Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    11/02/2003 3:44am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note, I commend Tim Larkin on actually going out and testing out his methadology, much less admitting to less than flattering results of those tests. That's more than most people teaching firearm disarms do.
    You say what about my rice?

Posted On:
    11/02/2003 3:50pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me training is all about testing. I usually will have us both practice the move several times and after that have the attacker go full force and speed. When I am the attacker I want to see if it works and I dont want to go easy on the fighter (defender) and when roles are switched I expect the same from him. If it doesnt work well with both of us then I figure its probably to risky to try on the street and discard it. The only exception is if we just totally are doing it wrong and we figure it out then I will give it another try.

After 30+ years in the combat arts I am tired of being taught techniques that require tons of practice to make work. I expect that if I ever have to use this stuff for real I will probably be surprised and and in a disadvantaged position and therefore the KISS rule is king. I also train fully expecting I will be hit and perhaps stabbed, cut or shot. Obviously I dont want any of these to occur, but it isnt a perfect world and the key is dont stop untill either you or your opponent is unconscious or dead. As the saying goes there isnt any room for second place on the street.

I am impressed myself with Tim Larkins work and study his TFT material along with the SCARS material. I am looking into a local school here that says they teach KRAV MAGA and if it looks good will try it out. I think almost everyone has something to learn from and plan on continuing to learn up untill they putting my body into the ground.

Posted On:
    11/02/2003 4:35pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapko I forgot to answer your question regarding "equations"
    etc. The best I can say is that I always try to think in terms of what principles are we using with a technique more than the technique per see. For me keeping the principles in mind helps me plot a course of action and apply the technique in the correct fashion. I am just not a mathematician at heart and dont think in the same manner. Different SCARS practioners have different ways of expressing themselves and believe this maybe is what Kungfools (sorry Kungfools if I am speaking incorrectly here) is saying here. There probably is a tendency for us in these systems to speak this way, perhaps it is due to the fact that we are taught the brain is our primary weapon system and we try to understand and analyze what is happening with the technques. Other arts do it too of course in their own way or they wouldnt be able to improve their skill sets.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 11:51am

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great explanation Rigante. I only use SCARS for disarms and some of the Compression so bear in mind that these are the only aspects that I'm defending it from. Kungfool was speaking from the perspective of an instructor who is in the developmental stages of the technique. No one would ever think in that manner during the chaos and mayhem of real time hand to hand combat.

In fact, I personally disagree with the hand to hand/weapon training aspects of any system that uses autonomic/autostatic/autokinematic reactions. However, I definitely agree with the sciences behind them in case you're wondering why I'm still able to utilize certain aspects.

Sincerely,

Ken

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "For me training is all about testing. I usually will have us both practice the move several times and after that have the attacker go full force and speed. When I am the attacker I want to see if it works and I dont want to go easy on the fighter (defender) and when roles are switched I expect the same from him. If it doesnt work well with both of us then I figure its probably to risky to try on the street and discard it. The only exception is if we just totally are doing it wrong and we figure it out then I will give it another try. "

Sounds pretty ALIVE to me...

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the end, the bread and butter on ANY system is "does it work all the time" ?
    And that goes for a technique, any technique.
    The limited time we have to train does not allow us the luxury to know 100 techniques and to master none.
    We need to perfect the techniques and principles that work best for us.
    Whatever they are and wherever they come from.
    I don't care if its from my SCARS training, from my TJJ background, from my kenjutsu, from my Goju, as long as it works, for me, all the time and against ANYONE, regardless of their size.
    That is an effective technique/principle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2003 10:16pm

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're training to fight other sport fighters or people that use predictable patterns in a fight, the technique philosophy works pretty well. If your hand to hand training is to take you to the highest level, which would be against well trained military men and psychotic attackers, each solution to an attack will have to be unique as your fingerprints. If your training method is spontaneous and nonintellectual, it'll be difficult to recreate the process of how you crushed someone's throat with a palm heel. I'm not a fan of technique at all unless its against a relatively static attacker such as someone attempting to control you at gunpoint.

Sincerely,

Ken

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the expert on san soo is david carter from whittier california. he will tell you that most of the san soo guys can't fight.

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: san soo Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you are true with that statement about most not being able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

From what I have been told and briefly saw is the Peterson stripped down san soo to a basic to the point system. San Soo will always have that and more. Just my opinion. You can take techniques out of many to make something. That is how Judo and BJJ was born out Jui Juitsu.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 1:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is the worst case of thread necro that I've ever seen.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast