of them have preconcieved notions of what Judo is, because their TKD/Kenpo/Karate instructor showed them o-goshi or seoi-nage once.

    The biggest problem with Kenpo guys, or any "comprehensive" martial arts stylists, who claim to teach Judo techniques is that they only know enough to be a danger to themselves and their students. Unless you understand and can physically perform kuzushi, tsukuri and kake for a throw, DON'T THROW. If you don't randori Judo technique on a regular basis, you will never get it right when you need it most.

    Sorry if I sound like a Judo Troll, but it's true. Especially with any of the techniques from combat sport styles. And sure, not everybody has a ton of time to train and condition for serious competition, myself included. But if you are doing a martial art, for self defense, sport, whatever, you owe it to yourself to get your ass in some sort of fighting shape because you never know.

    I don't mean to target kenpo specifically, but since kempo is under the microscope on this thread, we might as well scrutinize it for all it's worth. And I've done Kenpo under an instructor who is also a compitent Judo black belt as well. I like learning from this guy, but i hate practicing with the the majority of his other students because I get no benifit out of working with slower, less cordinated, run-of-the-mill MA hobby-ists. That's why I don't train much Kenpo anymore and have rededicated myself to Judo which is my original martial art. Ultimately I was a Judo guy who got burned out on Judo and wanted to try something different for a while.

    Enough of my rant now.
  3. draygin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:30pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    I disagree. The techniques and training of any martial art go hand-in-hand. I wouldn't watch a dvd on Wing-Chun and assume I know "sticky-hands" techniques enough to incorporate them into my martial arts. I wouldn't go to an Escrima seminar and think I have any proficiency in stick fighting.

    I've seen TKD, Kenpo, Karate guys come into Judo class to see what it's all about. A few of them actually stick around and appreciate the fact that they need mat time to develop good throws or newaza. But a lot of them have preconcieved notions of what Judo is, because their TKD/Kenpo/Karate instructor showed them o-goshi or seoi-nage once.

    The biggest problem with Kenpo guys, or any "comprehensive" martial arts stylists, who claim to teach Judo techniques is that they only know enough to be a danger to themselves and their students. Unless you understand and can physically perform kuzushi, tsukuri and kake for a throw, DON'T THROW. If you don't randori Judo technique on a regular basis, you will never get it right when you need it most.

    Sorry if I sound like a Judo Troll, but it's true. Especially with any of the techniques from combat sport styles. And sure, not everybody has a ton of time to train and condition for serious competition, myself included. But if you are doing a martial art, for self defense, sport, whatever, you owe it to yourself to get your ass in some sort of fighting shape because you never know.

    I don't mean to target kenpo specifically, but since kempo is under the microscope on this thread, we might as well scrutinize it for all it's worth. And I've done Kenpo under an instructor who is also a compitent Judo black belt as well. I like learning from this guy, but i hate practicing with the the majority of his other students because I get no benifit out of working with slower, less cordinated, run-of-the-mill MA hobby-ists. That's why I don't train much Kenpo anymore and have rededicated myself to Judo which is my original martial art. Ultimately I was a Judo guy who got burned out on Judo and wanted to try something different for a while.

    Enough of my rant now.
    That was not my quote.
  4. draygin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:36pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CUATRO 76 ,My point was that we put many hours into all forms and cross train. To prepare for competition in one sport would be taking focus away from another form of fighting. We didn't take one day out of the month to work grappling. And again, we didn't have a McDojo.
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,928

    Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:40pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    First of all there's no such thing as different styles, there is a difference on the central focal
    point, TKD, kicking, Aiki Jujitsu, joint locks, all sytems have what the other has, it's just what you focus on. Another thing is there are no techniques, just ideas that can work, it's up to you to make them work, so what I see people doing everywhere is comparing one part of the art with another part of the same art. In the end they all merge.
    Xingyi has nothing like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
    BJJ(not MMA) has nothing like boxing.
    WC has nothing like TKD.

    Etc Etc Etc.

    You are wrong.
  6. cuatro76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    928

    Posted On:
    12/24/2007 1:17am


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by draygin
    That was not my quote.
    Sorry I misquoted you. It must have been the other guy.
  7. Dirty Rooster is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    566

    Posted On:
    12/24/2007 12:18pm


     Style: Basic Self-Defence

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ticking all the boxes in my 'identify a troll' questionnaire. Stating cliches with the sole intent of rileing folks, but quite well targeted I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    ... a lot of those MMA guys will being paying the price in the future, just too much damage to the body and brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    ...I train not to get hit, the focus of martial arts should be not to get hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    ... We (I being an American) get something that has great meaning and depth and cheapen it by putting people in cages and making a spectacle out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    First of all there's no such thing as different styles, there is a difference on the central focal point, TKD, kicking, Aiki Jujitsu, joint locks, all sytems have what the other has, ...
    And the clincher;
    Quote Originally Posted by pama42
    ... A lot of people can take pain, but they would not be able to take nerve strikes, those would prove lethal. Because then you are shutting down their neurological system.
    Good trolljob Pama.
  8. draygin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169

    Posted On:
    12/24/2007 1:48pm


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Sorry I misquoted you. It must have been the other guy.
    No problemo.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.