Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:41pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Oh noes! Not the comfy mat! Please not that again!
    Oh, yes, it's the comfy mat for you, my friend. Your engine's been running a little rough lately, perhaps it's time we got under the hood and checked the oil. Heck, maybe we might go for an oil change. :pottytrai
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/09/2007 3:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:46pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    Good question, please enlighten us shadow warrior.
    then show me 3 points of the 1st vid. which you would consider a tiny bit flawed and ill break that video down for you and explain you why its sucha shitfest caught on tape.
    OK, the first vid.

*He is assuming the shove won't knock him down or won't follow through with a grab/headbutt or kick
    *He has no real lower body protection
    *He has no way to deal with the attacker once he has him in that hold if the attacker moves his body and if the kick misses he will be very vulnerable ro counter attack
    (part two of the vid:)
    *He's not thinking about the other arm swinging to hit him as he moves his hand to grab his wrist
    *the wrist grab would depend on the attacker keeping his arm totally still and would be tricky to implement

No offence to BJJ, I have friends who teach it, and I've found techniques like a Full Nelson escape very useful, but I have more of an interest in Chinese martial arts, especially as I have spent a couple of years conditioning my body based on those principles. (and no I don't mean standing on a cliff pretending to be a tree for 3 hours)

The point I was trying to make though, is: if you're going to train based on the idea that an opponent will do something, shouldn't you train for him not doing that certain thing too?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm gonna stay out of this one too, cause i know at least one person in that video (not the instructor)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Warrior
    OK, the first vid.

*He is assuming the shove won't knock him down or won't follow through with a grab/headbutt or kick
    *He has no real lower body protection
    *He has no way to deal with the attacker once he has him in that hold if the attacker moves his body and if the kick misses he will be very vulnerable ro counter attack
    (part two of the vid:)
    *He's not thinking about the other arm swinging to hit him as he moves his hand to grab his wrist
    *the wrist grab would depend on the attacker keeping his arm totally still and would be tricky to implement

No offence to BJJ, I have friends who teach it, and I've found techniques like a Full Nelson escape very useful, but I have more of an interest in Chinese martial arts, especially as I have spent a couple of years conditioning my body based on those principles. (and no I don't mean standing on a cliff pretending to be a tree for 3 hours)
    Stay on topic for a bit.
    This isnt about bjj cma or whatever, this is about some chin na videos YOU posted, you got feedback from me you didnt like and acted like you had sand in your vagina.

You can do chinese ma's all you like, i really dont care how you spend your time, some people hit the bottle and then their wives, some do kung fu, its cool with me.

This is about you posting chin na videos which turn out to be crappy and not effective at all.

please answer vicious flamingos question: what did you think to get out of this thread,posting chin na clips?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point I was trying to make though, is: if you're going to train based on the idea that an opponent will do something, shouldn't you train for him not doing that certain thing too?
    so how do you train for something your oponent doesnt do?!
    if the opponent doesnt do anything you take the lead and attack his fault in his game....

DUH.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i'm gonna stay out of this one too, cause i know at least one person in that video (not the instructor)
    So how many local people do I have insult on youtube before I get Gong Sau'd? :4robot:
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:55pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, here. Why would conditioning one's body for Choy Li Fut or Hung Gar be any different than conditioning for Muay Thai, Karate, BJJ, or Wrestling?

There are three main parts of training any good combat art: basic technique, drills, and sparring. Basic technique is where you learn the mechanics of an attack. Drills teach the optimal use of that attack, often combining it with other techniques. Sparring is where you learn just how difficult it is to actually use that attack against a fighting opponent.

These videos show techniques. But they don't show useful techniques-- ones that are actually able to be reliably performed while sparring. They aren't drilling for a true-combat scenario. And they certainly aren't being performed full speed against an actively resisting opponent.

--Joe

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    So how many local people do I have insult on youtube before I get Gong Sau'd? :4robot:
    Depends, do you think you could take Gerlado Rivera in a fistfight? :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:00pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    Stay on topic for a bit.
    This isnt about bjj cma or whatever, this is about some chin na videos YOU posted, you got feedback from me you didnt like and acted like you had sand in your vagina.

You can do chinese ma's all you like, i really dont care how you spend your time, some people hit the bottle and then their wives, some do kung fu, its cool with me.

This is about you posting chin na videos which turn out to be crappy and not effective at all.

please answer vicious flamingos question: what did you think to get out of this thread,posting chin na clips?
    I already answered that question earlier in the thread. I certainly didn't post the vids so everyone would say "cool vids SW, you r0ck!1", that would be ridiculous and pointless.

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already answered that question earlier in the thread. I certainly didn't post the vids so everyone would say "cool vids SW, you r0ck!1", that would be ridiculous and pointless.
    I think that's pretty much the impression most people got when they saw your original post, which is why you got jumped as hard as you did. Certainly next time you start a thread you should probably word your post a little more carefully.

So, to repeat myself a bit: Does this mean you're training with the guy in the videos, or training with somebody who's teaching you similiar techniques? Or does this mean you're going to try to learn the techniques by watching the videos?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast