Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 5:44pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin I have seen some advertised but am hoping a person who is an experienced san soo practioner might help me to separate the wheat from the chaff..

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The older Dave Hopkins and Bill Vigil videos are pretty good. I'd recommend the dynamic takedowns tape if you want to just get one. They are pretty cheap, especially when you compare them to scars videos. They have a lot of silly rock music, but once you get past that, it's good stuff.

Here is the link to Dave's website

Dave is a real progressive in SS, and a lot of the old timers don't like him because he does bjj (and teaches it in his school in separate bjj classes). However, his videos are the best on the market. (but get the older ones, they are better than the newer ones)

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks I will check it out. Take care

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 10:50pm

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello people. I'm probably qualified enough to give some information on this. In the past I trained quite extensively in SCARS and have watched Dave Hopkin's tape series many times.

There are differences, no doubt. Are there enough to call them something different? Well, I'll let you decide. Well, first thing. In SCARS and San Soo, they both primarily do drills where a mock attacker throws a punch and the San Soo or SCARS fighter sets up a series of flowing strikes based on the so called autonomic responses of the human body. The drill is for the most part, "cooperative" because it is as they say, "too dangerous to do for real". The SCARS fighter would strike the arm coming towards him, in effect, hard enough to take the attacker off balance. The San Soo fighter would pretty much do the same motion but without as much follow through, thus justifying it being moreso of a block. The key difference is that the San Soo fighter would cover with the non blocking arm in case the attacker decided to strike with his other arm. Of course I'm generalizing because all of the lessons don't involve arm strikes.

SCARS seems to take the same information you find in San Soo and put it in a nontraditional and scientific light. There are no katas, belt system or ancient weapon training. Again, does this make it different? I'll let you decide. From what I saw, many of the lessons are nearly identical. There were times when San Soo gave a better explanation but then there were times when SCARS seemed to do a better job. However, I'd be remiss to not mention this. SCARS has gun disarms and anti grappling material with some really great scientific explanations that seem to be exclusive to them. San Soo Masters, as indicated by Dave Hopkins seem to seek this type of training from outside sources. Again, you be the judge as to whether they are the same thing, but I just gave you some hard facts..Good luck.

Sincerely,

Ken

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 11:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings Perfection welcome to the mayhem. Have you trained in Phoenix by chance or with Tim Larkin. I havent been back to Phoenix in a while but am planning on going there and getting my ass kicked in January

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2003 2:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome. I trained in 2000 with Blake and Jerry. I have never trained with Tim. I am aware of his training tactics however.

Sincerely,

Ken

Posted On:
    10/28/2003 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did level 1 if I remember properly in 1999 and level 2 in 2000 but I would have to look back at certificate dates to be sure I also did the counter carjacking course. Maybe we pounded on each other and dont know it! Ronin is another guy here who did some SCARS training with the Peterson's but I dont know what year. Otherwise we are very small crowd here at Bullshido.

Posted On:
    10/28/2003 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did it in 2002

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2003 5:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, I no longer train exclusively in the SCARS system. However, I'm knowledgeable and still maintain a level of respect for it. For all practical purposes you can consider me part of the small crowd. I attended a Level 1 camp in July of 2000. If you don't mind, could you tell me about the counter car jacking course?

Sincerely,

Ken

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken

It was very heavy into firearm disarment technqiue. Much heavier than what was in level 1 or level 2. Of course we did a lot of combat in and around cars. It actually went some into counter kidnapping procedures and techniques as well. We learned some basic escape and evasion driving technques.

We did a lot of live fire disarms (revolvers loaded with light charges and soft bullets which really racked up the intensity of the disarming training.

It actually was one of my favorite seminars however we did get banged up a bit as we often got thrown into the sides orf cars when it was our turn to be the attackers roles.

Hope this helps
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast