Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible that for those who are weak, and looking for security, and find that security in a tough teacher, or a high belt and shiny pajamas, or secret d3adly knowlege, there's a massive temptation to only set up a facade of humility? all the while massaging the ego with magazines, tv, movies, and mystical looking forms (see phrosts bagua belly dancing dude clip on youtube, I rest my case) but not addressing the root problem, not having skills.

The goal of fixing perceived inadequacies will rub up against and chafe uncomfortably (like a 200 grit sandpaper cup) up against real humility...which often involves not believing the hype, and not inflating, or enhancing the self worth, as much as putting feelings of self worth and importance into perspective.

Are feeble spindly people more likely to have such an ego?? and to propagate such facades.
    Same thing with noobs (Adubswils,judo noob,tool), or permanoobs turned old noobs (JFS)

who has the r33l arroganc3?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:36am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Is it possible that for those who are weak, and looking for security, and find that security in a tough teacher, or a high belt and shiny pajamas, or secret d3adly knowlege, there's a massive temptation to only set up a facade of humility? all the while massaging the ego with magazines, tv, movies, and mystical looking forms (see phrosts bagua belly dancing dude clip on youtube, I rest my case) but not addressing the root problem, not having skills.

The goal of fixing perceived inadequacies will rub up against and chafe uncomfortably (like a 200 grit sandpaper cup) up against real humility...which often involves not believing the hype, and not inflating, or enhancing the self worth, as much as putting feelings of self worth and importance into perspective.

Are feeble spindly people more likely to have such an ego?? and to propagate such facades.
    Same thing with noobs (Adubswils,judo noob,tool), or permanoobs turned old noobs (JFS)

who has the r33l arroganc3?
    Yes, feeble spindly people are more likely. They're not fat, and fat people know that they're not in shape. Spindly people aren't fat, and assume that at least they're not fat, so they must be good for something. Life soft-styled martial arts.

This coming from a trimming down fatty, of course.

I have a hypothesis that all of this starts from middle school, and I bet it's not far off.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you are wise beyond your years

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 12:20pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    you are wise beyond your years
    I'd be lucky if that was so. In the mean time, TMAs still make you do this::wav:

Which breeds this:

:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger :thefinger

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I agree, I was pointing out that the standards for each was different. Also, it is hard to be arrogant when getting tapped out on a regular basis, at least for me. Now do I feel smugly superior to people who do TMA? Of course. I felt the same way when I was younger and used to be a runner about people who weren’t. Human nature neh?

Agreed.

:bowdown:

Choo R vewy wize.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 3:40pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its even worse when you have people going to these so-called masters for self defense purposes.

The BJJ class and the TKD class is held in the same room at USF. Recently there was a serial rapest that was terrorizing the area surrounding the campus so the guy at the TKD school decided to teach a few submissions to the female students from the guard (You see where this is going).

They were working on the basic arm bar from the guard. So this one guy is walking this other guy through the arm bar and is at the point where he has trapped the arm, changed the grips on the head and the arm, jumped his leg over and was about to apply the hold.

Suddenly, the guy calls me over and says, "Hey, do you think you can help me teach him this move?" I went over, turned the guys wrist around, told the other guy to extend his hips, and presto, the first guy tapped out.

The thing that scares me most isn't the fact that the guy was teaching a move that he had no idea how to apply himself, but that HE HAD GONE TO ME INSTEAD OF GOING TO THE PERSON WHO WAS ACTUALLY TEACHING THE BJJ CLASS!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:13pm

Style: ex-wrestler, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EternalRage,

That poster that asked you if you were from Jena, and if you can tie knots is referring to the brou-haha in Jena, Louisianna. Big time racial issues down there, for apparently no reason. It got really bad when a bunch of white kids tied a noose on a tree at the high school to scare the black students (hence, if you can tie knots). Other **** happened, six black kids beat up one white boy, they got arrested, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson got involved, and other **** happened that I don't care to cover here. Big fucking mess.

I am surprised no one else got the referrence.

And I must say, it is usually the TMA's that have more arrogance than BJJ or MMA places. But I do see assholes in their Gracie BJJ outfits and other retards who do a little training (not enought to be called a BJJer or a MMAer) who try to pick up chicks talking about that **** and how much they train and whatnot. I would say it has more to do with a person's actual nature about him/her, but TMA usually magnifies it much more than MMA or BJJ or aything like that.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got the reference, but it sounded like something he'd thought up, and was waiting to use.

It didn't apply to what had been said, I hate fake outrage, I have real outrage for fake outrage.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would actually be pretty depressing if most of this **** did indeed originate in middle school.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 4:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe 5 white kids beat up 1 black kid and got simple assault.

Then 6 black kids beat up 1 white kid in retaliation, and got charged with attempted murder.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast