Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:51pm

Style: BJJ and Jits with Hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength Training and Mass Building...

I have always been a small guy, approx 5'4" and 130lbs... I have been trying to gain some weight recently to get up to about 140lbs. Typically, when I do strength training, I follow Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity Program. Now that I have been trying to build I have switched to a 3 day split

Day 1) Squat and Deadlift + some additional exercises that I rotate.
    Day 2) Pull ups, Pull downs, Rows, Curls, Etc. working back and arms
    Day 3) 30% Incline Bench Press plus general exercises that I rotate.

I start this cycle at 55% of 1RM and go up 5% for 10 weeks up to 95% and then break for a week and do my max followed by another rest week... a total of 12 weeks.

Would it be intelligent to run through my modified version of Infinite Intensity for a 30 workout cycle after finishing the 12 week cycle outlined above, or should I repeat the 12 week cycle with a higher 1RM goal? I want to get to about 140 and stop gaining and maintain that weight.

I do not have a ton of lifting experience and any advice or commentary would be greatly appreciated.

~Zach
    Last edited by gi or not to gi; 10/11/2007 10:54pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gaining mass is going to be about how much you eat dude. Routine does play a factor, but really, you've missed the forest for the trees.

It sounds like you're following some linear periodization, which can be effective. I don't really know what the infinite intensity routine is, but traditionally, you'd start the program all over again with a new 1rm goal in mind to keep progressing. If you do so, and eat big, you'll be sure to get big.

However, the look of your routine is kind of unbalanced, in that you're doing a lot of pulling but not much upper body pushing. Good rule of thumb is for every vertical pull, do a vert. push, and for every horizontal pull, do a horizontal push. Right off the bat, I'd throw out pulldowns, as they're redundant with pull-ups, but you can structure it as you see fit.

Good luck.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:34pm

Style: BJJ and Jits with Hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will combine the back day with the bench day and eliminate a few of the exercises to balance out the push-pull. As of right now I am still figuring out what works best for me.

Infinite Intensity is supposed to be a little more sport specific, but I'm not really at the weightlifting level where that will really make to much of a difference. Once I hit my target weight I will probably move a back into it.

As of now, with the combined back/chest day and the dead/squat day. I will probably add a day of muscular endurance/conditioning.