T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 10:40am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    Oh, and @ Bolverk: How would I block a high powered looping hook like that? What block would I use? How would I use it? Thanks for the tips!
    crazy monkey

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/12/2007 4:15pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    Oh, and @ Bolverk: How would I block a high powered looping hook like that? What block would I use? How would I use it? Thanks for the tips!
    Are you familiar with a Tan Sao? Well, rather then turning the palm up, let it face outward and keep the arm at a 45° angle. It looks similar to a knife hand block, but it moves straight out, no circular movement. The hook will catch on your forearm as you turn slightly toward the technique. Finger jab to the eyes with the opposite hand.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 12:40am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk
    Are you familiar with a Tan Sao? Well, rather then turning the palm up, let it face outward and keep the arm at a 45 angle. It looks similar to a knife hand block, but it moves straight out, no circular movement. The hook will catch on your forearm as you turn slightly toward the technique. Finger jab to the eyes with the opposite hand.
    Are there any more conventional blocks? I have very little knowledge on CMA, and my blocking is fairly limited to crazy monkey, wall (Hold forearms together to block a jab/hook), redirection of a jab, and brushing the hair (MT block). If this block is actually useable in an MMA setting (I have never seen a dramatic CMA block in MMA. ever), can you please explain to me exactly what Tan Sao is?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 12:43am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    crazy monkey
    Crazy Monkey to block a wide hook? If you have enough time to react, to turn into it, rather than expose the side of your head... This would be a very great block -- but unless I'm being attacked with a flurry of punches, I rarely use crazy monkey. I just use my regular stance, and rely on redirection, wall, and brushing. I'm not sure how well a brushing block absorbs a very high powered, wide hook. Is Crazy Monkey something that I should rely on? As soon as a punch comes, Crazy Monkey stance?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12