Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say it's damn hard to open a mma school unless you kick serious ass, or are the only school in town...still though, mma is the new boxing, and just about every tough dude who comes through the door of a new mma school, knows something about it already, and will expect to roll/spar with his new coach.(for anyone who's seen an mma class, most are young fit men, who can already fight, and need to be rounded, they aren't easy to fake out)

Many many mma students, came from other, older arts that sucked to them, and having seen the ufc, wfa, ifl etc...can't stand the fakery, and feigned humility, false hierarchy, belt farm mentality that says, "it's all relative, and we're good people, this belt means I'm better than all of you below me, and if you question that, you don't understand respect".

I felt respected by my teacher, the first time he waved me over to spar him during the sparring class, and not pair me up with a student. He then punched my head and body like an expert, as I did my best to get him back... and I didn't finish the round. He was maybe at 50% pressure, maybe less, and I couldn't do three minutes.

I have 15 lbs on the man, and so I know he's cut out to teach san da/ mma/ sub fighting etc because he'll be happy to put the hurt to anyone who likes to learn that way.
    I keep my chin down and shoulder up as a habit because I ate a straight right to the neck sparring him. Tough lesson (retched for a few minutes) but worth a thousand touchy flicky kicky tappy tickle lessons.

And guitarists do get laid, but would never have learned if they were getting some during the years they had to practice. It's karma of sorts, for letting everyone else have the sex before.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think what the fucking morons don't understand is that MMA != an MA. MMA is a training methodology meant to encompass the three ranges of fighting, realistic training and fully resisting live sparring. These are necessary albeit not sufficient aspects of a proper MMA school.

As stated earlier most MMA schools train separate arts and then in addition have MMA classes in which the separate arts are combined. At my school we have MT and BJJ, we also have classes for MMA. Some people are in all or some of the classes.

To stay on topic, the most arrogant people I met were in aikido and the least arrogant are at my SBG school. Of those the very least arrogant and the most willing to help others as well as listen to advice are the fighters who actually go out there and fight competitively.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 10/10/2007 1:39pm at .

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:54pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the arrogance created by most TMAs comes from the belief that the student has been shown some magical technique no one else knows. A Harry Potter-esque death strike direct from China. The reality kicks in when the student faces someone who trains harder, realistically, and is prepared for being hit. Or maybe when sucker-punched by a drunk kid.

I dont think it would be very difficult to open a MMA school with very little experience. There is a sucker born every minute, and I think we will be seeing alot of this in the near future. We are already seeing TMA schools marketing themseves as MMA schools by adding grappling to their curriculum.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 2:01pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the biggest difference between sport based arts and others is the fact that a sport based art is a meritocracy. Your status is based on what you can do in the ring or on the mats, or as an instructor, how well your students do. In a traditional martial art your status is based on what you know. Being able to use the knowledge (hard sparring for example) is not near as important as being able to show the knowledge in an artistically pleasing manor ( a flawless kata, precise movements during a drill or demo, for example).

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 2:09pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets not forget the color of your belt.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    And guitarists do get laid, but would never have learned if they were getting some during the years they had to practice. It's karma of sorts, for letting everyone else have the sex before.
    Just another notch on a bar chick's belt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most bullshit thing I ever heard was from a local ninja school, which lead me to decide to avoid them. A college student in our area was a blackbelt in (I believe karate but it might just have been the news), and got jumped by a bunch of punks who got out of a car knocked him to the ground with a blow to the back of the head and beat him to death without him ever having a chance to fight back. Their sensei actually said something along the lines of "Once you are a blackbelt fighting three people won't be a big deal, if he had trained with us instead of his martial art he would still be alive." And this place looked fairly alive too, with sparring and whatnot.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 3:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage

Not as easy to open an MMA school as you think, you can't just say you do MMA and then have a bunch of 18-30 yr olds running thru the door. It's a pretty specific training methodology that people are looking for now, and you can't just slap on the abbreviation like your 80's ninjas threw on black jumpsuits.
    I feel compelled to throw this out there, when I was 12 (four years ago) I took karate up to yellow belt which at the time consisted of two wrist escapes, two minutes of jogging, lunge punching across a gym, and escaping from someone bear hugging you from behind. I got yelled at repeatedly for trying to resist when the other person tried to escape from me. Now the exact same school changed its name to "Tiger Schulmanns MMA" and sells MMA. Its aparently making a profit because another school has opened since and I know people who go there. When I read their literature they made no mention of the intructors actually earning any new certifications, just added it on to their list of programs. There are a couple other martial arts schools I know which did the same thing, threw MMA on the signboard and taught a few new moves. Bullshido is easy in suburban PA, we're not big barfighters, and hell running up the stairs a few times would get you into good enough shape to have an edge in a fight, so they just keep their little racket going.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old Shaolin-Do school had a lot of arrogance. At the lower belt level it was the "I train martial arts now so can kick anyone's ass on the street BUT I'M TOTALLY HUMBLE ABOUT IT" kind of arrogance. At the brown/1st black level it was "I can beat up an entire room full of people but I'd never do that because I train to better myself" arrogance, and at the upper degrees of black belt there were definitely a higher proportion of grounded individuals but still far too many who had the former two types of arrogance mixed in with a healthy amount of prothletizing for whatever their pet cause was (especially PETA/vegan bullshit) whenever lower belt students would listen.

Aside from having far less arrogance as a whole at my BJJ school (for the reasons already stated), the interesting thing I've noticed is that the arrogance that does exist is inversely proportional to rank. In other words, the most arrogant students at the school and the people I don't want to roll with are white belts (not saying all or even a significant number of the white belts are this way, but I only ever notice white belts having an attitude or ego), while every blue and purple belt I train with is amazingly helpful and without ego and glad to give me pointers about how to better resist while they pummel me into submission. It's pretty obvious that this positive training environment comes from going through the lower belt gauntlet yourself, and coming from a place where you can barely advance position on anyone, much less tap people. Basically, all the "arrogant" white belts who started training around the same time as me have either dropped the attitude from being run over so many times by upper belts or ended up quitting because their performance when rolling didn't measure up to their own ego. And it's a process that will continue to happen with any current white belts who are that way.
    Last edited by artard; 10/11/2007 12:19am at .

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitterykenshin
    OK, let me get this straight.

I say that when someoen chooses a particular style or path they naturally want to defend their own choice, and are all too willing to believe bad things about other methods.

You respond by telling me that there is no such thing as crap MMA because every school out there is the real deal, but TMA stereotypes are all universally true because TMAers are all delusional posers.

Thanks for helping me make my point.
    Well, I tried to use diction that left room for exceptions when talking about TMA - like "usually" and "often" instead of more absolutes, but ok I guess I had to spell it out for you.

As for MMA, go read cyril's post. It's a training methodology, either you have it and provide it, or you don't. So despite the few instances of "MMA Bullshido" that have been posted in the last couple pages, none of that crap is going to fool anyone who goes looking for MMA, and watches a class of karate with MMA slapped on it.

Also, I don't do MMA. I do BJJ, so it's not like I chose MMA and automatically decided not to believe anything good about TMAs.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast