Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:13pm

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Throwing hooks in MMA

I've noticed a lot of MMA fighters (ie. Yamamoto) who throw wide hooks, without much hip rotation. They resemble crosses, except the hand is basically thrown in a circular motion. It basically looks like a combination of a cross and a hook. Yamamoto scores a lot of knockouts with this punch. Is this something that I should learn and practice? It looks like an effective punch that sneaks up on your opponent. Instead of getting into extremely close range (the range at which regular hooks are thrown), this hook is thrown from quite far away. Anyone else use this hook? Any tips? Pictures? Videos?

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of fighters tend to throw what is called an over hand right/left. Instead of coming straight up the middle, like a regular cross, it comes in at a downward angle almost in a looping fashion. When they land this punch without much hip rotation some torque can still be achieved by turning your thumb down or rotating the fist at impact. Still to me alot has to do with where the punch is landed, but rotating your thumb down can help with some power. I've seen some people counter a jab with this type of punch. Watch some of Chuck Liddell's fights I think he uses this punch quite often.
    Last edited by dag5306; 10/11/2007 10:34am at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's just a case of some MMA fighters not throwing textbook punches or being particularly good at "Boxing", but still hitting really hard.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:12am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I think it's just a case of some MMA fighters not throwing textbook punches or being particularly good at "Boxing", but still hitting really hard.
    I think you said it all right there. Those long looping hooks are pretty easy to block and even easier to see coming. And, if you are real good, you can block and jab at the same time. That'll snap a head back real quick.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 3:15pm

Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my current boxing coach, 'bomber' graham teaches a punch simliar to what you described. its basically a left hook that gains its momentum from twisting the body instead of the hips. its awkward to learn but pretty effective when you get the hang of it. its good at longer ranges and allows you to be able to dodge any strikes coming back at you.

either that, or it could be your average street swing...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the answers guys :)

@Dag: In what position does your fist start? Is it held sideways (Thumb up) when thrown, and then turned like a regular punch?

@Malsah: That sounds a bit different than what I meant, but interesting nevertheless. Can you describe exactly how you do it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and @ Bolverk: How would I block a high powered looping hook like that? What block would I use? How would I use it? Thanks for the tips!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 5:12pm

Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, fair enough.

its hard to explain without a visual refrance. it also relies on a dodgy stance. you push your front toe into the floor (not push yourself up), pull your front arm back then swing your arm round with your body. the fist is vertical and the elbow about 135 degrees. its important not to pivot as it loses power in the punch and leaves open your flank.

hope that helped, if not, sorry!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:22pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a lot of the weird looking punches are because of the different rules/gloves. In boxing you're theoretically only supposed to score a punch as clean if it's with the front part of the glove. Also, with the smaller gloves a lot more of the hand hurts than in boxing. I remember Spencer Fisher throwing very wide punches that would normally be your textbook "drunk street punch" but were actually designed to get around the high guard of his opponent. They worked pretty well, not as knockout punches but as set ups and distractions. I think this sort of thing (punches/techniques that work in a small glove/no glove environment) that isn't taught in regular boxing classes is really interesting and I hope it makes it into the mainstream more in the future.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein McFly
    I think a lot of the weird looking punches are because of the different rules/gloves. In boxing you're theoretically only supposed to score a punch as clean if it's with the front part of the glove. Also, with the smaller gloves a lot more of the hand hurts than in boxing. I remember Spencer Fisher throwing very wide punches that would normally be your textbook "drunk street punch" but were actually designed to get around the high guard of his opponent. They worked pretty well, not as knockout punches but as set ups and distractions. I think this sort of thing (punches/techniques that work in a small glove/no glove environment) that isn't taught in regular boxing classes is really interesting and I hope it makes it into the mainstream more in the future.
    I really do to. I am simply fascinated how these techniques are just finding themselves in a professional setting. I mean, you saw stuff like that during the early UFCs, but then again, a lot of people (who claimed to be street fighters) had no formal MMA training upon entering the ring. Now MMA is a sport of balance. You simply cannot win if you only know striking. You can't win if you only know submissions. It's a lot more professional, and technique based. But now, even guys with great boxing/MT/kickboxing form are throwing quirky punches. I can't wait until these punches see a real incorporation into MMA :D

@ Malsah: That sounds very awkward... But thank you very much for the description. I'll try it out on my heavy bag tommorow. Hopefully I'll be able to post a video, and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast