Thread: Hello from PA

Style
    Kung-Fu, Arnis, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello from PA

Hey there,

Been lurking for a while and decided to put myself on the firing line and broaden my horizons.

I have been studying for little over a year in Pai Lum Kung-fu, at a place called Carlisle Kung-fu Center which also has a Modern Arnis class that I attend (which if anything so far has taught me that in a life or death knife fight either A. Shoot them, or B. Run like hell). On the side I also do a little BJJ and hope to be able to fit more of that in the future.

Primary reason I want to get into the board is to get in on some Central PA throwdown goodness and train with some people who can help me in filling out my fighting abilities (my school is not pretentious enough to disapprove of cross training)

I also own a simple gun collection so I look forward to getting into some bump firing discussions. :qright6:

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums ronh... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, central pa bjjer here. think we have someone else from berks county floating around here as well, also a bjjer.

Style
    submission grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido. I am originally from Harrisburg. But I left. Lots of people do. Leave Harrisburg that is. Have fun, lurk and when you feel brave try out your views in one of the other forums, it won't hurt for long. :icon_eek:

Style
    Kung-Fu, Arnis, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    hey, central pa bjjer here. think we have someone else from berks county floating around here as well, also a bjjer.
    Hey sometime in the future we should do a central PA throwdown I travel to Lancaster every so often. I'm new to BJJ but defintly want to expand on it, I just barely know the differece between an americana and a kimura. Be gentle on me.

Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Welcome to bullshido. I am originally from Harrisburg. But I left. Lots of people do. Leave Harrisburg that is. Have fun, lurk and when you feel brave try out your views in one of the other forums, it won't hurt for long.
    Thanks for the welcome, funny thing is that I moved to Harrisburg from San Diego, Ca (the things you do for wife and kids) and I defintly do not intend on dieing or being buried here.

I've got tough skin, bring the pain.

Style
    submission grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronh
    Hey sometime in the future we should do a central PA throwdown I travel to Lancaster every so often. I'm new to BJJ but defintly want to expand on it, I just barely know the differece between an americana and a kimura. Be gentle on me.

Thanks for the welcome, funny thing is that I moved to Harrisburg from San Diego, Ca (the things you do for wife and kids) and I defintly do not intend on dieing or being buried here.

I've got tough skin, bring the pain.
    You moved from San Diego to Harrisburg. You must have been really bad in a previous life.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have a mat fee at the studio, but if you're willing to pay, I'm sure you can train. you also have the garage nearby, good group of guys there for your bjj needs.

Style
    no gi grappling/sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. I'm from western Berks County (Lebanon area), so I'm not too far away. I used to do BJJ, but now I do no gi grappling and a little bit of sambo.

I also have a small gun collection, but haven't done alot of bump firing since I got rid of the AR-15 about a year ago : (

The Garage is good BJJ from what I hear. Look into them.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to the garage, good place. Good guys, good instructors, although the facility is ridiculously small. I don't know how they roll more than two or three matches at once.

Style
    no gi grappling/sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never been there, but that wouldn't be surprising. Most of the schools I have visited in the SE PA area have been pretty small. I would guess they do have 2 or 3 matches at a time and have everyone else wait their turn. Kind of detrimental to training but with the lack of BJJ schools in this part of PA, I guess they just suck it up. Where I train, the only time we're lacking in room is when we start on the feet...no room to sprawl. We usually only do standup grappling when the class is small but we are expanding quickly. I guess they will have to soon tweak the schedule or find bigger facilities.