Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last
  1. #1
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,232
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?

    So this seems to happen again and again. Black Belt in Japanese Jujutsu or some other TMA purchases a known BJJ Branded Gi but with their Black Belt in their other art. I am not referring to the Black Belt with the Red Bar synonymous with BJJ ranking but a standard Black Belt. Are they being disingenuous with what they representing?

    On 1 side, BJJ Gis are cut a lot more comfortably than Judo Gis, they are often Lighter and have a Slimmer Fit. On the other hand, these Brand Logos are known for BJJ attire. Additionally, when a Japanese Jujutsu Instructor wears a Judo Gi, no one is claiming they are trying to pass as a Judo instructor.

    Now does this change, if they teach Ground Fighting/Ne Waza?

    I am curious as this happening again:

    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/anothe...-belt-exposed/
    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/bjj-in...kes-statement/
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...others:2562178

    I know this is odd for me, because I have a Nidan in Japanese Jujutsu, but I don't feel I can represent it any more. While I still have the belt, my old Judo Gi from 6 years ago doesn't really fit anymore (too big) so the only Gis I have are BJJ Gis. Therefore, even if I am asked to teach a Japanese Jujutsu Class, I tend to wear my BJJ Purple Belt as not to misrepresent myself.
    Last edited by plasma; 5/25/2016 11:07am at .

  2. #2
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,982
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, what? A blue belt dojo stormed and called out a JJ blackbelt because he was wearing a BJJ gi?

    One of this days someone is going to get hurt.

    Anyway, to the question "Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?" my answer is "no, not at all".

  3. #3
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    9,565
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it can muddy the waters for sure.
    However I would certainly say by itself it doesn't imply anything.
    I am more concerned with the the Black Belt with a Rank Bar while teaching "JJ" or even worse "BJJ"
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,068
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that some people put way too much status into what pajamas people wear. I really don't see how choosing a gi in any way misleads anyone. Unless if the person is either claiming to be something they're not or if the gi specifically is marked with BJJ on it, I don't think it could be considered misleading. Jesus even aikido masters don't argue this much over their pajamas.

  5. #5
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    2,832
    Style
    BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the obvious differences in gi/kimono construction, I think the most important thing is for an instructor to be up-front about his/her credentials to his/her students and prospective students; that honesty will transcend most witch hunts, I think. But, for ongoing concerns, it would be best to dress in the garb specific to the art being taught/practiced.

    For example, my instructor at a previous school was a moderately high-ranking black belt in that system, but at the time only a blue belt (under the Valente bros, iirc). He and his superiors were bringing BJJ to the curriculum to round out the fighting ranges, but he was honest about teaching BJJ principles as part of the system, not as standalone BJJ. He always wore his "regular" karategi, and his black belt, but because he was up-front about his credentials, we were never disillusioned that we were learning BJJ from a BJJ master.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    2,924
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think it can muddy the waters for sure.
    However I would certainly say by itself it doesn't imply anything.
    I am more concerned with the the Black Belt with a Rank Bar while teaching "JJ" or even worse "BJJ"
    Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
    Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

    Everyone else can **** off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    2,924
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Wait, what? A blue belt dojo stormed and called out a JJ blackbelt because he was wearing a BJJ gi?

    One of this days someone is going to get hurt.

    Anyway, to the question "Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?" my answer is "no, not at all".
    It's also said bjj on the side of the building. It was pretty clear fuckery. They where definitely attempting a bait and switch even if they weren't actively lying.

  8. #8
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,982
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    It's also said bjj on the side of the building.
    Well, that's different.

  9. #9
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    2,832
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
    Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

    Everyone else can **** off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.
    BJJ is not the only art to use stripes for ranking. True, the rank bar is sort of a staple of BJJ, but I think it's more about aesthetics (hard to put white stripes on a white belt) than actual representation of BJJ. I hold a blue belt (kenpo-style ranking) in my previous art, we didn't use rank bars, but we did use stripes with different colored tape to ensure the contrast. I see the rank bar as just a means of ensuring contrast from the base belt.

    And, yes, BJJ was part of the marketing/logos, but as I said, before, the instructors were forthcoming about how they ranked in BJJ, and how BJJ fit into the system they were teaching. In cases like that, I don't have a problem. It's more important for the student/consumer to know what questions to ask, or how to ask them; everything else is a holy war for internet combatants.

  10. #10
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    10,950
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma View Post
    So this seems to happen again and again. Black Belt in Japanese Jujutsu or some other TMA purchases a known BJJ Branded Gi but with their Black Belt in their other art. I am not referring to the Black Belt with the Red Bar synonymous with BJJ ranking but a standard Black Belt. Are they being disingenuous with what they representing?

    On 1 side, BJJ Gis are cut a lot more comfortably than Judo Gis, they are often Lighter and have a Slimmer Fit. On the other hand, these Brand Logos are known for BJJ attire. Additionally, when a Japanese Jujutsu Instructor wears a Judo Gi, no one is claiming they are trying to pass as a Judo instructor.

    Now does this change, if they teach Ground Fighting/Ne Waza?

    I am curious as this happening again:

    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/anothe...-belt-exposed/
    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/bjj-in...kes-statement/
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...others:2562178

    I know this is odd for me, because I have a Nidan in Japanese Jujutsu, but I don't feel I can represent it any more. While I see have the belt, my old Judo Gi from 6 years ago doesn't really fit anymore (too big) so the only Gis I have are BJJ Gis. Therefore, even if I am asked to teach a Japanese Jujutsu Class, I tend to wear my BJJ Purple Belt as not to misrepresent myself.
    Wear the belt you earned in the subject you are teaching. Wear the belt you earned in the subject you earned it in when you are training the subject in which you earned the belt.

    I wear a white belt when I am at BJJ class. I wear a black belt when I am doing judo. If a BJJ instructor asked me to teach Judo at a BJJ class as a guest, I'd wear my judo black belt, assuming that I would be announced as a judo black belt who will be teaching Judo, however similar it might be to BJJ.

    I don't doubt the guy in the "belt exposed" story was trying to "cash in" on associating himself with BJJ by wearing a BJJ branded uniform. That's par for the course. The bjj blue belt storming his dojo is an asshole IMO in any case. He's trespassing, has no authority to question anything the guy does, what he wears, what he claims to teach directly or indirectly by association with a uniform.

    There is no NGB for BJJ, no real regulation, no controlling authority for rank. It's essentially a for-profit free for all.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO