Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
    Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MCMAP: does it suck?

I just watched this video:

I am not impressed. Yes, it looks physically challenging, but the actual grappling looks dire. Am I insane, or is this as shitty as I think it is?

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, they're handicapped by wearing heavy combat boots and utility harnesses and these sparring matches probably take place in the midst of days of extremely grueling endurance exercises; no-one is going to look their best under those circumstances.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/13/2016 2:56am at .

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I just watched this video:

I am not impressed. Yes, it looks physically challenging, but the actual grappling looks dire. Am I insane, or is this as shitty as I think it is?
    Yes but to be fair all military combatives do, the SEAL thread kicking about at the moment explains in a bit more detail.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    To be fair, they're handicapped by wearing heavy combat boots and utility harnesses and these sparring matches probably take place in the midst of days of extremely grueling endurance exercises; no-one is going to look their best under those circumstances.
    Yeah, but even the technique choices seem suspect. And these people are supposedly qualifying as instructors. It's like the only sub they know is the armbar, which makes no sense because you have to sacrifice position to go for it. So many missed triangle chokes.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd want more context - for all I know, the object of those sparring matches was specifically to secure a non-choke sub, maybe as a skill isolation exercise - but also note that the thick collarbone straps on their harnesses might interfere with collar chokes, etc.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/yi.pdf

Today, MCMAP’s overarching purpose is to mold
    and strengthen the USMC collective identity, social
    structure, and culture.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The technique is rudimentary. And this is an instructor course. These are the guys who will be teaching MCMAP to guys who get way less training than this and probably only pieces of this.

People need to stop looking to the military for quality martial arts. It exists there in pockets. It does not exist there institutionally. This is true for every branch of the US military and every military on the planet.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get it and I know that military H2H is typically rudimentary stuff - just trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt based on one video clip.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Civilians, strangely are way more concerned about the quality of military martial arts training than the people who actually need to kill an enemy who is trying to kill them.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Yeah, but even the technique choices seem suspect. And these people are supposedly qualifying as instructors. It's like the only sub they know is the armbar, which makes no sense because you have to sacrifice position to go for it. So many missed triangle chokes.
    Missed triangle chokes is all...? The last thing I'm going to try in a fight for my life is a triangle choke.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last