Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 8:03am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    broccoli > cauliflower
    That's because Cauliflower is ninjutsu. And nothing can quite be as bad as that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 8:45am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    It's like being fed broccoli. They tell you it's good for you, and at first you eat it because it's forcefully fed through a parent or adult or something.

Then when you're older, you see all sorts of different ways to make it. Steam it, serve it with cheese, dipped in ranch, etc. You realize that really, it isn't all that bad.

Soon you see that it really is good for you, but then you die. Because no matter what you try to do, and no matter how good broccoli is for you, you still need other nutrients to survive. Any way you cook it, it's only part of the whole meal.

I don't know what I was trying to say here, but I really want some broccoli now. And I hate that so many kids think that their broccoli is superior to people who actually eat.
    Wait...so you're saying TMA arrogance is like....good?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    There's something good about TMAs (exposure for most people to MA, physical activity rather than TV time, learning how to memorize and worship old people, etc), but mostly that you're going to need a lot more than a McDojo to live in a ring or m3an Scr33ts.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look people, not getting your ass kicked on a regular basis is what creates arrogance. It doesn't matter if it's a "TMA", an "MMA", a "BSA", or a goddamn "FAA". Being humble means being force fed humble pie regularly. Now quit making "TMA sucks" threads, those horse bones have decomposed a long time ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    Double-post!

Also if you look at it, the moment that you see it is good for you, you die. That's definitely NOT a good thing.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 9:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you dip a traditional martial art in ranch? I've been in Judo since 1972. I've met a lot of people who have devoted their lives to Judo. There have been some arrogant people from time to time, but that has been the personality of the person more than the fault of Judo. Most of the Judo people I've met have been extremely pleasant to be around and share their knowledge and friendship very easily. I've played guitar since 1963 though, and have found a proliferant amount of expanded egos in this field. Much more so than in Judo anyway. So as a Judo player with a guitar, I should be one arrogant sob instead of the easy going simpleton I turned out to be. Still doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    I've played guitar since 1963 though, and have found a proliferant amount of expanded egos in this field.
    Yeah, well, guitarists get laid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 9:21am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blind arrogance comes from having no clue about anything other than your own little world. TMAs are famous for it, but you see it a lot in MMA schools too. People get into one school/style that they really like and don't even look at what else is out there because obviously nothing can compare with what they have already chosen. Or they hear so many stories about how "our guys" really humiliated the "other guys" one time, so that must be the way it is. But if you look hard enough you can find stories that fit both sides of any argument.

I have studied a couple of arts, and been exposed to several others, and have found that (as hard as it may be for some people to believe) there are advantages and disadvantages to ALL of them. And that includes MMA - right now there are a bunch of "MMA" schools fall into the "jack of all trades master of none" problem trying to cash in on the latest craze - kind of like the guys that put on black pajamas in the 80s and suddenly became Ninja. But that's very different from people who have a solid skill base in several styles and blend them together. Some of the people who get into these schools hear all the crap about TMAs, or may have even studied in a shopping plaza McDojo for a while and been burned. So they decide that all TMAs must be that way. One thing they have to remember though, all the stuff they are "mixing" had to come from somewhere originally. Just that someone was smart enough to pick out a handful of useful stuff and concentrate on it.

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Yeah, well, guitarists get laid.
    Yea, Yea, Yea, while the bass player puts the gear in the van and the drummer pays for the drinks. The failed dreams that you build your life on.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast