T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PasleyPMT
    He's a stupid ass that just happens to be black, and for all you know I could be black. Racism? You should get banned for being a dumbass.
    how is he stupid ass? he plays up a character that happens to be very marketable. On top of that, he's nowhere near the biggest ass in the sport. Most guys in the sport actually seem to like him quite a bit.

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:20pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to #3: MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in America, but it is being heralded under the title "Ultimate Fighting" much to my personal disappointment.

In regards to #2: I do believe Pride fans are more educated about the sport, but it's important to note that the polite atmosphere attributed to Pride had less to do with the organization as it did Japanese culture.

In regards to #4: I don't find Quinton Jackson unintelligent. He knows how to negotiate a contract and he also knows how to sell tickets. It's actually an incredibly intelligent move on his part to embrace the "wise-ass street thug" image as it's a draw in the United States. Male protagonists often look like idiots on sitcoms, but they're the ones raking in the dough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2007 9:33pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    In regards to #4: I don't find Quinton Jackson unintelligent. He knows how to negotiate a contract and he also knows how to sell tickets. It's actually an incredibly intelligent move on his part to embrace the "wise-ass street thug" image as it's a draw in the United States. Male protagonists often look like idiots on sitcoms, but they're the ones raking in the dough.
    You and Wolf do make good points, but I still believe in what I said. He might not be the stupidest person in the world, but the point I was trying to make was that the majority of people would see him as a howling buffoon.

People might see one fight that Rampage commented on or see one of his interviews and immediately think, "Damn, is that what MMA fighters are like?"

To me, from what I've seen from countless interviews, post-fight "talk throughs", and TV specials, he's pretty dense.

Plus, I didn't start a post about Rampage. I started a post about my stupid opinions.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PasleyPMT
    You and Wolf do make good points, but I still believe in what I said. He might not be the stupidest person in the world, but the point I was trying to make was that the majority of people would see him as a howling buffoon.

People might see one fight that Rampage commented on or see one of his interviews and immediately think, "Damn, is that what MMA fighters are like?"

To me, from what I've seen from countless interviews, post-fight "talk throughs", and TV specials, he's pretty dense.

Plus, I didn't start a post about Rampage. I started a post about my stupid opinions.
    He seems to have been smart enough to negotiate a contract that spited Randy Couture enough to leave the UFC. Takes quite a bit of brain matter to do that in my opinion.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And why does everyone complain about the fans at UFC events? People at football and baseball events yell, sing, make rude gestures, and paint themselves the colors of their favorite teams. but you don't see people on sports forums bitching that "the goddamn ignorant fans are ruining the sport."

ps I HAS JOO-JITSUUU!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:29am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    And why does everyone complain about the fans at UFC events? People at football and baseball events yell, sing, make rude gestures, and paint themselves the colors of their favorite teams. but you don't see people on sports forums bitching that "the goddamn ignorant fans are ruining the sport."

ps I HAS JOO-JITSUUU!
    I find it much more difficult to get angry at a rude gesture thrown in the direction of an outfielder waiting on a fly ball then an insult hurled at two men fighting in a ring...unless the insults are directed at Tim Sylvia. Really though, at least IMHO, it's one thing to voice your displeasure at a boring baseball game, another thing entirely to boo because there's a tactical fight taking place on the mat, or because no one had gotten knocked out that night, or becuase one fighter that used to go full on for a knockout now implements things like foot movement and a jab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 12:33am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so maybe a little more class in MMA competitions might be a good thing, but otherwise, MMA has done a lot of good for MA overall. It has brought to light two deficiencies that were becoming common in TMA: 1, not training all ranges of H2H combat, and 2, not training with contact.

And yes, you're going to have people screaming at any sporting event you go to. I about had a heart attack over GB's loss to Chicago last week, and another one when Dallas didn't have the good graces to lose to Buffalo and stay tied with GB for NFC standings. A good sport is exciting and draws you into it. You have a favorite team or fighter, you're going to get emotional about the sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 1:14am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rampage doesn't seem to be that smart of a guy, but he doesn't seem like an idiot either. Straight up, i think alot of people give him less latitude with acting silly cause he's black. The heavy country grammar ebonics, the chain, the swagger, I'm sure some white folks see past that **** to who he really is (or better yet, don't give a **** this way or that), but the more insecure ones probably feel threatened on some level.

It's whatever, I appreciate his realness and the fact that he seems like a decent guy. He's got more character than a hell of alot of fighters in the game. He's a hard worker, has made good decisions and clearly has some integrity (remember giving up the trophy?).

To me, he's a hell of alot closer to a Forrest Griffin/Bas Rutten than a Tank Abott.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 1:16am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what ticks people off re MMA and fans is that it's totally different from how sport teams operate. You boo the team you hate, you cheer when your side scores, you boo when the ref makes a bad call, (or one that goes against your team, even if it was a good call). Most people understand the basics of football, basketball, and baseball. In fact, who can't understand baseball? Same goes with golf, racing, or other solo sports.

In MMA, the fans can know absolutely nothing. They then boo not the fighter they don't like, but both fighters. That would be like fans booing in a football game or a soccer game because no one had scored in the first half. Some fights are boring, but when a lot of action is going on in the ring and fans start booing, it just sounds ignorant considering guys are barely getting paid anything most of the time for the fights. They are there to entertain them and they're booing them, ungrateful asshats.

OTOH, MMA organizations big and small promote the "bloodsport" mentality. Take the local event where I'm at. The name of the event is called "Punishment at the PMAC". The organizations hosting it are "Beat 2 Sleep" and "Gladiators Academy". (Gladiator's is a nice place, but the image of Gladiators is well, bloodsport at its most real). The hyper-machoism of the sport sells, you can tell this in how fighters are encouraged to trash talk, put on shows, and act in this manner. I liked Pride better because you saw less of that, Pride was more gaudy with those awful trilled tongue ring announcements, the super-funky outfits and stage entrances, and the huge ceremonies with flowers and awards.

In summary, UFC is for latent homosexual men to get their aggression out and feel manly, PRIDE is for men with PRIDE in their homosexuality who want to wear tiger shorts to the ring and flaunt it. Wonder what that makes IFL?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2007 1:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by h_sh_m

To me, he's a hell of alot closer to a Forrest Griffin/Bas Rutten than a Tank Abott.
    Why is it that whenever anyone starts talking about "Things That Are Bad in MMA" David Abbot is usually the first one mentioned? I never got that. It's not like he blatantly cheated in his matches a la Gerard Gordeu, or was blatantly disrespectful to his opponents like Ortiz, Bisping, Diaz, etc, etc. And his brutal beat downs weren't any worse than those perpetuated by Cro Cop, Wanderlei, or Butterbean.
    I personally always thought he was a fun guy to watch, always brought some pizaz to a card, since he was either going to give or receive a brutal KO (or get caught in a slick submission).

WAR TANK! BEAT KIMBO!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast