Joey Perry's Martial Arts Academy

:israel7va

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 2:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll be moderating garbage reviews like this unless the quality is improved.

"School has an instructor by the name of Max Bishop who was trained by Gokor Chivichnya."

Great.
    So why else would the school rate 9's?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 3:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be visiting the area next year if you want me to go by.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I acutally train MMA here. I like the instruction quite a bit. Here is my review (MMA only):

Aliveness: 11 (as in "it goes to 11"). The class is actually to alive sometimes. Sparring often occurs with MMA gloves. People get hurt. It is your responsiblity to tap.

Equipment: 7. Lots of good gloves, a full size cage, good heavy bags (floor mounted...the kind that you fill with water), good pads, etc. There are no speed bags, double end bags or slip bags.

Gym Size: 9. Lots of room. Even has a cage.

Instructor/student ratio: 5. To my knowledge, the only instructor is Max. If the class is full it is hard to learn the more intricate moves. There are however, lots of high rank students who are there and they help.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 7-8: Overall the atmosphere and attitude is pretty good. However, it is a tough gym and the weak have been known to end up as sparring partners to the strong and subsequently ran off. There are some meat heads but overall the higher belted students are very nice and willing to help. Max is a great teacher and once you prove yourself, a good friend.

Striking Instruction: 8: Max has a boxing background and is versed in Muy Thai. His techniques and combos are solid. He demands as much from the feeders as the strikers when you are working the pads. I'd like to see more bag work. The drills are solid.

Grappling Instruction:11: Max's real strength is on the ground. Good instruction here. Focus on position and submission, but also spends lots of time on ground and pound.

Weapons Instruction: 0: It's an MMA class...no weapons

Overall I love the school. Class begins with a good warm-up. We'll then spend time on the ground, then standing and then cage work. The class ends with free rolling or sparring.

But, the proof is in the pudding they say. And the pudding is that his fight team dominates this area. They beat everyone. He sent Alen Belcher to the UFC and there are two others on the fight team that are looking at going pro. Max is the real deal.
    Last edited by arkanscott; 5/29/2008 8:38am at .

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 12:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input and points.

Considering that the rating system does not accept an 11, you can put a 10 if you feel so.

Look at the stickied threads at the top here:
    Combat Sports School, Gym, or Club Reviews - No BS Martial Arts

You should be able to Edit your post and update the ratings accordingly, don't forget to click the Submit box.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 3:45pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanscott
    I acutally train MMA here. I like the instruction quite a bit. Here is my review (MMA only):

Aliveness: 11 (as in "it goes to 11"). The class is actually to alive sometimes. Sparring often occurs with MMA gloves. People get hurt. It is your responsiblity to tap.

Equipment: 7. Lots of good gloves, a full size cage, good heavy bags (floor mounted...the kind that you fill with water), good pads, etc. There are no speed bags, double end bags or slip bags.

Gym Size: 9. Lots of room. Even has a cage.

Instructor/student ratio: 5. To my knowledge, the only instructor is Max. If the class is full it is hard to learn the more intricate moves. There are however, lots of high rank students who are there and they help.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 7-8: Overall the atmosphere and attitude is pretty good. However, it is a tough gym and the weak have been known to end up as sparring partners to the strong and subsequently ran off. There are some meat heads but overall the higher belted students are very nice and willing to help. Max is a great teacher and once you prove yourself, a good friend.

Striking Instruction: 8: Max has a boxing background and is versed in Muy Thai. His techniques and combos are solid. He demands as much from the feeders as the strikers when you are working the pads. I'd like to see more bag work. The drills are solid.

Grappling Instruction:11: Max's real strength is on the ground. Good instruction here. Focus on position and submission, but also spends lots of time on ground and pound.

Weapons Instruction: 0: It's an MMA class...no weapons

Overall I love the school. Class begins with a good warm-up. We'll then spend time on the ground, then standing and then cage work. The class ends with free rolling or sparring.

But, the proof is in the pudding they say. And the pudding is that his fight team dominates this area. They beat everyone. He sent Alen Belcher to the UFC and there are two others on the fight team that are looking at going pro. Max is the real deal.
    Well if he's training professionals that's one thing. You need to look at the rating system again. If it's a MMA school then there's no way for it to be a 10. It doesn't get into certain ranges. You need to be fair with this system. Lower numbers doesn't mean crappy school.

*edit I do appreciate your frankness when it comes to attitude and atmosphere.
    Last edited by Omega; 5/28/2008 3:48pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Well if he's training professionals that's one thing. You need to look at the rating system again. If it's a MMA school then there's no way for it to be a 10. It doesn't get into certain ranges. You need to be fair with this system. Lower numbers doesn't mean crappy school.

*edit I do appreciate your frankness when it comes to attitude and atmosphere.
    He doen't train pro's right now, rahter top ranked amatures who go on to the pros. I think the quality of teaching is high enough to warrent them staying, but I don't think there is, at any one time, enough high quality training partners. That is why Belcher left anyway (per his website). The school itself offers more than MMA, but that is all I train, so I don't feel comfortable rating the others. Anyway, I tried to adjust, but it didn't change.

About the attitude and atmosphere, I want to clear up something. I didn't mean to say that the meat gets thrown to the wolves. Rather, when you show up, expect to fight. You'll often get thrown in against stronger competition. Sometimes the people you spar are cool. Sometimes they aren't. I think the reason he does this (hard sparring against better opposition) is two fold 1) to see what you are made of (i.e. it takes iron to make iron) and 2) the more advanced students have more control and are actually less likely to hurt you than the new students. As a new guy it is sometimes jarring to square off against someone who is on the fight team and undefeated. Sometimes the aforementioned new guy gets ran off, sometimes he stays.

On another note, what in God's name would lead you to Jonesboro, Arkansas?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2008 4:33pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Max and I have been to his school several times. Max is a great coach and I would be willing to say that Joey Perry is one of the best at XMA, or as Max refers to it as,"PowerRanger Karate". As far as a all around Martial Arts school. This would be one of the top ones in the Mid-South.