Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stupid Question # 98098420394810239

Heh,

Hi I'm new and I have a quesiton!

Well 2 actually.

1. I can't find the search function. Where is it!?.... if I did I probably wouldn't be posting question #2 here. Forgive my blind eyes if it's in plain sight.

2. Ok you all probably heard this before but I'm new and I can't find the search function so here it is:

I'm having a discussion on another forum about what is the best self-defense martial art. I seriously don't know but I do know that it's not Ninjitsu. I don't take self-defense or mma or any other kind of martial art. I'm just a fan and well my bf got me into watching UFC etc. So what advice could I give to a person who's 6' 270 lbs and wants to learn self defense (defend himself and family from baddies when attacked on the street) and get some excercise thrown in.

Now people at the forums (which are purportedly skeptical in nature) seem to think that Krav Maga is the deadliest form of martial art. I don't know much about it or how effective it is but 1. I've never even heard of it before this 2. I'm not sure it's a self-defense art but more how to kill people 3. I don't even know how effective it is. Also other people suggested that he study Ninjitsu. Now I know it doesn't work in UFC cuz... well UFC 2 has got to be one of the funniest matches ever. But when I said that most people jumped on me saying that UFC is only about doing holds and submitting people and it would be pretty ineffective against 3 opponents (street fighting). UFC fighters train within certain rules and they will be mentally incapable of breaking these rules and fighting dirty. I was sketpical of that claim and that's why I came to Bullshido. So can anyone help me (I mean I could be wrong... I won't mind admitting it if you guys can show me the light) and resolve this :) Much appreciate it.

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums LaPalida... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    sport Aikido & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 - search function should be on the bar to the top right of any bullshido page you look at.

#2 - self-defense arts tend to be quite different from combat sports (which is what bullshido is about for the most part). Self-defense arts are generally more along the lines of Krav Maga and the stuff often lumped together under the label 'reality based self-defense' and generally have poor reputations around here. Compared to combat sports, RBSD tends to focus on first keeping aware of your environment and fighting stuff comes second, where as in combat sports the fighting stuff comes first (seeing as they are done in some type of prescribed location).

hmm for getting in shape.... well I'm no expert on RBSD programs by any means, but they generally have a poor reputation for general fitness around here. If you're doing Judo, kickboxing, or what ever you'll usually spend part of each class conditioning your body to be better at the sport aspect of it (i.e., in my Aikido club we do a *whole lot* of pushups to fatigue the upper body thus encouraging proper Aikido technique). RBSD people tend to not do this.... maybe because its hard work, maybe they are lazy, or maybe not having a sport competitions to drive them gives them no motivation to work out. I don't know, but they generally have a bad reputation for fitness.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome thanks for the "heads up" hehe.

Style
    undecided
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you definitely don't want to do rbsd. Thats a waste of money. Lets face it, the better shape your in the less people will want to "tango" with you. I personally would recommend a mma club or maybe a Combat Sambo club but no matter where you go ,make sure you actually get an opportunity to actually do hard sparring and physical condition (these are two pillars to being able to protect yourself). Training in drills with compliant partners in prearranged situations is the worst way to learn self defense. Techniques should be taught and practiced to perfection but will only be useful for self defense if used in some sort of sparring with a non compliant opponent who is doing all he can to stop you.
    so to recap:

#1 The chances of something happening exactly like in a prearranged scenario are rare.
    #2 Attackers are not compliant and will want to actually hurt you.
    #3 Train in conditioning.
    #4 While sparring against a non compliant opponent you can find out what really works.
    #5 Make sure that whatever you choose, you enjoy doing it cause that will keep you coming back and will allow you to get the most out of it.
    #6 If something sounds to good to be true it usually is, (there is allot of bullshido out there)

*aside (Ill let yu in on a great self defense technique its called the "run")
    Last edited by lant3rn; 10/20/2007 3:43pm at .

Style
    Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with the whole "style vs style" argument is that styles don't get into fights with each other, people do. For the most part, style is irrelevent. Say if you're a black belt in bjj, or krav maga, or whatever and get into a fight with someone who does tai chi. If that tai chi guy's been getting into bar brawls and street fights for 20 years, and the closest you've come to actual combat is when your partner put a lock on you a little too tight, you're about to get your butt handed to you. Who wins or loses comes down to real world experience and personal ability (let's face it, some people suck at fighting no matter what their belt is), style plays a small role after that