Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I could go back to TMA. It's like peeling onions to get my fingers ready for playing guitar. I doubt much has changed though. Forms probably have always been for noobs, and sparring did the real work. Perhaps forms were all up in the mcdojos of the ancient world...I mean, they did use swords and ****. We still had opposable thumbs back in the day, sticks and clubs and whatnot. Perhaps forms have sucked for all time, whether or not the practitioner lives his/her art.

Could it be that it was just some confusing **** to pull before you cut em, like Jules with the bible speech in Pulp Fiction.

Ye shalt give my from thy purse four gold pieces, and I shalt the divine triangle stance teach thee. Chamber thy hands.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 10:47pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    forms are just sets of old drills strung together so you can remember them.

you are supposed to 'break them apart' and functionalize the 'pieces'.

they are also intended to stimulate continuous motion. but it is rarely extended to drilling and sparring. instead people want to look cool/pretty.

:)

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible though, that back in ye old day, cats with huge student rosters (for money, that has never changed) just had them do what they do nowadays, forms forms forms, one new move a month, two if advanced. Chamber thy hand sir Gawain or the fair Lady Somebitch won't stroke thy member for you'll have spotty form old chap.

Aside from weapons training, I wonder if forms ever did much? was that the mcdojoization of the ancients.

EDIT: of course, I live in the USA, the new babylon, it's bound to be shite. for you "foreign" posters, how bad is the suck around the world? Has the Bullshido comunity been able to collectively establish the relative degree of mcdojo-ization here and abroad?

I demand you tell me, I'm in a triangle stance here, don't make me insert the form (uh, sorry for the imigery).
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 10/12/2007 11:04pm at .

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 11:52pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus

2. "We train to get back up again as soon as possible rather than stay on the ground like in bjj."

"

Isn't that the philosophy of alot of MMA schools that focus on stand up? Realistically, they will never out grapple schools focussed on ground work.

Why does cro-cop do BJJ? He certainly won't keep the fight on the ground, nor will he ever out grapple Nog or Fedor.

I would ASSUME it's to get the **** back up.

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 11:54pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We ARE assuming cross training right?

If your talking about a kung-fu guy who says he learned all his ground work in hung-gar or something, then yeah....thats a bullshit statement.

But if the instructor cross trains, he certainly is showing something legit.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 10/12/2007 11:59pm at .
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678