Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:51pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fedor signs with M-1

In my search for news on the Fedor/UFC situation I came across this:
    PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has committed exclusively to the new ownership of M-1 Mix-Fight Championship, which has been purchased outright by an undisclosed America entertainment-related company, according to a source close to the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Established in 1997, the St. Petersburg-based M-1 held over 30 events under the ownership of Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, also the long-time manager of the much-sought-after Emelianenko. Finkelstein is also the proprietor of the Red Devil Sports Club, a facility and team that houses numerous Russian fighters, including PRIDE veteran Roman Zentsov and former UFC middleweight Andrei Semenov.
    The source confirmed the new ownership has infused a substantial amount of capital into the organization. Finkelstein and others will stay on to assist in running the company, which will continue to promote under a variation of the M-1 name. The new M-1 will take more of a global stance, and Emelianenko (26-1) will headline its inaugural event as early as January or February, possibly in the U.S., the source said.

On March 27, Ultimate Fighting Championship majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta bought the assets of PRIDE, only to discover Emelianenko had previously signed a non-exclusive, non-transferable contract with its former owners, Dream Stage Entertainment.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2007/10/10/163357/31

this is on several sites though I haven't been able to find this on any official site so who knows if its true. If it is this sucks, and it means the only top opponent Fedor could possibly face for a while now is Barnet. Not to mention we' won't get to see fedor vs couture anytime soon, and people will eventually forget about fedor as he continues to face only crap competition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the **** fedor :(

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:55pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you stop stepping up against the best, gradually your star will fade.

Couture vs Fedor in the UFC would be one of the largest draws for MMA we would have ever seen.

If this is true, here is hoping that the undisclosed American company is ZUFFA LLC.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:58pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm resisting the urge to put up an overused "Noooo" pic and just wonder why Fedor doesn't want a part of the UFC. :icon_neut

$5 says Mark Cuban was the buyer. EliteXC would have gone public with their purchase already.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 5:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard of M-1... here's their site. Could anyone who speaks Russian translate please? I notice Fedor's picture on the right hand side, and the shop sells Fedor T-shirts, so things don't look good.

http://www.mixfight.ru/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 5:30pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx
    Never heard of M-1... here's their site. Could anyone who speaks Russian translate please? I notice Fedor's picture on the right hand side, and the shop sells Fedor T-shirts, so things don't look good.

http://www.mixfight.ru/
    I believe Fedor has been involved with M-1 in some form or another for a while, it was after all run by his manager, and I believe his fight in BoDog was a joint Bodog/M-1 event, not sure though. So that may be bad or it may mean nothing, I wish I spoke russian.
    I want to know who that american company was, I wouldn't be suprised if it was Zuffa, but for some reason I hope it wasn't

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 5:42pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree in that if you have a Russian based MMA competition, even if it is owned by an American company that would be better in the long term. Diversity is strength and competition is a good thing. I miss the many interesting aspects Pride offered.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 5:46pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *cries*

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 6:04pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't m1 have an event take place on a floating ring/cage/pontoon?

Alex is also fighting under m1 now I believe.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FEDOR COMMITS TO M-1

PRIDE Heavyweight Champion To Headline First Show Under New Ownership

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)

PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has committed exclusively to the new ownership of M-1 Mix-Fight Championship, which has been purchased outright by an undisclosed American entertainment-related company, according to a source close to the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Established in 1997, the St. Petersburg-based M-1 held over 30 events under the ownership of Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, also the long-time manager of the much-sought-after Emelianenko. Finkelstein is also the proprietor of the Red Devil Sports Club, a facility and team that houses numerous Russian fighters, including PRIDE veteran Roman Zentsov and former UFC middleweight Andrei Semenov.

The source confirmed the new ownership has infused a substantial amount of capital into the organization. Finkelstein and others will stay on to assist in running the company, which will continue to promote under a variation of the M-1 name. The new M-1 will take more of a global stance, and Emelianenko (26-1) will headline its inaugural event as early as January or February, possibly in the U.S., the source said.
    On March 27, Ultimate Fighting Championship majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta bought the assets of PRIDE, only to discover Emelianenko had previously signed a non-exclusive, non-transferable contract with its former owners, Dream Stage Entertainment.

As late as September, UFC president Dana White had insisted a deal with Emelianenko was imminent, though repeated negotiations between Finkelstein, colleague Apy Echteld and the Las Vegas outlet could not produce an agreement to bring the Stary Oskol resident to the famed Octagon. A major point of contention was White’s insistence Emelianenko sign an exclusive contract with the American promotion, which would exclude Emelianenko’s participation in Sambo competitions. Emelianenko is a three-time World Combat Sambo champion and ambassador for the sport in his homeland.

Undefeated in 24 fights (including one no contest), Emelianenko is widely received as the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter. The 31-year-old former Army firefighter rose to the top of PRIDE’s ranks by besting standouts like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (30-4-1) and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-6-2). Emelianenko submitted 2000 Olympic Greco-Roman silver medallist Matt Lindland (20-5) at Bodog Fight “Clash of the Nations” on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He has not competed since.

A formal announcement of the purchase, as well as plans for the new organization’s first event, is expected by the end of this month.

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5076

I'd say the Fight Network is legit news source.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast