Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 7:53pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Mainly because I'm a terrible, terrible person, and I'm trying to single handedly ruin this site with my promotion of its goals to newbs everywhere.

But a lot of people think they have the real thing, as you may or may not have noticed, and I, being the nosey idiot I am, try to tell them (and of course prove to them, too) that they're really not as good as they think. Also the promotion of this site helps to give me better sparring partners, thus better practice and skill level. If they don't like it, then they are obviously fucked, as far as I am concerned. I see this site, in my naive little way, as a beacon of hope amongst so many failure TMAs which I am still battling against (again, naively). One day I'll grow up and realize that there's nothing I can do, but until then, I'm going to continually patrol like an idiot and try to help people who think that they're getting d34dly sk1llZ at the McDojo.

I do realize that many people are happy being the sucker that was born in that one minute, but I hope to try and cure the cancer before it gets to them. I'm an idiot, and an idealist. I'm sorry, but I'll grow up soon, I'm sure.

here's an idea:

if they ask, tell them if not, the shut your fucking mouth.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:05pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shutting your mouth is the antithesis of the site and is basically what allows the cancer that's been killing the martial arts to continue to spread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:08pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    here's an idea:

Thank you. Don't piss in your own cornflakes again.

I have a problem with people who think they're awesome. Especially when they're constantly getting beat by most of the people they spar against. I show them a resource to get better. I generally talk to them about exercise supplementing their art, etc. I want people to know that they suck, and I want to get them to see how not to suck.

So yes, this is a case of them opening their mouth first.

This isn't your private club. It's an internet resource. Please don't treat this like it's going to adhere to rules 1 and 2 or anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:18pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, in general people don't want to be preached to. In pretty much every regard of life I've found that the more you try to push a point on someone the more they're going to resist you and argue for their own side regardless of who is right.

Maybe its the Aikido seeping in, but I've found it very effective to yield a little to people and then lead them my way. For example, a few weeks ago I was talking to a Karate guy and he went off showing me some horse stance BS with some really wack forearm blocks for punches that left him waaaay off balance & both his head and chest open. I almost died laughing, but choked it and said "Hey, I know nothing about Karate and that is neat. Here is how we block on Muay Thai so we keep our body closed off to other attacks at the same time"

I could have lambasted him on how bad the blocks were and how using a horse stance will just get ya kicked in the knee, but would that do anything except make me feel smarter? He certainly wouldn't say "damn you're right! I've been learning garbage the last 4 years!" and would be closed off to further discussion.

So when you meet a LARPer in bad need of rescue don't flat out bash them. Instead try saying "hey thats neat, I do martial arts too. Checkout the bullshido.net sometime - it has a lot of info about other arts" and let them find out themself why their art sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:50pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    Well, in general people don't want to be preached to. In pretty much every regard of life I've found that the more you try to push a point on someone the more they're going to resist you and argue for their own side regardless of who is right.

Maybe its the Aikido seeping in, but I've found it very effective to yield a little to people and then lead them my way. For example, a few weeks ago I was talking to a Karate guy and he went off showing me some horse stance BS with some really wack forearm blocks for punches that left him waaaay off balance & both his head and chest open. I almost died laughing, but choked it and said "Hey, I know nothing about Karate and that is neat. Here is how we block on Muay Thai so we keep our body closed off to other attacks at the same time"

I could have lambasted him on how bad the blocks were and how using a horse stance will just get ya kicked in the knee, but would that do anything except make me feel smarter? He certainly wouldn't say "damn you're right! I've been learning garbage the last 4 years!" and would be closed off to further discussion.

So when you meet a LARPer in bad need of rescue don't flat out bash them. Instead try saying "hey thats neat, I do martial arts too. Checkout the bullshido.net sometime - it has a lot of info about other arts" and let them find out themself why their art sucks.
    I generally deal with adults or children on the situation, by which I mean, they're quite a few years ahead of me, or just starting those dreaded teen years. So I let them carry on their young whipper-snapper approach, or gawk at the fact that pain is part of training. Since in my case it's TKD, realistic knowledge about martial arts is easy to spread but hard to apply. A lot of the children tend to shy away from the painful aspects of martial arts and are scared of being disproved. Most of the adults are more open-minded, but more set in their ways. They tend to think that martial arts training is just for "a great work-out," when they can't properly punch.

Not a whole lot of college age kids are into TKD since they did it as kids and now see it as crap. Unless they're delusional or forced by their parents, they don't really see much use in it and quit. I'm a sucker who signed a contract, and now I'm making the best of it, but I get to help a lot of people out who really do want to do proper MA training. I show them HOW I got better, even though I'm 4 degrees of black belt below them.

Most of the people I meet are in it for their kids, but they secretly want MA training. I'm just offering the truth in it.

I'm kinda being a douche and responding to every post in my thread. Sorry bout that.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only tell martial artist's. Whether their LARPer's or real fighters I just give them the site name and give them a quick lay down of what its about. I also tell them that most of you guys are bastards. <3
    OK but on a serious note, I think Bullshido needs televised advertising. Everyone should know of the site.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    here's an idea:

Nobody asked you. Shut your fucking mouth. :)
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:28pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember: The questions is not how far. The question is do you posses the constitution, the depths of faith to go as far as needed.

Keep spreading the word, *****.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 12:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the same thing when I try to convince people that Ke_po sucks. You have to prove it with facts (usually by beating them) before you can convice them with words.

But Bullshido, I refer it to anyone I know who watches MMA or kickboxing, but doesn't do either.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 2:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tell them, "Speaking of which, I saw this video of an AMAZING monkey stylist. Unbelievable. He totally owns guys at this MMA gym. I think he really gets <asinine misconception you were talking about>. Guy calls himself Asia..."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12