223853 Bullies, 3679 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitterykenshin
    Blind arrogance comes from having no clue about anything other than your own little world. TMAs are famous for it, but you see it a lot in MMA schools too. People get into one school/style that they really like and don't even look at what else is out there because obviously nothing can compare with what they have already chosen. Or they hear so many stories about how "our guys" really humiliated the "other guys" one time, so that must be the way it is. But if you look hard enough you can find stories that fit both sides of any argument.
    Yeah but the MMAers can actually back up their arrogance. TMA arrogance often goes hand in hand with delusion. Usually MMA arrogance leads to tougher training, sort of the locker room mentality that is a part of the bonding experience. TMA arrogance is often used to hide bullshido, scam money through hierarchial class structures, etc.

Arrogance isn't particularly healthy, and it is annoying, but it's obvious which camp gets more mileage out of it.

[/MMA vs TMA war]

I have studied a couple of arts, and been exposed to several others, and have found that (as hard as it may be for some people to believe) there are advantages and disadvantages to ALL of them.
    Unfortunately some styles have a way better ratio of advantages to disadvatanges than others. This whole "we all have strengths and weaknesses so lets hold hands and dance in the meadow" is bullshit.

And that includes MMA - right now there are a bunch of "MMA" schools fall into the "jack of all trades master of none" problem trying to cash in on the latest craze - kind of like the guys that put on black pajamas in the 80s and suddenly became Ninja.
    Not as easy to open an MMA school as you think, you can't just say you do MMA and then have a bunch of 18-30 yr olds running thru the door. It's a pretty specific training methodology that people are looking for now, and you can't just slap on the abbreviation like your 80's ninjas threw on black jumpsuits.

But that's very different from people who have a solid skill base in several styles and blend them together. Some of the people who get into these schools hear all the crap about TMAs, or may have even studied in a shopping plaza McDojo for a while and been burned. So they decide that all TMAs must be that way.
    Stereotypes are founded in truth.

One thing they have to remember though, all the stuff they are "mixing" had to come from somewhere originally. Just that someone was smart enough to pick out a handful of useful stuff and concentrate on it.
    More than just that. The "someone" was fed up with all the bullshit in the several systems and decided just to take what worked. MMA wasn't formed out of some happy go lucky weekend experiment, it was formed out of necessity due to decades of growing bullshit in TMA (at least in the U.S.)

Hrm that end tag up there isn't working...

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of it will be in group out group psychology. Your group is always good, the other is ****.

They did an experiment with some kids, put them in two groups and told them the more money they gave the other team the more money they would get. But the kids spited themselves by always giving the other group only a little money. Tajfel I think it was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:42am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, let me get this straight.

I say that when someoen chooses a particular style or path they naturally want to defend their own choice, and are all too willing to believe bad things about other methods.

You respond by telling me that there is no such thing as crap MMA because every school out there is the real deal, but TMA stereotypes are all universally true because TMAers are all delusional posers.

Thanks for helping me make my point.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In group out group like I said.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:54am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Abslutely, it's just human nature.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitterykenshin
    OK, let me get this straight.

I say that when someoen chooses a particular style or path they naturally want to defend their own choice, and are all too willing to believe bad things about other methods.

You respond by telling me that there is no such thing as crap MMA because every school out there is the real deal, but TMA stereotypes are all universally true because TMAers are all delusional posers.

Thanks for helping me make my point.
    No, no no. He actually made an intelligent post. However, if you ever want to try put on your silk pajamas and try your pissy slappy tappy crane kick on someone who's not standing frozen with their arms out like a retard, I'd be more than happy to take you up on it. Just try not to piss yourself when I break your knee and elbow your face bloody.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Xingyi, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Yeah but the MMAers can actually back up their arrogance. TMA arrogance often goes hand in hand with delusion. Usually MMA arrogance leads to tougher training, sort of the locker room mentality that is a part of the bonding experience. TMA arrogance is often used to hide bullshido, scam money through hierarchial class structures, etc.
    Wow, this is just a ridiculous concept. So MMA are the only ones with good training methods? If you just go to a Muay Thai school, you're not getting any tougher, because you don't mix it with something else. That's just trolling.

Unfortunately some styles have a way better ratio of advantages to disadvatanges than others. This whole "we all have strengths and weaknesses so lets hold hands and dance in the meadow" is bullshit.
    Yeah, this I do agree with completely. Some schools suck. They just do.

Not as easy to open an MMA school as you think, you can't just say you do MMA and then have a bunch of 18-30 yr olds running thru the door. It's a pretty specific training methodology that people are looking for now, and you can't just slap on the abbreviation like your 80's ninjas threw on black jumpsuits.
    Uh, I think there are guys who are hyping up their fighting backrounds, you can check the BS board right now over a guy in Austin, Tx., who MAY be doing this.

Stereotypes are founded in truth.
    Do you live in Jena? Are you proficient in tying knots?

More than just that. The "someone" was fed up with all the bullshit in the several systems and decided just to take what worked. MMA wasn't formed out of some happy go lucky weekend experiment, it was formed out of necessity due to decades of growing bullshit in TMA (at least in the U.S.)
    Agree completely again. But there must have been some TMA's with good training, unless the Gracie's created everything from scratch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:39pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    imo youtube bjjers are the most arrogant

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milquetoast
    Wow, this is just a ridiculous concept. So MMA are the only ones with good training methods? If you just go to a Muay Thai school, you're not getting any tougher, because you don't mix it with something else. That's just trolling.

*** more stuff ***
    I strongly recommend you to stop posting and read more posts, in particular the previous threads which originated this topic. Also, learn about the culture and lingo utilized here. Muay Thai is a well-respected art, and when people use the term MMA, it usually encompasses MMA proper as well as any art that has been added to the mix (BJJ, Judo, SAMBO, MT, KK, etc.)

I hope your stay in this website is productive, for you and the rest of the audience. But before presenting your opinions, first get acquainted with what's going on here, and the language utilized for discussions. That's the proper way to do it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:52pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in '96, when I was taking goju karate in Anderson Indianna and UFC was first being heard about on the MA scene, a crotchity old blackbelt started mouthing off about how all the UFC guys were pussies. Since he knew I liked it and had seen a few he said to me "Show me some of their moves? I bet you can't do anything to me. Those guys don't know what they're doing, those thugs."

So I put him in a standing RNC. He spun around and tried to shoulder toss me. As his body started to lurch and lose control, I let go because I thought I was about to kill him. He spun around twice, reeling forward, and then said "See! I told you you couldn't do anything to me with any of that bullshit!"

Dagon

P.S. For some reason, this thread reminds me of the guy's attitude in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast