222231 Bullies, 4429 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 50 of 75
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. EternalRage is offline
    EternalRage's Avatar

    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 5:06pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milquetoast
    Wow, this is just a ridiculous concept. So MMA are the only ones with good training methods? If you just go to a Muay Thai school, you're not getting any tougher, because you don't mix it with something else. That's just trolling.
    I left room for exceptions (geez what is it with you people). Of course, MT, Kyokushin, BJJ, and other TMAs have good training methods.

    [quot]Yeah, this I do agree with completely. Some schools suck. They just do.[/quote]
    Not just that. Some systems as a whole suck more than others.

    Uh, I think there are guys who are hyping up their fighting backrounds, you can check the BS board right now over a guy in Austin, Tx., who MAY be doing this.
    Fair enough, but it's still hard to pull a fast one on at least those who are interested and have some basic idea of what MMA is.

    Do you live in Jena? Are you proficient in tying knots?
    No idea what you mean by this.

    Agree completely again. But there must have been some TMA's with good training, unless the Gracie's created everything from scratch.
    Like I said, I gave some room for leeway, I know there are exceptions. But at least in the US, TMAs with good training is usually not the norm.
  2. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,037

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 6:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    Just another notch on a bar chick's belt.
    haha, not for me, I'm taken. Most musicians are complete sluts though...I would be if I hadn't fallen hard for my girl.

    To stay on thread, look out for the quiet guys. I've suffered my worst, most humiliating rounds of sparring with quiet, pleasant, soft spoken nice guys, who happen to be very talented at hitting and kicking and throwing fools like me.

    For me, barring natural athletes mocking us average mortals, most tough guys don't talk ****, because they already know that tough isn't always enough, anything can happen in a fight, and why talk **** and set yourself up for an irony and a disaster.

    The ten thousand word essays online, about honor, and respect, come from guys/gals who are often hard to trace to many actual fights. What do you do when you don't like to get hit, and still love martial arts? You post online about honor and the d3adly, and avoid the ring at all costs, because who needs bruises? I'm sure I can fight, because I love it so much when I see jet lee fly across the screen.
  3. HonkyTonkMan is offline
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar

    Y SO SRIUS?

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,434

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:16am

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I think the biggest difference between sport based arts and others is the fact that a sport based art is a meritocracy. Your status is based on what you can do in the ring or on the mats, or as an instructor, how well your students do. In a traditional martial art your status is based on what you know. Being able to use the knowledge (hard sparring for example) is not near as important as being able to show the knowledge in an artistically pleasing manor ( a flawless kata, precise movements during a drill or demo, for example).

    It depends on what you are trying to get out of a MA.
    If you do XMA, then kata and such are relevant. The problem comes in when they let the 12 year olds that worship them go to their heads.

    There are lots of assholes in MMA/BJJ. Just look around at Bullshido. They think that they are better than TMA people. However, If I took ten TMA people I know there would be 6 that are arrogant.
    If I took 10 MMA/BJJ people I know, there would be 4 that are arrogant.

    However usually tha TMA arrogance stays in the set periods of whenever they are wearing their gi and belts.

    MMA/BJJ pretty much stay arrogant all the time. They wear their Full Conatct Fighter shirts out and wear them the same as a TMA wears a belt.

    Still, for the most part TMA people are shitty to under ranks, where more realistic arts seem to be more willing to help a newb out.

    This is simply from my XP.
  4. FictionPimp is offline

    Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,147

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:00am


     Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of this is the exact same things you see with religions. I think martial arts without hard sparing are just like religions, so there are a lot of similarities.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki
  5. cyril is offline
    cyril's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:14am


     Style: No-Gi BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    A lot of this is the exact same things you see with religions. I think martial arts without hard sparing are just like religions, so there are a lot of similarities.
    More like a cult than an organized religion.

    The difference being that there is an obvious amount of leader worship, but religion is about making "life choices", whereas TKD and what other McDojos have you are more about respect. Cults are more often about respecting and trusting (which is slightly different from faith) than about faith and choices.

    In my experience, and from what I've seen of McDojos.
  6. M1K3 is offline
    M1K3's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,367

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:20am


     Style: submission grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    It depends on what you are trying to get out of a MA.
    If you do XMA, then kata and such are relevant. The problem comes in when they let the 12 year olds that worship them go to their heads.

    There are lots of a-holes in MMA/BJJ. Just look around at Bullshido. They think that they are better than TMA people. However, If I took ten TMA people I know there would be 6 that are arrogant.
    If I took 10 MMA/BJJ people I know, there would be 4 that are arrogant.

    However usually tha TMA arrogance stays in the set periods of whenever they are wearing their gi and belts.

    MMA/BJJ pretty much stay arrogant all the time. They wear their Full Conatct Fighter shirts out and wear them the same as a TMA wears a belt.

    Still, for the most part TMA people are sh1tty to under ranks, where more realistic arts seem to be more willing to help a newb out.

    This is simply from my XP.
    I agree, I was pointing out that the standards for each was different. Also, it is hard to be arrogant when getting tapped out on a regular basis, at least for me. Now do I feel smugly superior to people who do TMA? Of course. I felt the same way when I was younger and used to be a runner about people who weren’t. Human nature neh?
  7. MaverickZ is offline

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,928

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:33am

    supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me tell you what creates arrogance. Lack of dissenting opinions.
  8. M1K3 is offline
    M1K3's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,367

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:36am


     Style: submission grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Let me tell you what creates arrogance. Lack of dissenting opinions.
    I disagree!
  9. Tom .C is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,127

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:38am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still think that arrogance is more of a person's nature than an effect caused by a martial art he may study. Many times it may just indicate a lack of maturity or even a defect in character.(reads ElbowBomber's stupidity) Some people are able to get past that stage, while others are never able to grow past it. Some people mistake self assurance as arrogance but the difference is easy to see. Arrogance is usually an ego driven thing,(read Rudy Abel's stupidity) while assurance is the quiet guy who calmly taps you at will. Look at any field of endeavor and you will find egos run wild. Computer geeks who become "King of the Nerds", more Jesus-est preachers, best collections of beer cans dude, etc. Personally, I'm the mostest under-educated dude. Spoutin off about arrogance.
  10. cyril is offline
    cyril's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831

    Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:21am


     Style: No-Gi BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    I still think that arrogance is more of a person's nature than an effect caused by a martial art he may study. Many times it may just indicate a lack of maturity or even a defect in character.(reads ElbowBomber's stupidity) Some people are able to get past that stage, while others are never able to grow past it. Some people mistake self assurance as arrogance but the difference is easy to see. Arrogance is usually an ego driven thing,(read Rudy Abel's stupidity) while assurance is the quiet guy who calmly taps you at will. Look at any field of endeavor and you will find egos run wild. Computer geeks who become "King of the Nerds", more Jesus-est preachers, best collections of beer cans dude, etc. Personally, I'm the mostest under-educated dude. Spoutin off about arrogance.
    We all know that every sub-culture has its arrogant idiots. We know that it's the same in martial arts. The question at hand has to do with the phenomenon that is Traditional Martial Arts, and why is it that they have such a high percentage of arrogant fucktards.

    For some reason the TMAs tend to promote an arrogance within themselves, and thus we look at the structure of many of them and find the underlying flaw. LACK OF PROOF. So much of what is done in a TMA Dojo is unfounded or unproven, and this leads to a mysterious air about their art, and it is something that is taken and run with. For the people in charge such as teachers and businessmen, this is great. People buying an intangible good, with promises that they're not sure about.

    It suits the people in charge to make things look better than they are, and it suits the buyer to assume that what he is spending money on is automatically amazing, and the fact that no one is willing to prove them wrong just points them in that direction.

    Like was said earlier, with no meritocracy, it all goes to the dogs. Look at politics once qualifications ceased to be an issue. Everyone wants their friends in. We have super present group think at all levels, and this is the problem.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.