Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:27pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo

Oh, and Shadow Warrior, why were you posting grappling vids if you don't have grappling experience? I mean, not to be an asshole or anything, but...what were you hoping to gain?
    Because I want to make sure I don't waste time studying something which isn't going to work, I was hoping to get some comments on whether the vids show useful techniques or not, and why.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:30pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, that was for you. :toothy2: Nobody escapes the Grappling Inquisition!
    Oh noes! Not the comfy mat! Please not that again!

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:31pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Warrior
    Because I want to make sure I don't waste time studying something which isn't going to work, I was hoping to get some comments on whether the vids show useful techniques or not, and why.
    Does this mean you're training with the guy in the videos, or training with somebody who's teaching you similiar techniques? Or does this mean you're going to try to learn the techniques by watching the videos? I'm hoping, nay, praying that you mean the former.

And if validation/criticism of what you're learning(?) is what you wanted, notice how you did not ask anything that could possibly have been interpreted as "What do people think of these videos, thumbs up or thumbs down?". You simply posted them and said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "These look good."
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/09/2007 3:36pm at .

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response. It's obvious to even a layman like myself that someone would'nt leave their arms hanging out, and that they would struggle. I take that as a given when I'm watching videos like that. But I'm also assuming that the point is that you grab the hand as soon as it reaches you, and perform the action (wrist lock or whatever) straight away, so it is one fluid movement with no stopping. The video stops and starts to show each step of the move in detail. Only a total idiot would actually try to perform the moves like that. So once you know each step, you "join them" together into one fast movement, and then use that on a sparring partner, or as part of a form.

The criticism of the vids seems to be that it's being done slowly with no resistance, rather than the actual techniques themselves.
    you assume these things.

this is what i see: two fat guys playing push hands or something.
    the attack isnt real, the defense isnt real, the guy KEEPS breaking off his moves to chat to the students, this means he's insecure or doesnt have a proper lessonplan.

nowhere in the video you see the technique fully and at proper speed so you tell me what you've learned by watching the video you just posted on here.

technical things: the guy leans back and overstretches his back way to much, if you wanna hang that much backwards why dont you just deliver a lowkick in his nuts/inside legs etc?
    why rub his wrists?

Then the dood swings in with some bs punch, ok fair enough, the other guy blocks it in a way thats even flawed in traditional kung fu, i myself have a choy lee fut background and i was taught that with that block you turn in your arm more towards that arm.
    still a bs block though.
    There is no guard, no proper footwork, movements are slow and stiff and the guy who is defending isnt concentrating on his art, he's more into bragging **** to the students.

want more?

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:33pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy, go to your local BJJ or judo school and sign up. It works and it has been tested against fully resisting opponents. In fact in class YOU will test it with fully resisting opponents.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this mean you're training with the guy in the videos, or training with somebody who's teaching you similiar techniques? Or does this mean you're going to try to learn the techniques by watching the videos?

And if validation/criticism of what you're learning is what you wanted, notice how you did not ask anything that could possibly have been interpreted as "What do people think of these videos, thumbs up or thumbs down?". You simply posted them and said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "These look good."
    And this is what unleashed the dogs of war. :qleft1:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to judo/sambo/BJJ, the "why" is simple, you would train techniques against somebody who might not want you to catch him in said technique, so you will become good at applying techniques against people who are not just standing there
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response. It's obvious to even a layman like myself that someone would'nt leave their arms hanging out, and that they would struggle. I take that as a given when I'm watching videos like that. But I'm also assuming that the point is that you grab the hand as soon as it reaches you, and perform the action (wrist lock or whatever) straight away, so it is one fluid movement with no stopping. The video stops and starts to show each step of the move in detail. Only a total idiot would actually try to perform the moves like that. So once you know each step, you "join them" together into one fast movement, and then use that on a sparring partner, or as part of a form.

The criticism of the vids seems to be that it's being done slowly with no resistance, rather than the actual techniques themselves.
    No, the problem is more than just that.

Notice how the big guy just stops his attack when the instructor wants the attack to stop. That doesn't happen. Ever. An attacker will continue his forward momentum. So the defender, whose technique relies upon the opponent being in a fixed position, would become fuddled by the fact that his attacker will not assume that position.

Look at how long it takes between the point the attacker freezes and the point where the defender has an actual, solid grip on his arm. Even sped up to full speed, it's ridiculous to assume the attacker wouldn't be able to retract his arm before the lock is set in.

And that doesn't even account for the rest of the attacker's body, which this demonstration assumes would simply remain in whatever position the defender places it.

--Joe

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read the whole thread, but my comments on the videos:

1) People do not leave their arms out to be grabbed/broken in a real fight. You are either going to get punched repeatedly in the face, or get grabbed trying to attempt standing arm breaks like that.

2) The only joint locks/breaks that can be trained to a point of being reliable, are ones where you control your opponent, and control the break from the beginning to the end with little chance of your opponent countering. If both your opponents feet are on the floor, you are NOT in control.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 more mayor things: somehwere halfway he pushes the big guys hips....he goes what? half a foot backwards?
    wow..thats really important...wait...the defender was still in his reach...he didnt have any guard up to protect himself...guess not sucha smart move after all.

point 2: towards the end, he misses the cross/overhook punch of the attacker cos he wasnt paying attention.
    THEN he sort off stops the technique,positions himself to the other side of his right arm and does the wrist plus elbow 'take down'.

this works in fantasyland my friend.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast