Octopussy!

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pop goes your lung

Right, so I'm up in this class trying to get my learn on so I don't become completely fucking useless, but I'm falling asleep because motherfuckers are boring and ****. Suddenly I hear the high level medical student/emergency medicine technician who is giving the lecture say something that hit me like a spinning baseball bat to the skull. Somewhere in between discussing decompressing a tension pneumothorax and collision physics I hear:

"You see, there's actually a martial arts move where you can wait until someone takes a breath in and then hit them with a blow. The effect will be similar to inflating a balloon and then hitting it. One they're hit, the lung will blow out and they'll be able to do nothing except pray for someone to take them to the hospital".

I stood slack jawed in disbelief for a few milliseconds before standing up and uttering "Excuse me sir, but what the ****?".

Well, of course I didn't fucking do that, but WTF bells were going off all over the place.

Then I pondered it, and realized that in a few months this dude was going to be a bona fide Doctor with a degree and ****, with substancial understanding of anatomy/physiology/kinematics, so I figure the idea might not be 100% riddic.

So I'm asking, is it possible that someone can have their lung go "Pop Pop" from getting punched in the chest? Has anyone ever heard of or seen this happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm asking, is it possible that someone can have their lung go "Pop Pop" from getting punched in the chest? Has anyone ever heard of or seen this happen?
    What, you mean like a punctured lung?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:37pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask him if he knows what ribs are.

The worst that could happen is that a really hard punch may break a rib which might puncture the lung, but even when that happens you dont POP like Pringles.

However i heard a rumour, if you punch a person a bit above the solar, right in the heart, while the heart is contracting or expanding, it makes their head go

Is that true ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:50pm

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HT Yes, sort of. If there is significant impact to the heart at a very significant moment, i believe it is a moment during the t wave, you can cause cardiac arrest. It is very rare but it has happened. The most prominent case was a a few years ago when a little leaguer got hit in the chest with a pitch and died instantly, but that **** is soooo rare. As for heads exploding....sorry, wish it were true b/c then i would be in my basement studying teh deadly pitch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kinda just sounds like he was talking about knocking the wind out of somebody... but that's hardly special.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 8:52pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just sounds like a winding.

But I'm not a physio...
    Last edited by JingMerchant!; 2/22/2009 9:26pm at . Reason: Placed what I originally posted in the correct thread.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 9:45pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, after some hunting around, it looks like it is possible but very rare and only moderately nasty. Apparently punctures due to broken ribs are much more common. So I definetely wouldn't buy the "ancient martial arts move" part.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...2&blobtype=pdf

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, ex-SanDa,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989 View Post
    HT Yes, sort of. If there is significant impact to the heart at a very significant moment, i believe it is a moment during the t wave, you can cause cardiac arrest. It is very rare but it has happened. The most prominent case was a a few years ago when a little leaguer got hit in the chest with a pitch and died instantly, but that **** is soooo rare. As for heads exploding....sorry, wish it were true b/c then i would be in my basement studying teh deadly pitch.
    I believe that this is known as commotio cordis

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 9:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
    I believe that this is known as commotio cordis
    This happened to a young guy at a karate point sparring tournament I competed in when I was a teenager. Poor guy took a punch to the chest, fell down, and died shortly thereafter.

It was fairly traumatic, with his mother freaking out and his opponent (also a classmate of his) sobbing over in the corner.

http://www.blackbeltblog.net/blogrep...akfprogram.pdf

Page 21, William Arthur Battin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/22/2009 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your mouth/nose cemented shut or something? What's keeping the air from exiting?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast